Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Jealousy Kills - Horror - Query letter attempt #1

Author Topic: Jealousy Kills - Horror - Query letter attempt #1
XD3V0NX
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the first attempt to my query letter for Jealousy Kills. These query letters are pretty dang hard, let me just say. This was easier to write, though, than the first book I wrote. That one took fooooorever and it still isn't even close to finish (which is why i took a break on that book for awhile).

Anyway, I would like to know how this Query is. Let me know, please, if it's hooking, or if you would like a partial, what would make it better, or anything else that comes to mind.

Thank you all for your reviews. =]

Justin Adams used to have normal thoughts and intentions, and he used to be a great boyfriend. But then he becomes obsessed with Jessica and gets possessed by a jealous, lust-hungry demon.

JEALOUSY KILLS is my 83,000 word Horror novel taking place in Jacksonville, North Carolina. When Justin’s feelings for Jessica get stronger, he finds himself with several conflicting emotions and feels there’s a dark entity lurking inside him. And it’s an entity that gets so strong a red-eyed demon—taking on the appearance of Justin himself—is released and lies, manipulates, and places evil thoughts into his mind.

Then, when Justin thinks a couple of Jessica’s friends try getting in the way of their relationship, the paranoia he faces from her friends stealing her away will drive him insane, if he hasn’t been driven insane by the demon’s twisted games already.

Now it’s up to Justin to fight what’s inside him before it gets stronger. He must remember how much he cares about Jessica, because that might be the only way to end the demon once and for all.

However, if he doesn’t find a way to overcome it, then he will become the demon, and his jealousy will kill.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Justin Adams used to have normal thoughts and intentions, and he used to be a great boyfriend. But then he becomes obsessed with Jessica and gets possessed by a jealous, lust-hungry demon.

JEALOUSY KILLS is my 83,000 word Horror novel taking place in Jacksonville, North Carolina. I'd cut everything up to this point. You don't have to have a tag line and the tense in yours is confusing.

When Justin’s feelings for Jessica get stronger, instead of the "get stronger", use "becomes obsessed", here. he finds himself with several conflicting emotions and feels there’s a dark entity lurking inside him. I'd be tempted to break this into two sentences. It just doesn't flow smoothly. And it’s an entity that gets so strong that a red-eyed demon—taking on the appearance of Justin himself—is released and lies, manipulates, and places evil thoughts into his mind. Without the inserted "that", I had to read the last sentence through twice.

Then, when Justin thinks a couple of Jessica’s friends try getting in the way of their relationship, the paranoia he faces from her friends stealing her away will drive him insane, omit "from her friends stealing her away". It's repetitive. if he hasn’t been driven insane by the demon’s twisted games already.

Now it’s up to Justin to fight what’s inside him before it gets stronger. He must remember how much he cares about Jessica, because that might be the only way to end the demon once and for all.

However, if he doesn’t find a way to overcome it, then he will become the demon, and his jealousy will kill.

Put the information about the title, genre, and word count at the end.

In general, I think you need to find one or two select details to bring it to life. Perhaps something at the beginning to help us know what Justin was like before he became obsessed and some detail to show how is jealousy is affecting him now, some specific thing that triggers it or a more detailed description of his red-eyed thoughts.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited July 17, 2010).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrishaH24
Member # 8673

- posted      Profile for TrishaH24   Email TrishaH24         Edit/Delete Post 
You have the main points of the story here, but there are a few small things you need to consider.

I think you are switching tenses or something (I can't quite figure it out), but that opening line especially is awkward. Not all bad, but I think you need to fix the way you phrase things:

"Justin Adams used to have normal thoughts and intentions, and he used to be a great boyfriend. But then he becomes..." this is where it sounds awkward. What about:

"But then he became obsessed with [his girlfriend] Jessica and is posessed by a jealous, lust-hungry demon."

And since this is the first time you said Jessica, you might want to explain that she is the girlfriend (like I did in the brackes). You don't have to, but I think it might sound better with it in there.

I think you might be trying to cram the entire story into this query. The second paragraph could be cut out and you aren't going to lose anything. All you have to do is tell who the main character is (Justin), what his conflict is (he's being posessed because he's letting his jealousy get to him) and what is at stake (if he doesn't control himself, he'll end up killing people and lose himself). You're REALLY close! Sometimes I fall into the trap of thinking everything in my story is important enough to be in the query and I have trouble condensing it down.

You do need to end the query with the info about the length and genre of the novel, instead of sticking it in the summary. It threw me off a little.

Other than a little cut and rearrange, you're on the right track. It's a great first attempt at a query!

Good luck!!!

Trisha

[This message has been edited by TrishaH24 (edited July 19, 2010).]

Posts: 184 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chalkdustfairy
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for chalkdustfairy   Email chalkdustfairy         Edit/Delete Post 
What about something that starts out like "Justin Adams is in the fight of his life... against a red-eyed demon who wants to.... (destroy, posess,)" bring in the girlfriend and his only hope/chance.
Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.