Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Motes & Meddles - YA Contemporary Fantasy

Author Topic: Motes & Meddles - YA Contemporary Fantasy
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my first actual start of a YA novel that is derived from one I started over a year ago. I'm converting it to YA. This is the first 13:

Second Version

Robyn gazed at the rivulets flowing sideways on the glass of the bus window. Her mood matched the unrelieved gray outside. Her eyes drifted down to the printed email her father sent, clutched in her hand.

How could he rip me away from my second week in college,so he can tell me again about his visions? I know he's dying, but...

She wiped a stray tear away as she thought of the complicated relationship, almost a rivalry, between daughter and dad. It only became worse when Robyn's mother died three years ago.

That was when her father's mind began to drift. He talked of guardian angels and an English village in the sky. She couldn't fathom what madness possessed him.

First Version

Robyn gazed out the bus window at the streaming rivulets flowing sideways on the glass. Her mood matched the unrelieved gray outside. Her eyes drifted down to the printed email her father sent, clutched in her hand.

Come to me as soon as you can, I won't last long. There is something I must tell you that cannot wait. – Dad

She wiped a stray tear away as she thought of the complicated relationship, almost a rivalry, between daughter and dad. It only became worse when Robyn's mother died three years ago.

That was when her father's mind began to drift. He talked of guardian angels and an English village in the sky. She couldn't fathom what madness possessed him.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited June 28, 2010).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrishaH24
Member # 8673

- posted      Profile for TrishaH24   Email TrishaH24         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, from a plot standpoint, you've got me hooked. It's her father's insanity that has me interested. I'm hoping that his crazy ideas will be central to the plot, because they sound so far fetched that I want to know more. But maybe the words "contemporary fantasy" have something to do with that.

Robyn is a little boring at first. When I think gray mood, I automatically associate a certain level of blandness to the person. But when she wipes away a tear, I realized she's more emotionally invested in whatever is going on with her father than I thought. That she's not "bland", she's just upset. I didn't understand how she and her father could have a rivalry going on. Usually a rivalry means they are competing for something. But maybe you find that out later?

The only other thing I can say is this is a very heavy writing style. Especially for YA. Not that you can't make it work for you, but I think you were going for a sense of gravity in this situation, and I came away with something more complicated than I want when reading YA. If I picked this up off the floor at a book store and read the first page, I'd think it belonged in the adult fantasy section, not YA. YA is usually fast paced, and even if it's a dark fantasy, for example, it's usually lighter in the wording. I'm not getting that here. But that's just my opinion! There are a lot of people on here that read YA and each of them might have a different take than me.

Good luck with converting this!

Trisha

Posts: 184 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds interesting.

My main question at this point is how old is Robyn? I'm not getting a sense of that.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think what's going on between father and daughter is both interesting and appropriate to YA. Situations where the child is the reasonable one and the parent is perceived as out to luch seem to resonate with young people.

I like that there is rivalry in the relationship. It's something unusual and for me that's part of the hook. The father's 'madness' is the other part and I would keep reading.

I do see what Trisha is saying about the language, but I personally think it would work fine in the genre, because there is a lot of variety in style and reading level in YA fiction.

A couple nit picks:

quote:
gazed out the bus window at the streaming rivulets flowing sideways on the glass

If you were gazing out the bus window you would probably look past the water on the glass rather than at it.

"streaming rivulets flowing sideways" There's a bit of redundancy in meaning here. Maybe just "rivulets flowing sideways"?

quote:
Come to me as soon as you can, I won't last long. There is something I must tell you that cannot wait. – Dad

The language seems a bit stiff for a note between family members, but maybe that's a peculiarity of the dad/their relationship. Dads I know would probably say "have to" and "can't" rather than "must" and "cannot".

About language in YA again. Here's a bit from a YA novel I really like that does use much heavier writing:

quote:
People observe the colours of a day only at its beginings and ends, but to me it's quite clear that a day merges through a multitude of shades and intonations, with each passing moment. A single hour can consist of thousands of different colours.

I was surprised that the novel quoted above was marketed as YA, but it's just an example of what a broad range there is out there.

I like your title, very whimsical.

[This message has been edited by Ethereon (edited June 28, 2010).]

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Ethereon, is that quote from THE BOOK THIEF?

I was a little confused about the bus. Since you said it was YA, I thought she was on a school bus, but then it occurred to me that maybe she's taking a bus (Greyhound?) to get to her dad.

It might help strengthen the scene if you make that more clear.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
@Corky: Yep. That's Death speaking
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MikeL
Member # 9138

- posted      Profile for MikeL   Email MikeL         Edit/Delete Post 
I think others have made good points: How old is she? What bus, greyhound or school?

I would like to comment on the language, I think it's fine. I myself read The Hobbit at age 7 and The Lord of the Rings at age 8. The language used by Tolkien was and is beyond that of most adult books, but I could still understand it enough to enjoy the story. I state this not to claim a boon for my own intelligence, but to show that YA readers will rise, for the most part, to understand the language written. (...as long as the story keeps them interested.)

I think just a few points mentioned above need to be addressed for clarities sake, but otherwise it is a very good 13.

Posts: 154 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjsampson
Member # 8075

- posted      Profile for sjsampson   Email sjsampson         Edit/Delete Post 
The beginning felt cinematic to me. Certain phrases kept me distanced from the character. I've commented below on the parts that made me feel that way. If you aren't going for 3rd person deep penetration POV, feel free to ignore my comments.

quote:
Robyn gazed at the (1) rivulets flowing sideways on the glass of the bus window. Her mood matched the unrelieved gray outside. (2) Her eyes drifted down (3) to the printed email her father sent, clutched in her hand.

How could he rip me away from my second week in college,so he can tell me again about his visions? I know he's dying, but...

She wiped a stray tear away (4) as she thought (5) of the complicated relationship, almost a rivalry, between daughter and dad (6). It only became worse when Robyn's (7) mother died three years ago.

1) Anything with gaze, saw, watched, etc puts distance between me and your character. If it were me, I'd cut the bolded part and state the sentence as a fact. I'd then start my next sentence with her name.

2) Felt almost cliche.

3) Similar to #1. I'm not sure you need to avoid this one, but close proximity to the other made it stick out.

4) This came across as melodramatic to me because I don't have anything emotionally invested in her yet.

5) Similar to #1. Stating anything with "she thought" is going to create distance.

6) I'll concede she could think of herself as "daughter" when thinking of the rivalry between them, but that seems more of something an outsider would say.

7) I'd go with a simple "mother" or "her mother." For some reason, having her name here makes me realize there is a narrator besides the character.

I really like your title. I'm curious to know about the visions and the rivalry. What I wrote above isn't a deal breaker for me. If you are going for 3rd person light penetration POV, I'd say you succeeded. I'd still read on. Good luck!

Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want the POV too close. The story ends up being more of a thriller and when the pace picks up I think too close of a POV will slow the action.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryS
Member # 9139

- posted      Profile for TerryS   Email TerryS         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the second beginning better for two primary reasons. When she compared her mood to the "unrelieved gray" outside in the first version I had to assumeshe was older than a teenager to actually think of her mood that way. The second version confirms it by stating she is in college.
The only issue I see is if she would think of the rivalry as "between daughter and dad." Or if she would have just thought "the rivalry between the two of them."

As for point of view, its been something I have myself been working hard to fix and doing a lot of reading on it and I see so many people comment and get stuck on saying must be only one type of penetration in a third person view or similar comments especially after just 13 lines. After reading so many stories and ideas and different ways of writing. I come back to one that is even more appropriate on these forums.

"No one level of penetration is likely to be right for a whole story."
"I've found that the best results come when you find a comfortable middle ground and then let the needs of the story determine how deeply you penetrate the viewpoint character's mind. In some scenes you'll get "hot" and penetrate deeply, letting the audience feel that they've become the viewpoint character. In some scenes you'll "cool off," let the audience retreat from the character and watch things passively for a while. In between,you'll use light penetration to keep us aware of the constant possibility of seeing into the viewpoint character's thoughts, so we aren't startled when things get hot again. You've got to be aware, though, of the full range of possibilities." Orson Scott Card : Characters and Viewpoint - Chapter 17.

[This message has been edited by TerryS (edited June 28, 2010).]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the second version. Great how the setting fits her mood! Teens are often down and can relate to angst, so it can work so long as you don’t stay stuck there. I like the short paragraphs. I actually got a strong sense of being in her head (I'm a fan of close POV for just about any story, especially when I am just getting to know a character). I didn't see any distancing factors until I read some of the other crits.

The third sentence stops me for 2 reasons: Her mood, Her eyes … and “her father sent” sounds a bit off – maybe “She clutched a printed email from her father”?

I like her thoughts in the next para. (It’s all about me…perfect for a freshman.)

The thoughts about “the complicated relationship, almost a rivalry” sounds so analytical, like something a therapist would say. I don’t yet know why it’s complicated (but I trust you’ll get to that). I don’t get the rivalry part at all, when he is apparently off in his own little world (“drift”); that makes me think she might be in more of a caretaker role, looking after her loony father.

I do like the fourth paragraph, in connection with the mother’s death. Since she doesn’t know what madness possesses him, I’m thinking he hasn’t gone to a shrink. Would she have tried to figure him out? (At that age, I read a lot about my mother’s clinical diagnosis to try to understand her.)

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited June 29, 2010).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.