Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Untitled Novel Start

Author Topic: Untitled Novel Start
RSHACK
Member # 9346

- posted      Profile for RSHACK           Edit/Delete Post 
This is my first attempt at writing anything at all. The idea has been brewing in my head for years and has turned into what could easily become a 3-5 book series. So far I have about 6 thousand words written, only the first half of which I've re-edited since learning a lot from reading the comments you all have posted on other people's works. Looking for any input The style of the book is Harry Potterisque.

VERSION 2 (I hope this is a step in the right direction. Looking for any input on this)

A tall, thin man holding a briefcase stood at the top of the hill that overlooked Bonecrook's Orphanage. Thunderclouds beat their war drums as they threatened to storm, but this did not bother the stranger. The collar of his black pea coat was turned up and its double-breasted fronts were tightly buttoned to protect himself from the night's glacial wind. Like a hungry vulture, he watched the grim fated orphanage and the single light that shone feebly from one of its many rooms, a muscle twitching in his leg. He ignored its protest. He could not make his move until that light went out and the children had gone to sleep.

A tall thin man holding a briefcase stood at the top of the hill that overlooked Bonecrook's Orphanage. It was a dark night and the clouds threatened to storm, but this did not seem to bother the stranger. The collar of his black pea coat was turned up and its double-breasted fronts were tightly buttoned to protect himself from the glacial wind. Standing motionless, he watched the orphanage and the single light that shone feebly from one of its many rooms, knowing that he could not make his move until that light went out and that all the children had gone to sleep.

[This message has been edited by RSHACK (edited December 20, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by RSHACK (edited December 20, 2010).]

Posts: 33 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
There's some good information in there, and I like your writing style overall.

You're sidling up to a cliché in the second sentence ("It was a dark and stormy night") -- perhaps change "dark" to some other descriptor?

I trip a little over "standing motionless, ..." -- perhaps "He stood motionless and..."? The rest of that sentence is a little "explainy," so maybe you can work it around to combine some of the elements in the second half with the standing information to suggest he's been standing there waiting a long while for that one, last light to go out. You won't even (IMHO) need to explain that he needs to wait till all the children are asleep, if you convey the sense of long waiting that way.

Two tiny niggles: "A tall, thin man" (add comma); there's an extraneous "that" in the last sentence, before "all the children".

Hope this is useful!

Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
A man stood standing motionless knowing he could not make a move. Hmm... This is what I'm getting out of it.

Gots to be a better way to convey all that other interesting stuff you have in the story without shlepping through the whole, standing motionless on a hill on a dark and stormy night stuff. My apologies for the bad Yiddish. Heck, for the bad English!

In other words, try for a less cliché introduction, as Grayson Morris pointed out. I'd like to see a better 'view' of your man's POV. Something like this makes my point better.

quote:
He stood on the bare hilltop overlooking Bonecrook's Orphanage. Clouds threatened to storm tonight but this did not seem to bother the tall man. The collar of his black pea coat was turned up and its double-breasted fronts were tightly buttoned to protect himself from the glacial wind. To any casual observer he'd look like a black pole holding a small briefcase. He watched the aging orphanage like a hungry wolf. The single light that shone feebly from one of its many rooms proved to him that all the children had not gone to sleep. He knew he could not make his move until that last, insufferably persistant light went out.

Of course, I don't know where your story is heading, and this is just my feeble opinion, but I hope it helps you.

[This message has been edited by PB&Jenny (edited December 19, 2010).]

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RSHACK
Member # 9346

Thank you, Grayson Morris and PB&Jenny.

I agree that it is leaning very much towards cliché. I had hoped to play on that to throw a spin and to set familiarity for the reader, but maybe I did too much to soon?
Any good ways going about that or no?

PB&Jenny, your example shed new light. Reading it I felt like I, as the reader, got sucked in quicker to the character. I got stuck writing that first paragraph for months and see that I just got too comfortable with it.

Thank you both again! I really appreciate it

Posts: 33 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Not too bad for my way of thinking even though I am far from being an editor.

I also felt the dark stormy night sounded cliche-ish, but to a lesser degree I felt the same thing for the tall thin man part. There was at one time a "tall, thin man" in the PI-Gumshoe genre. In fact, maybe because of that, this had a Gumshoe feel about it. Until he thinks about having to wait than its sounds like a Mystery-much the same field- or some type of Urban Fantasy bad guy about to do something that starts the adventure.

Inspires me to come up with my own opening for a UF Gumshoe adventure.
Kinda cliche-ish too but it could work.

Back to yours. Bad guys-inhuman or human are notorious for doing bad guy things: kidnapping, murder etc, on dark cold nights. So in that sense it being a rainy night and/or moonless night wouldn't be that strange. Just need to say it bit differently and maybe try for something unique...if there are any unique descriptives of a dark, rainy night left unused. It was blacker than... is probably over used too.

Don't know if this is a bad guy, sometimes good guys do something under the cover of dark too, but if he is a good guy you could try something like.

<<At least even with the cloud cover and threat of rain he could see better than on his last case. He'd stumbled into the demons belly where no light existed and even the light from his wood matches and cig lighter were absorbed. He had to cut his way out blind before the caustic stomach juices burned through his priest blessed rain slicker. It had been very close but that huge "rock" on that necklace he wanted to return to its rightful owner had done the trick. Once he was out he realized he had gone the long way through the are where the sun don't shine in that demon. After being sick he ran to the nearest river and jumped in. The smell alone had dogged his steps for months, and it had taken ten very hot showers to get him clean.>>

I know way too long, I got carried away but that was just to get the point across.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RSHACK
Member # 9346

Thank you LDWriter2.

The man on the hill is a decent guy just doing his job. He is portrayed as a bad guy because his job is basically, with out getting into wordy descriptions, ending lives (kinda Grimm Reaperisque but more of a day job kinda vibe)
Which is why I did use cliches to give it that bad guy vibe to mislead the reader into thinking he is up to no good at first, when later you learn he is just a guy trying to make an honest living when he runs into the main character (one of the orphans)

I do need to be careful of how i use cliches though, as they do raise red flags, as mentioned helpfully by the above comments

MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
This is not at all bad for the first attempt at writing *anything* whatsoever.

I'd agree with the others that you're close to a "dark and stormy night" here. If you want that effect, you can't conjure it that way. You've got to be *specific*, to describe the sensory impressions in a way that the reader comes away with a dark and stormy night in his head. Rather than giving him the conclusion and letting him provide his own details. I think that's central to good writing: leading readers to a conclusion instead of telling them what to think.

If you choose to attempt that, you'll have to do it in very few words, or risk losing your readers before the hook.

I like the hook because it poses an understandable question for the reader to ponder: what is this guy planning to do in an orphanage? Too often new fantasy writers open with action that is incomprehensible.

One questionable stylistic tic that I often catch myself committing is the use of superfluous words describing the POV character's awareness of things: "knowing", "realizing", "seeing" etc. I usually find (see I did it there) that this distances the reader from the thing asserted. It *qualifies* the action, almost saying "this is the POV character's perception, not necessarily what happened." (I find) That's helpful when you want to be politely reticent about stating your opinions, but maybe it isn't the best style for narrative.

So: "... ***knowing*** that he could not make his move until that light went out and that all the children had gone to sleep," might work better as "... he could not make his move until that light went out and the children had gone to sleep."

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RSHACK
Member # 9346

Thank you MattLeo
I guess i should have said i've never attempted writing a story before, and not 'anything' haha
I found your comments on superfluous words describing the POV character's awareness of things very helpful. I'm going through my entire story and eliminating such words when not needed and it's helping dramatically.
Good advice, I'm really glad I decided to join Hatrack!

RSHACK
Member # 9346

posted a revised version of the 13 at the top. hopefully this is headed in the right direction?
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I like the new version better than the original even though I think that third sentence is a bit long.

Plus "this did not bother the stranger" seems ...weak, amateurish- something like that.

From what I read on your response-- finally getting to it-- this is an interesting idea even though not original. But since nothing is original anymore that's okay, and in this case it hasn't been done a lot that I have seen...which may not mean much. But your concept sounds interesting like I said.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RSHACK
Member # 9346

Yes, the third sentence did seem a bit lengthy when I was writing it, I am glad that you pointed it out. As for 'the stranger' line, I've grown attached to it. Is there a way you see to make it sound less amateurish?

I know the grim reaper day job thing has been used, but I only intend on using it to get the main character (the orphan) into the main setting, a world within ours called The OldWorld Underground where they harvest our souls as their energy source, and to show how their world works.

Loving all the advice, my story is feeling a lot stronger now !

Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, I liked the "this did not bother the stranger" line.
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

About that third line...

He turned up the collar of his black pea coat and buttoned down its double-breasted fronts against the night's glacial wind.

Would that work for you?

[This message has been edited by PB&Jenny (edited December 24, 2010).]

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RSHACK
Member # 9346

Thank you, Grayson. I've always been fond of that line. Does anyone else get attached to lines like that or am a just a lineophile?

PB- I like it. It gives the MC action instead of me just describing his clothing. I'll prob phrase it a tad bit differently, but I think it'll help bring more POV : )

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

RSHACK There have been times that liked a certain line so much I was willing to fight tooth and nail for it even though half or more of those who critiqued the story said it didn' t belong.

As to the didn't bother him line. I don't think it's bad so it could work as is especially since I can't think of a better way of saying it and it could be just me and my tastes.

The only thing that might work better is to say he felt something or another. Something like "The wind blew but he ignored it" Or " he barely noticed when the wind blew the icy rain at him." But again it could be just me, see if anyone else likes it or not. I think you have one vote each. even though mine is more of a half vote.

But if he had been the MC you could say something like, "The wind blew the icy rain into his face but while on the job he didn't feel it".

Over all though it sounds like a good idea, even more different than I thought.

RSHACK
Member # 9346

Thank you,LD. I've got a 'but he ignored the rain' type line in the next couple of paragraphs, which is why I didn't go that route here. Still playing around with it, ill see what other yay or nays I get on it also.

Ya the story is pretty ambitious in where it's headed, but I'm really enjoying the challenge of building it.

The two last sentences in my thirteen both start with the word 'he'. Does this seem like an issue or distracting in anyway ?

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I've been told it's usually not a good idea to start two consecutive sentences with the same word. I didn't notice it here. But that probably doesn't mean much except that I sometimes miss things.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited December 24, 2010).]

PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

For what it's worth RSHACK, you could combine the muscle twitching in his leg part with the he ignored it section. Make one sentence out of it. See if that helps.
RSHACK
Member # 9346

I feel like that makes the muscle twitching sentence before it too long if a do that. That's what I originally had and why I split it. Any ideas ? Is it distracting to have those two sentences starring the same, id does it flow well enough ?
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I think you;re right about the muscle twitching sentence, but maybe something along the lines of:

With a sigh he ignored its protest, he couldn't make a move until that light went out which meant the children were asleep.

RSHACK
Member # 9346

Perfect! Thank you LD, that sparked just what I needed!
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

Oh, that is good.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Good that it worked out even with my typo there.

I've had practice fixing that mistake. It is one of the things I tend to notice in my own work, I don't catch it every time and I usually don't catch other more important mistakes but as I said it's one I usually see.

Of course the practice of fixing that mistake doesn't mean I get the fix right it is still my writing.

RSHACK
Member # 9346

Would anyone be interested in taking a look at the first couple of pages to let me know if it draws them in or not and give me some pointers ?
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

I'd be glad to look at it for you. I'm still working on some stuff for Jennywinnie, but I should be done tonight.
RSHACK
Member # 9346

Thank you PB&Jenny : )

My internet is down at the moment ( been using my phone to get online lately, eh! ) so hopefully ill have that fixed soon and ill send it to you in the next couple of days!

PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

Cool, thanks.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

RShack... if you mean two or three pages, I could take a look if all you want is if it draws me in.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.