Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » (Fantasy) Soul Survivor

Author Topic: (Fantasy) Soul Survivor
tilinbl
Member # 8847

- posted      Profile for tilinbl   Email tilinbl         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had this story stuck in my head for a very long time, and when ever I thing back to it, it always starts out the same. Here are the first 13.

As I look back in life, the first memories I have as a child were my parents and I traveling to the great city of Belyona and being attack by trolls. My mother and father were both killed, and I was taken as a slave. I was only 10 years old at the time. Things they made me do still haunt me to this day. Once while cleaning the scraps of meat off bones, I decided to take a bite, and I paid dearly for it. The larger of the trolls caught me, and bit my thumb off, to teach me a lesson I guess. Many days have pasted and I haven’t seen another person, just these trolls. Days turned into years. Once when the hunters we’re out the younger trolls decided they were going to cook me, they tied me to a log and put me over a fire. At first the pain was great, the smell of hair and skin still haunt me.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack!

While there are grammatical mistakes out the ying-yang on this one, there are a lot of really interesting images, and moments that almost work. It seems like this one is a real diamond in the rough.

My advice for you is to make really good friends with some of the grammar pros here at Hatrack, because it seems like there is a really good writer in you, underneath a bit of language difficulties.

My take,

As I look back in life, the first memories I have as a child were my parents and I traveling to the great city of Belyona and being attack by trolls.sounds off, I'm not sure how to fix it My mother and father were both killed, and I was taken as a slave. I was only 10 years old at the time. TheThings they made me do still haunt me to this day.Like what? Once while cleaning the scraps of meat off bones, I decided to take a bite, and I paid dearly for it. The larger of the trolls caught me, and bit my thumb off, to teach me a lesson, I guess. Many days passed, and I hadn't seen another person, just these trolls. The Days turned into years. Once when the hunters were out, the younger trolls decided they were going to cook me, they tied me to a log and put me over a fire. At first the pain was great, the smell of hair and skin still haunt me. not a complete sentence

Hope this helps.
~Sheena

[This message has been edited by shimiqua (edited November 24, 2009).]

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack.

I have a problem with the tone of this piece. The words are very matter of fact and almost cheery at times, but the subject is very dark. I am not sure if this is what you intended.

Here are some thoughts.

quote:
As I look back in life, the first memories I have as a child were my parents and I traveling to the great city of Belyona and being attack by trolls.

The first sentence is important in setting tone. The "As I look back on my life" begining suggests that the mc is looking fondly back over his life, and it is rather jarring at the end of this sentence to find that they were attacked by trolls, even more so that his parents were killed.

This is just an example on how to set the dark tone.

"I have very few memories of my parents, but the day they were killed by the trolls is carved in my mind."

I would like to have more detail on the attack by the trolls, how the parents died, did they try to protect her, etc.

quote:
My mother and father were both killed, and I was taken as a slave. I was only 10-years-old at the time. Things they made me do still haunt me to this day. I agree with the other commenter, give a few details. Once while cleaning the scraps of meat off bones, I decided to take a bite, and I paid dearly for it. This is another example where the tone is matter of fact. The mc just "decided to take a bite?" I am guessing that the mc was not well fed and starving. How about describing intense hunger as a motivator which would also paint how horrible the mc was being treated. The larger of the trolls caught me, and bit my thumb off, to teach me a lesson I guess. A troll bit off the mc's thumb and the mc just shruggs and says I guess it was to teach me a lesson? Way too matter of fact. Many days have pasted and I haven’t seen another person, just these trolls. Days turned into years. Once when the hunters we’re out the younger trolls decided they were going to cook me, they tied me to a log and put me over a fire. At first the pain was great, the smell of hair and skin still haunt me.

The rest could be better fleshed out with some vivid details. Like describing the feelings of isolation and the pain of the fire.

Anyway, the tone is real problem for me. Carefully choose how you describe things, think about how your mc would remember these horrible events in his/her life.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by MAP (edited November 24, 2009).]

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edward Douglas
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for Edward Douglas   Email Edward Douglas         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings,

It is highly unlikely that anyone's first memories would be from when they are 10 years old. Think back on your life and you will find memories going probably into your toddler years. I hold a vivid memory from when I was still in a high chair, for example. Nonetheless, you can fix this by removing the word first:

Something like:

As I look back on my life I don't remember much before trolls attacked my parents and me as we journeyed to Belyona. I was just ten years old at the time and my parents were killed in the attack; probably the reason why I don't remember much about my childhood before then...

I'm having trouble following the rest of the opening, probably because of the tense and grammar issues, but I think I understand the premise.

I was taken captive by the trolls and made their slave. The things they made me do still haunt me to this day...

Here I think you need to give a more grim account of "the things" than the example you lay out of scraping meat off bones. What that would be is up to you, but to me scraping meet off bones does not seam a very harsh thing considering what the captors are. Did they make your MC trap passers by? Did they use you to lure others to their den? That sort of "the things they made me do" stuff.

I wouldn't use the phrase "still haunt me" twice during the opening. Find an alternative for one of the appearances.

You have, nonetheless, made me curious as to why our narrator remembers being burned alive so I would probably want to find out.

Keep writing.

Posts: 133 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stutson
Member # 8884

- posted      Profile for stutson   Email stutson         Edit/Delete Post 
The reminiscent tone might make more sense if there were a thought up front indicating that she is better off now, but that might be less of a hook, knowing that she escaped. The way you have it now, I'm wondering if she did or ever will.

Posts: 60 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tilinbl
Member # 8847

- posted      Profile for tilinbl   Email tilinbl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for the input, I'll work on the area's you all pointed out. Will repost again soon.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Palmer
Member # 8877

- posted      Profile for Emily Palmer   Email Emily Palmer         Edit/Delete Post 
He was 10 when he was captured by trolls. He has no memories before he was 10? Yeah, right. Figure out the childhood. Or simply start with something like: "I was ten when the trolls attacked."

You mention "things they made me do." Yet the things mentioned are done to him, not by him. There is nothing about what they made him do.

His thumb was bitten off for taking a bite of meat? Um, sure. But the reaction is too understated. Your character was maimed.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lionhunter
Member # 8766

- posted      Profile for Lionhunter   Email Lionhunter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

He was 10 when he was captured by trolls. He has no memories before he was 10? Yeah, right. Figure out the childhood. Or simply start with something like: "I was ten when the trolls attacked."

You mention "things they made me do." Yet the things mentioned are done to him, not by him. There is nothing about what they made him do.

His thumb was bitten off for taking a bite of meat? Um, sure. But the reaction is too understated. Your character was maimed.

I'm going to play the devil's advocate.
If the kid had a nice childhood 'till he was 10, and then got captured into a life of misery and torment, it would make sense to forget those happy times, because in his mind, they would be in contrast with the present torture, or past,in this case. If he would forget those times, the reality of his slavery would become normal. It's just a way to adapt, really.

Again, he was tortured, so he didn't have many choices, in fact, he had none, so another way for the mind to cope with it is to give him fake choices, these what if's, what if i didn't do that, or that? He sees himself guilty of things he wasn't in control of, which in turn, gives him a little freedom.

As for the thumb, well... after a while, such pain can be told just as calm.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hardly an expert on the subject of childhood amnesia, but I know that for some people it can be severe. My mom has only two memories from before she was thirteen years old. Add that to the trauma of his parents murder and I find it plausible that the MC would have problems remembering his (her?) childhood.

That said, I would recommend you (the author) know what the MC's childhood is. I as a reader would expect it to be important somewhere along in the story, especially since the MC doesn't know it. Where are the MC's grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins? Siblings? What would the MC have been if it weren't for the trolls?

You might also want to make sure you pin down the moment in time and space from which your MC is narrating his past. Does the MC-as-narrator know stuff now that he didn't know when the action of the story was occurring?

Re: the introduction as a whole - I'm intrigued by the idea of being raised a slave to trolls, but by the end of the first 13 I'm impatient for something to actually happen (i.e. to be shown action instead of being told about it).

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Palmer
Member # 8877

- posted      Profile for Emily Palmer   Email Emily Palmer         Edit/Delete Post 
The last two posters have made some good points I did not consider. But I was merely stating my own impression. And that was only based on the first three sentences.

A further note -- the pacing needs a lot of work. If I learned anything from Orson Scott Card, it's how to pace a novel.

There isn't really a scene here. I want a scene. Show the trolls attacking the poor kid. Show his parents' murder. Show him treated horribly by his captors. The material in those first lines could take several chapters.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.