Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Fantasy WIP first 13

Author Topic: Fantasy WIP first 13
KathiS
Member # 9542

- posted      Profile for KathiS   Email KathiS         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually two first 13's -- hopefully that's allowed. Both of them are potential openings to the same ms.

Original
-------------------------------------
There was nothing for it. Meriol was dying. She would be in the embrace of the Goddess by the next emptying of the glass as was her will. Meriol accepted that with the good grace and kind of blind acquiescence that comes from a lifetime of devotion to the Mother Goddess.
Brina, however, lacking in both those qualities wasn’t anywhere near accepting it.
“The Goddess be damned.”
Fane flicked a black-tipped ear. The Goddess meant nothing to him and so the curse, likewise, was wasted. The force with which Brina was brushing his already over-brushed, mahogany hide, however, each word emphasized with a thump and flick of the brush, was cause for his immediate discomfort.

The Re-Write
----------------------------------------------
The soft fluttering of wings was the only indication of the messenger’s arrival. Donovan might have missed it completely had he not been expecting it for hours. It settled onto a low branch just outside the ring of firelight, huge yellow eyes glowing in the flickering light. Donovan threw another log on the fire and studied the owl through the fountain of sparks and said nothing. Were he one of her sniveling lackeys he would have thrown himself on the ground before the bird and asked in what manner he could be of service. But he was neither of those things and he bowed to no one. Which made the whole situation so much more difficult. It was only what the eventual outcome promised that kept him in the unlikely partnership.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited June 13, 2011).]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darrin
Member # 9541

- posted      Profile for Darrin   Email Darrin         Edit/Delete Post 
-------------------------------------
There was nothing for it. Meriol was dying. She would be in the embrace of the Goddess by the next emptying of the glass as was her will. Meriol accepted that with the good grace and kind of blind acquiescence that comes from a lifetime of devotion to the Mother Goddess.
Brina, however, lacking in both those qualities wasn’t anywhere near accepting it.
“The Goddess be damned.”
Fane flicked a black-tipped ear. The Goddess meant nothing to him and so the curse, likewise, was wasted. The force with which Brina was brushing his already over-brushed, mahogany hide, however, each word emphasized with a thump and flick of the brush, was cause for his immediate discomfort.

---------------------------------

I'll just do the first because I liked it a bit better. Please feel free to use or disregard any comments.

"It" in the first sentence is vague and nearly lost me. I wanted you to get to the character, not lose me in a vague noun.

"Meriol accepted that with the good grace and kind of blind acquiescence that comes from a lifetime of devotion to the Mother Goddess."

This line is classic telling not showing. A bit of telling is fine in the story, everyone does it but not at the beginning.

Note you have introduced your main character (I think Brina is) four sentences in. Too deep.

Then Fane... a third character...probably too many characters in too short of a space.

Note you seem to be doing OMNI pov which is very hard to pull off. It is doable but just difficult.

I attached mostly to Brina because she has attitude. Consider just doing her POV and her frustration with the situation. That may hook folks a bit more. Start with Goddess be damned. Nice rebellious attitude.

I hope this helps.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KathiS
Member # 9542

Thanks, Darrin.

>>Consider just doing her POV and her frustration with the situation. That may hook folks a bit more. Start with Goddess be damned. Nice rebellious attitude. <<

I actually have a third beginning starting almost that way. More on Brina and her attitude right off the bat.

Guess I never really looked at Fane as being a character per se since he is her horse. But who says a horse can't be a character?

Posts: 65 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darrin
Member # 9541

- posted      Profile for Darrin   Email Darrin         Edit/Delete Post 
heh, didn't know he was a horse. BTW, who is him in this line then? "The Goddess meant nothing to him and so the curse, likewise, was wasted"

And yes the best characters are horses. :P

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KathiS
Member # 9542

>>BTW, who is him in this line then? "The Goddess meant nothing to him and so the curse, likewise, was wasted"<<

Um...him would be Fane, the horse. Clear in my head. Apparently not so clear on paper.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.