Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » First Thirteen Lines of Fantasy Work

Author Topic: First Thirteen Lines of Fantasy Work
rjgraff
Member # 9309

- posted      Profile for rjgraff   Email rjgraff         Edit/Delete Post 
Please tell me what you think!

Farrar had been frustrated before. In a way, he considered it a necessary aspect of life. The greater the challenge, or the more burdensome it became, the more joy one felt when the struggle was a mere memory, usually illuminated on a very shiny medal or shield on his wall. He had numerous awards, although one would be hard pressed to find such a high ranking and elderly magician in the empire without his share of awards. The services to the empire were engraved in gold, and ranged from his abilities at the academy so many years ago to commanding a prestigious imperial legion. Magicians, as part of their nature, were ruthless, ambitious, cunning, arrogant- and Farrar was considered the perfect magician. A long history of serving the empire and higher magicians had slowly pulled him to the

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 08, 2010).]

Version 2- OK, here is an attempted rewrite to show why he's frustrated. I get to that later originally, but I'll try and do it sooner here...

Farrar had been frustrated before. It normally didn't bother him, because he considered it necessary. The greater the challenge, the more joy he felt when the memory was etched in gold on an award hanging from his wall. His awards were many, though you would be hard pressed to find such a high ranking and elderly magician in the empire without his share of rewards. Magicians, as part of their nature, were ruthless,ambitious, arrogant- and Farrar was the perfect magician. As steward of Harrar prison, there was no mind he had not broken, no secret a man's brain could hide from him- except, the cause of his frustration, who's mind had somehow eluded him, sitting in a chair across the desk from the most powerful magician in the world. A ten year old boy.

[This message has been edited by rjgraff (edited December 07, 2010).]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grimwood
Member # 9311

- posted      Profile for Grimwood   Email Grimwood         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm first impression....there's nothing wrong with the voice, not sure if its a good idea starting with an authorial interpretation of a character straight out though. You might be better served with a little action so we can visualise the scene, and then giving us this piece of exposition after.

Just my two bobs worth.

[This message has been edited by Grimwood (edited November 08, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by Grimwood (edited November 08, 2010).]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree.
I like the first sentence. But I need to know why he is frustrated.

Respectfully,
Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennywinnie
Member # 8510

- posted      Profile for Jennywinnie   Email Jennywinnie         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the first sentence, it's a good hook. I think though you should pair down the other sentences a little:

Farrar had been frustrated before. In a way, he considered it a necessary aspect of life. The greater the challenge, [/ cut or the more burdensome it became], the more joy one felt when [ it could be etched in gold for the world to see.] [In Farrar's particular case, this meant being] illuminated on [his medal rack placed pretty conspicuously on his chamber] wall. [new paragraph]

So I think this first 13 has some promise. I like your characterization here. It's a querky, arrogant sort of person and that's likable. Just be sure that your opening sentences aren't too wordy. Mostly, I think you were packing too many phrases in a single sentence. Don't be afraid to use a period, and break some of these ideas up. Also, don't repeat yourself. Look for redundancies, and when you cut some of those out, I think you find that your sentences are a lot more solid.

I'd be happy to take a look, If you need a reader at any point.

[This message has been edited by Jennywinnie (edited November 09, 2010).]

Posts: 70 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda1199
Member # 9295

- posted      Profile for Amanda1199   Email Amanda1199         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. The first sentence is interesting, but perhaps after that show why he's frustrated instead of all the backstory. I don't care much about his medals and service at the moment because nothing is happening to pique my interest.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be better to begin with a personal experience rather than with the count of his decorations.

I, too, like the first sentence, but would follow it with a scene.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
This read very well. As I was reading it I wondered if Farrar's personality was such that he would sit around admiring his medals and awards. It smacks of arrogance and self-accolade (yeah I know that is not a real word), which is a believable trait of the powerful wizardy types, especially the evil ones. Unless he is thinking these thoughts to acknowledge the lunacy of golden awards and schtuff and their valueless nature.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I think right here, in the first 13 lines, we confront the problem every fantasy author struggles with: there is so much to explain before the story can get moving.

You are obviously sneaking world building right into the very first paragraph. It's not bad so far as it goes, but it doesn't stand out either. Lots of writers have their protags ponder the commonplace facts of the world as a way of slipping a background briefing under our noses, but I always find something a bit contrived about that. Still, it's often done that way.

Maybe you could somehow have your protagonist in motion, doing something understandable that leads us to all this information.

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rjgraff
Member # 9309

Thank you for the suggestions!

I would love to talk about how Farrar is frustrated and get more feedback, but that's beyond the thirteen lines... Is there a way I can post more of the writing to get more feedback? I would love for anyone to take a look.

Thanks again!

Posts: 7 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
You could rewrite the first 13 lines to focus on what Farrar is frustrated about this time. Rewritten 13 lines may be posted without any problem.

One way to do that--in fact, a preferred way--is to edit your first post at the beginning of this topic, and add the rewrite as "version 2" under the first version.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my two centavos.

Farrar had been frustrated before. It normally didn't bother him, because he considered it a normal challenge of life. The greater the challenge, the more joy he felt when the memory was etched in gold on an award hanging from his wall. Magicians, as part of their nature, were ruthless, ambitious, arrogant- and Farrar was the quintessential magician. His awards were many, though one would be hard pressed to find such a high ranking and elderly magician within the empire without his share of rewards. As steward of Harrar prison, there was no mind he had not broken, no secret a man's brain could hide - except, the cause of his frustration. Sitting in a chair across the desk from the most powerful magician in the world was one who's mind had somehow eluded him - a ten year old boy.

I like where this story is going, btw.

[This message has been edited by PB&Jenny (edited December 09, 2010).]

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rjgraff
Member # 9309

Thank you. Quintessential is a marvelous word, by the way. I love it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.