Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Wound

Author Topic: Wound
JSchuler
Member # 8970

- posted      Profile for JSchuler   Email JSchuler         Edit/Delete Post 
The first 13 for my first chapter (working title: Wound)

Revision 3:

quote:
Interstellar travel will make you crazy.

It is not a function of the claustrophobic accommodations, or the limited options for companionship. The fact that you are forbidden from contacting the outside doesn’t enter into it. In the end, it all comes down to the wake, and the wake, if untreated, will eat your brain.

Rio Samada secured the imager to her head. She had grown quite proficient at giving herself examinations. She discovered she was a model patient. That was good, as the lockdown prevented her from seeking out better company.

Rio thought, and the wall lit up. Why did she accept this job? Neurons flared like a line of firecrackers, slowed down a million times and displayed on the wall: a question given form.

Revision 2:

quote:
Two weeks in this tin can, it was starting to smell. The radiation coil for laundry services broke down a couple days in. Water recycling was operating at half efficiency. Rio figured the air filtration system hadn’t been serviced in decades, and there was no option to crack a window. She had no problems breathing, so someone must have spent money on the CO2 scrubbers. Still, who knew what would break next. Rio started keeping her pressure suit with her at all times, and she wasn’t the only one. Some never took theirs off.

If this ended badly, would people risk their necks to pick over their remains a hundred years from now? How many laws would they break for the privilege? Rio liked the symmetry in the thought, though she doubted this ship would be anything more

Revision 1:

quote:
Turbulence happens all the time in the vacuum of space. It was probably just a bird; they’re frozen out here so they hit harder. Rio Samada laughed with the rest of the passengers. The jokes kept their minds distracted.

Normally, they would have welcomed the excitement. Running dark, for all the romantic imagery, was boring. Forbidden from communicating with the outside and unable to see where they were going, they were little different than prisoners with kind wardens. It was bad enough without having to worry about things that go bump in the night. Still, it did spare Rio from listening to another mind-numbing conversation about the evolution of ethnies among Pioneer populations.

Then the order came down: all passengers return to quarters.

Original:

quote:
Turbulence happens all the time in the vacuum of space. It was probably just a bird; they’re frozen out here so they hit harder. Rio Samada laughed with the rest of the passengers. The jokes kept their minds distracted. For now, they were fine. The worst injury among them was a bruised elbow. Let me help. She can kiss it and make it feel better. Childish, but they laughed anyway, anything to prevent them from wondering why the crew was so frantic. Then the order came down: all passengers return to quarters. The laughter stopped. Like a good soldier, Rio did what she was told, and then she waited. When the wounded were recovered, they knew where to find her.
Her room was not one of the cramped closets that others had been assigned.

Would you read further?

I'm also concerned about the formatting here. I like having the dialog here stripped of its independence and collapsed into the single paragraph, but I don't know if it makes it too hard to follow.

Currently the chapter is at 2k, maybe half-written. If anyone is interested in reviewing the first draft when finished, please let me know.

[This message has been edited by JSchuler (edited January 14, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by JSchuler (edited January 17, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by JSchuler (edited January 18, 2010).]

Posts: 388 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D2
Member # 8930

- posted      Profile for D2   Email D2         Edit/Delete Post 
The tense shifts are jarring (happens all the time vs. it was, for example). It made sense once I went over it a little, but it definitely made me skip a beat, and I'd avoid having the first thirteen start out like that. I don't think matching them up would take away from the tone of the paragraph, but that's just me.

For some reason, and I've been trying and failing to put my finger on it, the sentence Childish, but ... so frantic. doesn't sit well with me. I'm not sure what it is -- it might be the last part, wondering why the crew was so frantic. Maybe if that were direct? I'll try and pin that down and get back to you. Sorry I'm so vague!

I think the dialogue is fine as is -- it's a little indirect, but it helps to paint the scene as a whole, instead of breaking it down into pieces. It's easier to imagine the passengers all at once instead of one specific passenger interacting with a few specific others. For an intro, I think that's a good thing, but it's definitely a stylistic choice that doesn't last long -- maybe once she's in her cabin, switch to more direct dialogue?

The only (somewhat nitpicky) thing I'd want to correct about that is the pronoun difference between Let me help and [/i]She can kiss and make it better[/i]. If you think of those two lines as one person saying it and another responding, it makes total sense, but the way it's written, it seems (at least to me) like someone is saying both, which'd throw that second part into third person, and that's a little confusing.

The hook of a beat up/run down crew in space is tenuous, but it's there. I think a spaceship crew, especially a military one, is a hard sell, but I'd probably keep reading. I do like that you manage to describe this scene without ever directly saying "They are a crew and they are in a ship in space," if you know what I mean.

Rio Samada is a great name.

[This message has been edited by D2 (edited January 13, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by D2 (edited January 13, 2010).]

Posts: 40 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't read on.

Did they hit a bird in space? Who is kissing elbows?

"When the wounded were recovered, they knew where to find her"
What does this mean? It's just thrown in there, and doesn't really make sense, especially when earlier we are told the worst injury was a bruised elbow. Are we talking about something else? this needs to be clearer.

Is Rio actually a soldier? she seems to display very un-soldier like qualities.(laughing, kissing elbows, etc.)

If by dialogue you mean the "Let me help. She can kiss it and make it feel better." I didnt even realize it was dialogue until i read the comments; I had figured it was a disjointed thought of Rio's. I can't really see anything else here that would be considered dialogue.

Unlike D2, I would have almost rather you said "They are a crew and they are in a ship in space." because I would understand what was going on. As is, I think Rio IS in space, but I don't think she is part of the crew.

Perhaps its just the wording/style, but I don't feel like there is a coherant string or structure here, and I was not "grabbed" by this opening, sorry

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JSchuler
Member # 8970

Heh, this is why I posted it. It made sense to me, but as I feared that's looking like that's only because I wrote it. I am getting ideas on where to work on it, though. Namely, I'm looking at a complete re-write of "For now ... frantic."

But keep 'em coming!

Posts: 388 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nagrom
Member # 8968

- posted      Profile for Nagrom   Email Nagrom         Edit/Delete Post 
I see two nice items that draw my interest:

- a world where frozen birds float in space (Why? Did some disaster happen? I'm not suggesting you answer those questions. Just saying it's good to raise such questions in people's minds.)
- the protagonist is special because she rates a larger room and people will apparently seek her out

If you could incorporate a little more information on what the book was about in these lines (e.g., does the ship or Rio have some mission? Are the people refugees? Passengers on a luxury liner? Pioneers?), that would help make me want to read further.

The embedded dialog isn't working for me. I can only guess at what it might be. Maybe the pronoun confusion D2 refers to is due to it?

You're probably using "like a good soldier" as a simile since you imply Rio is a passenger: "Rio Samada laughed with the rest of the passengers." But since we know so little about her at this point, it might be literal, as Devnal points out. So I'd rephrase that.

Using passive ("when the wounded were recovered") makes me envision people recovering the wounded, that is, going out and gathering some other wounded people, especially since you've said that the passengers weren't particularly hurt. But I'm guessing you want to refer to the passengers, meaning something like "after the wounded recovered." I agree with Devnal that you should clarify that.

[This message has been edited by Nagrom (edited January 14, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by Nagrom (edited January 14, 2010).]

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JSchuler
Member # 8970

1st revision up.

So... would you guys feel betrayed if you kept reading and found that the whole bird thing really was just a joke?

Nagrom
Member # 8968

I see now that you pointed it out. The laughter's about someone having made a joke about frozen birds. Separating it into a separate paragraph like you did helps. It might be fine now, or you might try rephrasing to something like "Someone shouted that it was probably just a bird...."

The new second paragraph works much better for me in setting the scene and my expectations. I like it.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

Like night and day; amazing how some small changes can relate something so much clearer!

Turbulence happens all the time in the vacuum of space.(not sure If I believe this; shouldn't a vacuum be void of turbulence? my understanding is that turbulence is due to changes in pressure, etc. I'm no scientist though) It was probably just a bird; they’re frozen out here so they hit harder.(This sentence didn't really make sense to me the first time, but now I see it as probably dialogue, im guessing someone, or Rio herself, is saying it. I would like to see someway to discern your dialogue though. I think you should do dialogue normally, but at the very least, italicized) Rio Samada laughed with the rest of the passengers. The jokes kept their minds distracted.
Normally,(no comma) they would have welcomed the excitement. Running dark, for all the romantic imagery, was boring(I really liked this sentence). Forbidden from communicating with the outside and unable to see where they were going, they were little different than prisoners with kind wardens(another good one). It was bad enough without having to worry about things that go bump in the night (didn't like this sentence so much. I would suggest saying its a nervous laugh that Rio shares with the passengers and then leave this part out altogether. By this time im already over the whole turbulence thing). Still, it did spare Rio from listening to another mind-numbing conversation about the evolution of ethnies among Pioneer populations.

Then the order came down: all passengers return to quarters.

--------

We now have a much clearer idea of where Rio is and why she is there. She is a pioneer going to a new world. I have to mention it again though because I feel its important - I'm not a fan of how you are doing the dialogue. The frozen chicken dialogue is confusing right now. And the "all passengers return to quarters" makes me think for some reason that its a note given to Rio, which when I think about it is silly and its probably being announced over a speaker or "text messaged" to her personal handheld computer, or something along those lines. But the way its presented reminds me of a telegraph or something. MHO

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JSchuler
Member # 8970

Devnal, I want to revisit that dialog after I get a few more responses from different readers. Since it is also causing Nagrom problems, it will definitely be reworked. The 1st revision was limited to that section as it was really messing up both everyone who responded, so there was urgency there

I really do like your summaries of my lines. So, let me put a couple questions to you:

The issue you have with "the order came down": does that image annoy you in any way? I could make it more specific, but for the purposes of my story, it doesn't actually matter how it comes down, whether through a handwritten note or telepathy. It's something I'm comfortable letting people fill in as they wish.

What if I changed the word "Pioneer" with something less generic. Grasping for a random term, let's say I rewrote that as "among Alvinite populations." How would that shape your interpretation?

(Does quick Google search, sees that "Alvinite" is used in some random comic book, and scratches that name off the list)

Devnal
Member # 6724

"The order came down" wouldnt really phase me enough to stop reading, I probably just noticed it more because it was the last sentence and I think i would be fine with it if I just kept reading.

I would Keep pioneer. I know what a pioneer is and it shapes what Rio is and where she is going and why; a lot of questions are answered and possibilities are opened with it.

Alvinite Populations would make me scratch my head. I'd stress that you should leave Pioneer in there.

Unless im totally off base with who and what Rio is; and if I am it makes the sentence (and the mind-numbing conversation) much less important and MUCH less interesting.

[This message has been edited by Devnal (edited January 14, 2010).]

Edward Douglas
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for Edward Douglas   Email Edward Douglas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(not sure If I believe this; shouldn't a vacuum be void of turbulence? my understanding is that turbulence is due to changes in pressure, etc. I'm no scientist though)

I'm partially in agreement with Devnal here, because I too was thrown off by your use of the word turbulence as an effect in space. This could only be true if Rio's ship is in the vicinity of a star and solar wind was causing the turbulence:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/070102_turbulence.html

Of course, being that I am kept unaware of where the ship is as is Rio, I am left to assume that a star is nearby enough to cause the turbulence and would wait for later details on the science to emerge confirming this. If none do I'd probably put the book down at that point, but not now.

Of course the turbulence felt could also suggest that the ship is traveling very fast and hit the turbulence as it sped past a star system. Either way the author will owe the reader an explanation, I think.

Posts: 133 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JSchuler
Member # 8970

Ok, the turbulence thing was just a joke. The jokes are being removed from the opening.

Bad move on my part. The first thing you do when writing sci-fi is ask the audience for a willing suspension of disbelief, and my first sentence wants their disbelief intact. Even if it was clearly dialog, I think this problem would still persist.

I'll be rewriting the opening to move it earlier in time.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC talks about how SF/F writers have to be very careful with metaphors in his book, HOW TO WRITE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY, and jokes probably work the same way.

Besides, readers can really only "get" them when they know what the context is, and there isn't enough context at the beginning of a speculative fiction story for jokes to work very well.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JSchuler
Member # 8970

Second revision up.

I've actually read that book, twice, but it seems I still need to learn from experience

Nagrom
Member # 8968

I like Revision 1 the best. The second paragraph gives some nice imagery of some type of quarantined pioneers. Though I agree with the comments about the turbulence and the humor, I like the general approach.

Revision 2 does make me wonder what's so special about the people in the ship that people would risk their necks to pick over their remains, but the first paragraph seemed to drag a bit.

Devnal
Member # 6724

I liked the 1st revision better.
JSchuler
Member # 8970

OK, you guys like the first revision better. However, can I ask you to give me your interpretation of what information is provided by the second revision versus the first?
JSchuler
Member # 8970

Third revision is up.

Now, the reason I'm not playing with the first revision is because I think it's leading the reader astray on some points (e.g. Rio's a prisoner or going to colonize a planet). I got the impression from Nagrom's review that the same was happening to the second revision. So, I thought it was time to cut the foreplay and break the fourth wall in the first paragraph.

Nagrom
Member # 8968

I like Revision 3. I don't know what you mean by "wake" in the first paragraph, but that's fine if it gets explained later. I infer that Rio's doing a self-exam to check for it. The wake and Rio's questioning herself about taking the job both raise my curiosity. The wall displaying her thought gives us some interesting imagery.

I'd suggest using some more contractions in the second paragraph to set a more informal mood, e.g. "It isn't a function...." Rio strikes me as a pretty informal kind of lady.

Architectus
Member # 8809

- posted      Profile for Architectus   Email Architectus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully, I can be as helpful for you as you were for me.

I like the third opening. My only problem with it is being in second person. It pulls me away from the story because I feel like I am being spoken to, or even preached at. I originally had written opening part for Anger in second person, but realized the same thing when I read it out loud, so I changed it to third person.

Intersteller travel made her crazy.

It was not a function of the claustrophobic accommodations, or the limited options for companionship. The fact that she was forbidden from . . .

See what I mean?

Also, this draws me into the story more because I am identifying with how someone else feels.

Perhaps combine the first two sentences to avoid three sentences starting with a noun.

Rio Samada secured the imager to her head, which was easy having grown quite proficient at giving herself examinations.

Also, I think that combines the two ideas more so.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stutson
Member # 8884

- posted      Profile for stutson   Email stutson         Edit/Delete Post 
Second revision gives impression that space flight has been going on a long time, and that this trip is illegal. More drive/energy/risk in this one.

First revision is harder to tell how far along in time we are, but that it has something to do with ethnicity of colonizers. This ends with more indication that something bad is about to happen.

Posts: 60 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.