Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » In Search of a Title

Author Topic: In Search of a Title
coralm
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for coralm   Email coralm         Edit/Delete Post 
So I finished my NaNoWriMo novel, and I'm starting the revision phase. I've been calling the book FIRESTORM since about the second day writing it, but I really don't like that title.

I thought I'd ask for a random sampling of opinions on several alternatives that I've come up with. The logline I've come up with so far is: Sindari is a slave embroiled in a scheme to free her people from the empire that subjugated her culture, relying on cunning and a newly discovered ability to control elemental energy.

The gist is that she's a slave, she can tap into the power of storms, and she's trying to free her people. With that in mind I've come up with a handful of options, each coming from a slightly different place. I won't tell you my favorite yet.

1. FIRESTORM
2. SHELTERED BY THE STORM
3. THE FETTERS OF FREEDOM
4. THE RESULT OF A PURCHASE
5. ONE GIRL'S WORTH

Feel free to give my logline a crit to if you have opinions one way or another.

Thanks for the help! If you think you need more info about the story I'm happy to post it.

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, you can do better than firestorm.

I don't really love any of the titles you've listed. Sorry

I think each of them misses the mark. None of them really captures the idea of a slave using with elemental power freeing a people.

I'll throw out a few other titles that probably aren't any better:

The Slave Rebellion
The Elemental Rebellion
The Elemental Rebel
Rebellious Elements

You know your story best, so I think that was just an exercise in futility for me. lol.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralm
Member # 9274

Don't apologize! I'm obviously not in love with any of the titles either or I wouldn't be here asking for help

Your list gave me an idea for another one that I like a bit: THE ELEMENTS OF REBELLION Do you like that one better?

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Osiris' titles better.

How about "Cloudburst", "Firesquall", "Tempest Rising"?

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eyegore242
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for eyegore242   Email eyegore242         Edit/Delete Post 
i gots it... How I learned to stop worrying and love the storm.....
sorry couldn't help it i love goofy stuff like that

how bout Elements Of Rebellion... i dont generally care for the at the start of titles unless its something simple like 'the xxxx war'

[This message has been edited by eyegore242 (edited December 03, 2010).]

Posts: 55 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
I also think you can do better. Those titles don't connect strongly with your logline. Might help to know your MC is a warrior type. Does she smite people with the storms, or inconvenience them?

The Storm Warrior
The Storm Walker

You seem to lean toward literary titles, so something like:
A Cloud of Deliverance

Totally derivative or silly titles:

The Girl Who Kicked Butt with a Storm
The Storm Whisperer (not bad, but lots of whisperers out there)
Dark and Stormy...no, no, no.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

quote:

Dark and Stormy...no, no, no

I LOLed

I kinda like The Storm Walker, too. As well, or perhaps 'Element Walker', though I still think The Elemental Rebellion is good, too. The Elements of Rebellion says the same thing with one extra unnecessary word.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralm
Member # 9274

It was a Dark and Stormy Title is definitely my favorite so far!

Storm Walker is a really great option. It's interesting for a reason that never comes up in the story. It might come up in the revision, I don't know yet. In her native language the word for what she is translates to Storm Walker, though I never explicitly state it that way.

Edited to add: Don't worry, the book doesn't start with weather!

[This message has been edited by coralm (edited December 03, 2010).]

Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Elemental Energy

Elemental Control

Just a couple of thoughts. It seems to me that sometimes the best titles come from the logline (or from explaining what the story is about, anyway).

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralm
Member # 9274

Elements of Rebellion is my current favorite of the lot, I think. Thank you to everyone who offered opinions and alternatives. I'm so terrible with titles
Osiris
Member # 9196

I'm glad that we could brainstorm with you to work it out.
Lissa
Member # 9206

- posted      Profile for Lissa   Email Lissa         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked "Tempest Rising."

Lis

Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

Actually, I think I agree with Lis, I like Tempest Rising best too.
It captures the 'storm' and the 'rebellion' idea nicely.

coralm
Member # 9274

Tempest Rising is good, or Storm Rising. Gah, not only am I bad with titles, but I'm also indecisive I'll let it stew around for a few more days before I make a final decision.
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
So far as "Tempest Rising" is concerned, yes I suggested it, but I really don't care for that kind of title. I prefer titles that have imagery suggestive of themes or setting or with cultural or literary allusions. Looking at the Hugo nominees for Best Novel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Award_for_Best_Novel), out of the approximately 190 titles here are the ten I like best (in no particular order):

*The Left Hand of Darkness
*A Fall of Moondust
*The Man in the High Castle
*Flowers for Algernon
*Stranger in a Strange Land
*The Lathe of Heaven
*The Mote in God's Eye
*The Years of Rice and Salt
*Ender's Game (would I get booted out of here if this weren't on the list?)
*The Yiddish Policeman's Union

In general, these are evocative titles, not clever in a precious way, nor a la mode. There are many great titles on the nomination list, picking my ten favorite was hard. There are at least ten or twenty more I like nearly as much.

There are relatively few poor titles, so picking my ten least favorite was easy:

*Sword of [choose Aldones, Lictor]
*Dune World
*The Einstein Intersection
*Dragonquest
*The Witches of Karres
*Dreamsnake
*On the Wings of Song
*Project Pope
*The Peace War
*The Calculating God

I don't like this because they don't seem very imaginative to me, which doesn't say much about the story itself. In fact, that's the problem with these titles, they don't say much. They're either variations on old saws ("The Sword of ...", "On the Wings of Song", "Witches of...", "Dragonquest") or they tell you more about the author's brand of wordplay ("The Peace War", "Project Pope" etc.)

As you can see, I don't like titles that mash together a couple of words for contrasting effect, especially if they use words and images that are commonplace. Therefore I'd dislike any title that combines some kind of weather imagery (elementals and weather control are very common in recent fantasy manuscripts I've seen) and uprising or rebellion (also very commonplace). It's not that working with commonplace themes is bad. They're commonplace for a good reason. But commonplace *titles* are really a bad idea in my opinion, because you want to show how you can treat those commonplace motifs with unusual imagination.

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually like FIRESTORM.
A short, succint, exciting title--one to three words--is easy to remember and to ask for.

Everyone thought Jaws was a stupid title, but...

Respectfully,
History

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting and hard exercise here.

I know the feeling of trying to title a novel and not quite getting it.

Some suggestions might be repeats.

Personally I like the "Elements Of Rebellion". It hints at her powers while stating what her mission is. Plus it has a double meaning there like a lot of titles have.

Maybe something shorter like Rebel Elements or Rebel Storm or Winds of Rebellion or Rebel Winds.

As someone sort of suggested there's A Dark and Stormy Knight.

Actually, that last one has been used. But I like it.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Elements of Rebellion has a cool double entendre, I think, which is one of the things that makes some titles stickier and cooler than others.

It's both Elements in the general sense of the word - components of rebellion (you could argue that your main character and her people are all elements of rebellion) but then also the elemental magic she learns to control, and the role that plays in rebellion.

Nifty. I think you should go with it. And this was such a nice success I think I should pitch my title troubles here, too!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
You all do know about the article on titles on the editorial blog for InterGalactic Medicine Show, by the editor, Edmund Schubert, right?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuhou
Member # 9130

- posted      Profile for Ryuhou   Email Ryuhou         Edit/Delete Post 
I like 'Storm Walker' because it gives my imagination something to play with, thinking of what exactly could a storm walker possibly be? what does it mean?

Also I liked your 'The Elements of Rebellion' but I think mostly the question that's raised is strictly about the rebellion part. Like the 'elements' are what lead up to and include everything that happens in the rebellion, and not a thought is given to storm control or any of that. With that title I think the book is more about some rebellion, and NOT anything that would include any type of magic. I think a better way to put it would be 'The Elements IN Rebellion' because it gives you more thought about what the MC will actually be doing (if I've understood you correctly).

~Nick

[This message has been edited by Ryuhou (edited December 15, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by Ryuhou (edited December 15, 2010).]

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lostdog
Member # 9343

- posted      Profile for lostdog           Edit/Delete Post 
How about (from your own comment) "The Power of Storms" ?

(I like that one. It's kind of dreamy and it makes me imagine, especially if I am thinking magical storm power.)

Another idea: "Storm Conjurer"

[This message has been edited by lostdog (edited December 17, 2010).]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vanguardjd
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for vanguardjd           Edit/Delete Post 
Just a few ideas:

If your book is mostly about the girl, rather than the rebellion:

The Elemental Revolutionary
Fiery Deliverer
Storm Breaker of Crowns

If your book is more broadly about the rebellion itself:

The Elements Defiant
A Storm of Slaves
The Storm Rebellion
Elements Uprising

Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralm
Member # 9274

You guys are all awesome. I just wanted to share that Crowd-sourcing for novel titles works!

I ended up going with Elements of Rebellion, but lots of the options listed here were very good.

I'll probably put up the first 13 once I'm done with my first revision and I'll be looking to swap chapters at that point if anyone is looking for crit partners in the near future (January time frame).

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.