Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » A Time for Tomes

Author Topic: A Time for Tomes
Edward Douglas
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for Edward Douglas   Email Edward Douglas         Edit/Delete Post 
Phlep turned his head sharply, his eyes two wide nervous orbs, when he heard the slam of the back door. He stopped sweeping and as he straightened up the ache in his back settled with a pop.

"Hello!" He expected one of the librarians to answer, only, no one did.

He held his broom up close to his right shoulder and slowly emerged from the narrow row of shelves near the back of the library. It was then that he noticed the streaks of mud across the floor. Cautious, he let his eyes wander and his ears hone in on any sign that anyone else was about. Dim lighting and silence filled the two senses. The knuckles of his hands that gripped the broom grew whiter

[Feedback please: Is this enough of a start so the reader wants to read on?]

Posts: 133 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I am having a hard time following this.

quote:
Phlep turned his head sharply, his eyes two wide nervous orbs, when he heard the slam of the back door. I don't like the order of this first sentence. Is the door slaming what made him turn his head? If so, you should have the door slam first before we see phelp's reaction. If not, then you need to show us why he turned his head. Also his eyes were wide and nervous? This seems like too strong of a reaction for the slaming of a door in the library especially since in the next paragraph he expects it to be a librarian, unless he is doing something he shouldn't. He stopped sweeping and as he straightened up the ache in his back settled with a pop.

He held his broom up close to his right shoulder and slowly emerged I don't like emerged here. It doesn't fit. I guess I always think of someone seeing something emerge not emerging themselves, but maybe it is just me. from the narrow row of shelves near the back of the library. It was then that he noticed the streaks of mud across the floor. I need more here. Streaks leading from the door to the outside or just random streaks here and there? Do the streaks look like footprints or as if something muddy was dragged? Cautious, he let his eyes wander This wording is odd to me. Is he looking around trying to find the source of the mess? That is what I think he should be doing, but the word "wander" doesn't give me that impression. and his ears hone the word hone is a little strong and makes me wonder if he has exceptional hearing. in on any sign that anyone else was about. Dim lighting and silence filled the two senses. Hmmm, I don't know how dim light can fill the sense of sight. How about being more straight forward and saying that he didn't see or hear anything. The knuckles of his hands that gripped the broom grew whiter I feel like this is too strong of a reaction for just seeing mud streaked on the floor.

Here is my overall view on the first thirteen. I see a janitor sweeping the floor of the library after hours. He hears the door open and shut, and for some reason this really freaks him out. So he investigates and sees mud on the floor and freaks out even more.

I understand that he is alone and isn't expecting anyone else to be in the building, but I still feel that his reaction is over the top, unless he has a reason to be afraid. Is he planning on doing something wrong? Is someone after him? If he has more reason to be scared, I think you need to tell us or at least hint at it.

I do think he should be apprehensive and a little frightened by the events, but the imagery you are giving suggest he is terrified ("eyes two wide nervous orbs" and "The knuckles of his hands that gripped the broom grew whiter"), and I just don't think the situation is terrifying. But maybe it is just me.

I hope I don't seem to harsh, but right now I probably wouldn't read on. I have no sense of character and the situation isn't mysterious or creepy enough to make me curious. I think a few things need to be reworked.

Good luck with this. I hope this helps.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edward Douglas
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for Edward Douglas   Email Edward Douglas         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Thanx for the detailed critique. I'll work on it. I tried to give an impression that Phlep is normally nervous and scares easily, and that, although he wasn't really expecting a librarian, he hoped one was the cause of the disturbance. Maybe that's what I need to say. The direction of the streaks are explained a few lines after the first 13, but may need to change that around some. Don't know.

Again, thanx for taking the time to comment, it's much appreciated.

Posts: 133 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insectica411
Member # 8862

- posted      Profile for insectica411   Email insectica411         Edit/Delete Post 
The premise is full of potential but I think more could be done to build the fear that the main character is feeling.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse D
Member # 3241

- posted      Profile for Jesse D   Email Jesse D         Edit/Delete Post 
Phlep turned his head sharply, his eyes two wide nervous orbs, when he heard the slam of the back door. He stopped sweeping and as he straightened up the ache in his back settled with a pop. Awkward phrasing here that doesn't seem to add anything to the scene. It detracts from the action and breaks the suspense of the scene. Why throw in some mundane detail like this that makes it seem like he's casually stretching rather than tensing up. To me it contradicts the nervousness he's feeling.

He held his broom up close to his right shoulder Right shoulder? Is this important? Seems extraneous and just thrown in to make it sound more detailed. If you're adding in detail for the sake of detail, it ends up sounding contrived, and to me that's what this sounds like and slowly emerged I agree - emerging in this case would fit better from an observer's perspective, not your POV character from the narrow row of shelves near the back of the library. It was then that he noticed the streaks of mud across the floor. Cautious, he let his eyes wander and his ears hone in on any sign that anyone else was aboutToo passive. Sounds like he's allowing his eyes and ears to take action, rather than having the heightened senses that comes with curiosity or caution. What's wrong with saying, "His eyes roamed for a sign of anyone...", etc. Dim lighting and silence filled the two senses. Confusing. Nothing wrong with phrasing that more simply so that your meaning is clear. The knuckles of his hands that gripped the broom grew whiter Wordy. You can cut half those words and still say the same thing - with more force.

Despite the clear problems with word choice and sentence structure, you might have something of a story here. You just don't show enough in these first 13 to hook me.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
"two wide nervous orbs" stops me right there in the first sentence. It smacks of a writer casting around to find a way to say something in a "dramatic" way when drama isn't needed.

Broadly I'd then agree with other crits above... it's over-wordy for what it's trying to do and it isn't entirely clear. Neither are necessarily as serious in novels as in short stories, but combined, they make this less effective at conveying atmosphere than I think you want it to be.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edward Douglas
Member # 8872

I appreciate all the input. I'm trying to get the start just right, most of the rest of the story is written. Seems like the hook, the synopsis, and the query are the hardest to pin down.

Here is a second draft of my first 13. I am stepping back a bit before the original scene I posted. Again, let me know if you'd read on...

Phlep just couldn't get ahead. He found odd jobs around town just to make ends meet. Still his rent was overdue, and he knew his landlord would not wait much longer before sending his enforcers after him. Cleaning up the library after-hours was the best job he had for it paid well, and more often than any of the other jobs he did around the city. The bits of coin he earned cleaning up other peoples messes was barely enough to live off of and it was not always available to earn. And what with winter coming on, and less people needing the extra help, Phlep feared how he would make a living. That's why he worked harder this evening. He needed to get paid by tomorrow and wanted the place sparkling for when the head librarian came in the next morning.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize for this post not really dealing with your writing content. If I miss responding right away I like to wait for any rewrite since most of my thoughts are covered or you are already in a rewrite...

but for what its worth every time i see this post the name Phlep makes me think about Michael Phelps...not sure if you want that.

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edward Douglas
Member # 8872

Hey Dark Warrior,

That's a curious take, but at least if something I have written plays on your mind then maybe I'm doing a little something right. Hee Hee Hee, not sure that's how I wanted to though...

BTW Phlep is shorter and older than Phelps and has a slight gut from drinking to much of his landlord's beer.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.