Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » "Transicity" -- First 13 Lines

Author Topic: "Transicity" -- First 13 Lines
ChrisDias
Member # 9046

- posted      Profile for ChrisDias   Email ChrisDias         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. I am back. I am almost done "House of Skye". Thanks to everyone that helped. I am diving into the planning stages of my next novel and I wanted to get your feedback.

The novel is called "Transicity". It is somewhat of an absurdist fantasy/science fiction story I can best describe as "Kaufman-esque" (or at least my pale attempt at it).

Here is a quick rundown:

The Palingenesis corporation can unlock the memories of your past lives. Millions have emerged from the process, embracing true immortality. For a group of friends, their dreams and fears are realized. As their lives intertwine and fracture, all three are forced to face against reliving their past or trying to change their future.

First 13 Lines:

“Philippe Cardinal,” he answered. He was in his late thirties. He wore a black heavy cotton longcoat and pressed jeans. Since emerging from the procedure, he had shaved part of his goatee, leaving only the soul patch. An unlit menthol Swisher Sweets cigarillo hung between his digits. He had only recently started the habit. He found his place on the stool. Behind him, the camera crew had hung a black backdrop to matte out the location.
“I thought you indicated on the questionnaire your name was Alexander Bishop?” the interviewer asked off camera through a polished Swiss accent.
“Oh, sorry,” he chuckled, “I thought you meant…before.” He sounded slightly uncomfortable. The fragmented puzzle pieces of his memory were still falling into place.

Thanks all and I appreciate all comments.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited July 20, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by ChrisDias (edited July 24, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by ChrisDias (edited July 24, 2010).]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmiraDay
Member # 9154

- posted      Profile for AmiraDay   Email AmiraDay         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Idea is really good but that the beginning is kind of confusing if you don't know about the past lives thing..
If I hadn't read the introduction I would have thought they were interviewing a demented artist.. However I'm really intrigued by the Idea that people can see that far back in their past, so overall it was good!

Keep on writing,

-Amira

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CharityBradford
Member # 8988

- posted      Profile for CharityBradford   Email CharityBradford         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. The concept is great, but if this is the very first 13 lines, very confusing start.

We need a little background, at least a line to set up context for what we are reading. Good luck, the idea is fascinating.

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything I add should be taken as IMHO (in my humble opinion).
Here's My take:

quote:

“Philippe Cardinal,” he answered. [Answered whom?] He was in his late thirties. He wore a black heavy cotton longcoat and pressed jeans. He found his place on the stool. Behind him, the camera crew had hung a black backdrop to matte out the location. [But the POV knows the location, so, we should, too.]

“And what do you do, Philippe?” the unseen interviewer asked. [Why is the interviewer unseen? Is it a man or woman...the protagonist should be able to guess from the voice.] He had a Swiss accent.

“Painter...baroque, like Nicolas Poussin.”

“I thought you indicated on the questionnaire that you were in interior design?” [What questionnaire?]

“Oh, now? Sorry, I thought you meant before.” [Before what?] He chuckled, slightly uncomfortable. The fragmented puzzle pieces of his memory were still falling into place. [Why? This should be established to the best of the POV's knowledge.]

Where is this?
When is this?
Why should I read on? (There is no promise of anything interesting.)
Is this speculative? (What genre?)
It feels like information is being unnecessarily withheld. The plot should be more than the missing information.

I hope this helps.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisDias
Member # 9046

- posted      Profile for ChrisDias   Email ChrisDias         Edit/Delete Post 
I have edited it and reposted the thirteen lines. I pushed a later part of the conversation to come sooner. The addition of the cigarillo is another point I pay off later on the page with the line, Philippe Cardinal might have smoked until his lungs were coal but Alexander Bishop hadn’t touched tobacco in his life.

I hope this helps.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chalkdustfairy
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for chalkdustfairy   Email chalkdustfairy         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't find the repost, but I liked what I read, reminded me of a Johnny Depp interview.
Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.