Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » First 13 Lines YA Urban Fantasy

Author Topic: First 13 Lines YA Urban Fantasy
TrishaH24
Member # 8673

- posted      Profile for TrishaH24   Email TrishaH24         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still working on the title (Reaver and Gravesend High are the candidates right now) but here are is the first 13. You guys are always right on with your critiques so I'll let you do your thing. It's a re-worked draft of Reaver and The First Day if anyone wants to go digging around for them.

And thank you!

Predawn light reached through my window and tinted my gauzy curtains pink. I was already awake pacing my room in the tank top and shorts I’d fallen asleep wearing. I couldn’t shake the feeling that I was being watched. More than watched. Hunted. My stomach tightened at the rightness of the word.

The alarm clock on the floor blared to life and I jumped. I kicked it with my heel until the noise died. I needed to get out. We had been in Colorado for all of two months, and it was time to find out just how well I’d adjusted to the altitude.
I slipped on my sneakers without bothering to untie them first and dug around my closet until I found the only jacket I owned. I ran my fingers through my hair and pulled it back into a pony tail to keep it out of my eyes.

Posts: 184 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
I think REAVER AND GRAVESEND HIGH sounds like a cool title itself.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrishaH24
Member # 8673

Lol, thanks, I'll keep that in mind! Naming books is one of my weaknesses.
Posts: 184 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraigMc
Member # 9104

- posted      Profile for CraigMc   Email CraigMc         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my first critique and please remember it's by a guy who thinks he's writing a novel having not written creatively since high school.

I like the beginning and the end "..the rightness of the word". Most likely a problem with only reading the first 13, but it seems like the mood stops..probably doesn't if I could read more. You are showing me how she feels, by her jumping at the alarm clock..but I do that sometimes when I'm not feeling watched. So maybe show more fear...maybe looking around and listening.

By testing the altitude I'm assuming she's going running.

Super minor to me..I'd read on. Nice job

..there I did it..first critique

Posts: 9 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I want to read the new draft, if your looking for readers.

I would suggest starting when she is actually running, and show her looking at the shadows, or fighting against her fear.

But I like this beginning better, I definitely think you are on the right track.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the prologue now done from Sam's POV?

I like it.

It would be nice to know why she feels like she is being hunted. Does she see things out of the corner of her eyes? Does she always have a cold chill or feel eyes on her?

That really is the hook of the opening, and it is a good one. So I think it would nice to expand on that a little more.

One other nit.

quote:
I needed to get out. We had been in Colorado for all of two months, and it was time to find out just how well I’d adjusted to the altitude.

This girl is a runner, so I find it odd that she has been in Colorado for two months and hasn't gone running yet.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
@Craig. Not bad for a first crit.

@Trisha. I like this.
Technically it's pretty solid. Nice descriptions, adjectives, and use of senses. (light, pink, watched, blared)

I agree I'd like to know why she's hunted. Not sure if it's possible to work in this early, but see if you can.

Is it important she fell asleep in a tank top and shorts or is that mood? If mood/character then OK, but not sure if it's strong enough. She's a runner that hasn't run. Maybe she's been hiding? If that's the case, might she fall asleep in a sports bra and running shorts? A few extra words, but stronger character.

She grabs a jacket, but not long pants. It's very early morning, and Colorado in altitude, so it could be cool for that reason. Hopefully it's explained more later what time of year it is. (just mentioning this as an observation, not saying it belongs in 13)

Does she break the clock? I can't turn mine off by kicking it. Having her break it might add to the tension, but I would need to know more about why this morning instead of any other over the last two months. Maybe "they finally found her". Maybe she has to run. Tell me as soon as you can why she "needed" to get out. Maybe she's just stir crazy. Maybe the eyes are watching her home and running can free her up.

I know you've written the story already, my previous paragraph was meant to show some of the things passing through my mind as I read.
AKA I want to know what happens next.
AKA I would read on.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beatles
Member # 9110

- posted      Profile for Beatles   Email Beatles         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Trisha. My first critique here, so pay me no never mind. I like it. Though I will defer to more experienced writers, I disagree that you immediately need to tell why the subject feels watched/hunted. You bait the reader and make them want to know. I would read on. You probably want to answer that question in the first few pages, but not necessarily the first few lines.
Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rahmuss
Member # 9124

- posted      Profile for rahmuss   Email rahmuss         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed reading this, so you must be having fun writing it. I too am hooked to see what happens next, to find out just what she is afraid of.

If you do want to include a bit about how, or by what, she is being watched then you could make a quick note about something she hasn't noticed. Maybe a shadow passes by the window when she's turned away, or maybe a dark figure moves in the woods as she leaves her home. Or maybe it's something different alltogether.

Also, it seems as if she goes from a fairly paranoid emotion suspecting that someone is stalking her to a somewhat casual one where she goes for a jog. You might want to include how frazzled she is somehow. Maybe she forgets to wear her jogging shoes, or maybe she's holding her alarm clock as she leaves (she'd have to pick it up of course), or some other details that shows that her mind is elsewhere.

Hope this helps. Either way I think it is well written, and if you confinue to have fun writing it, then others will have fun reading it. Good luck.

Axe - When she mentioned that she was using her heel to kick the alarm clock I took it to mean that she was more 'stomping' on the alarm clock (mildly) to hit the snooze button rather than right out kicking it.

[This message has been edited by rahmuss (edited June 02, 2010).]

Posts: 21 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrishaH24
Member # 8673

I've been out of town (and away from my laptop!) so it was nice to come home and see a few new comments. Yes, the main character is more lightly stomping her alarm's snooze to shut it off. And I did have a lot of fun writing this book. I'm on the re-write now and it's not as fun, but I'm getting there. Thanks for the comments! And I'll do what I can to show she's frazzled, because yes, she is absolutely distracted by what she feels is "hunting" her.
XD3V0NX
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I really like this story, Trisha. I'm sorry I haven't finished your critique yet. I really will try working on that tonight, because I really like Reaver, from what I've read.

This is a great opening, IMO. And I honestly can say I really like how you have that part there: Hunted. It keeps the suspense going. Like, hunted by what?

Great Job!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.