Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » New Query for BLOOD WILL TELL

Author Topic: New Query for BLOOD WILL TELL
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in an unusual situation right now, with two novels ready to query.
Second Version:
quote:
Being a half-blood is inconvenient on a good day, especially when the half you got from your mother is werewolf. Valeriah can’t take wolf form, but the full moon still fills her with manic energy. Running helps; a tired werewolf is a good werewolf.

Living perennially caught between two worlds--human and werewolf, magic and non-magic--doesn't leave much room for love. That suits Valeriah just fine. She's never had any luck with that anyway.

Until her cousin’s life is threatened, that is, and out of necessity she accepts the help of a mysterious young man to protect Cristel. Rolf is everything that makes Valeriah's pulse speed up in spite of herself. Now, with Cristel's life in the balance, is the worst possible time for that kind of complication.

But Rolf's secrets could be fatal, both for their budding relationship and for Valeriah.

BLOOD WILL TELL is a 97,000-word paranormal romance and potentially the first of a series. I have enclosed a synopsis per the instructions on your website.

Thank you for your time.

First Version:

quote:
Being a half-blood is inconvenient on a good day, especially when the half you got from your mother is werewolf. Valeriah can’t take wolf form but the full moon still fills her with manic energy. Running helps; a tired werewolf is a good werewolf.

Being perennially caught between two worlds--human and werewolf, magic and non-magic--doesn't leave much room for a love life. That suits Valeriah just fine. She's never had any luck with that anyway.

Until her cousin’s life is threatened, that is, and out of necessity she accepts the help of a mysterious young man to protect Cristel. Rolf is everything that makes Valeriah's pulse speed up in spite of herself. But now is the worst possible time for that kind of complication.

But Rolf's secrets could be fatal, both for their budding relationship and for Valeriah.

BLOOD WILL TELL is a 97,000-word paranormal romance. I have enclosed a synopsis per the instructions on your website.

Thank you for your time.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited July 28, 2011).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hteadx
Member # 6563

- posted      Profile for hteadx   Email hteadx         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not an expert at paranormal romances, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Since this is paranormal romance, I've notice you started out with the paranormal first. But you might want to highlight the romance part more and show how her paranormal side effects the romance.

Also fleshing out the romantic interest might help.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wirelesslibrarian
Member # 9513

- posted      Profile for wirelesslibrarian   Email wirelesslibrarian         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is good. In just a few sentences, you've given me tons of information, and Valeriah is someone I'd definitely like to read about. I think the conflict and the romantic attraction angle are both explained in tantalizing fashion, which is what you want in a query, right?

Two suggestions: In "Valierah can't take wolf form but the...", there needs to be a comma after 'form'. That's a compound sentence there. The other suggestion also involves a 'but'. Namely, the last two sentences before your particulars start with the word 'but.' Could you change one of them?

I'm very impressed that you have not one but two novels ready to send out. Makes me feel like a slacker.

Posts: 108 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tryndakai
Member # 9427

- posted      Profile for Tryndakai   Email Tryndakai         Edit/Delete Post 
Again, I have the benefit of having read your earlier attempt at a query, and I've gotta say--this one's WAY better, also. The "inconventient on a good day" bit starts us off with a snappy, snarky voice, which stays with us and gives me a glimpse of what I assume will be Val's personality. Excellent.

I love the explanation of what it actually means to be "half werewolf." And keeping the Dragon thing secret for now seems a good plan, to me. Makes a better hook, and sounds less forced than announcing it right out did.

One little thing I felt was missing: What about this time of her life makes it "the worst possible time for that kind of complication"? I suppose her cousin's trouble? For some reason, I wanted a little more, there.

Also, just nits which you can most certainly ignore completely: Valeriah seems a long name (4 syllables and all)--if she doesn't go by a nickname most of the time, it might bug me. And I thought it funny and ironic that Rolf's name be so close to the word "wolf" . . . But I know I'm super picky and possessive about my own characters' names, so I really don't expect you to change yours for me. Just thought I'd give you those reactions.

Overall, sounds MUCH more like something I might want to read. Right along the lines of L.J.Smith's stuff, I'd imagine.

Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KathiS
Member # 9542

- posted      Profile for KathiS   Email KathiS         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done, Meredith. Based on that query I would definitely want to read at least the first chapter. ;-)

Like some of the others, I like the explanation of what being a half-wolf means to her. Gives us a quick glimpse into her life. Your writing is concise and insightful, giving me an idea of voice as well.

kls

Posts: 65 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this; it definitely makes me want to read more.

One small thing that bothered me were the last two sentences, which both start with "but":

"But now is the worst possible time for that kind of complication.

But Rolf's secrets could be fatal, both for their budding relationship and for Valeriah."

(And, I just noticed, the first two paragraphs, which both start with "being.")

Consecutive sentences/paragraphs that start with the same word always jar me out of the flow of reading.

Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Meredith,

With no knowledge of your story, here's my reaction.

You did a nice job of getting into the novel and introducing the characters. You also write in a way that shows your voice.

I feel you need to toss me a bone. Valeriah is a half-breed teenager who falls in love, leading to trouble. Can you add a clue to how Rolf complicates her life? I want to know the conflict, but I am just told there is a conflict without understanding it.

Also, the title is suggesting there are vampires (to me). Not sure if that is your intention.

Hope my comments are helpful and not annoying. My experience with queries is limited.

Edited to spell queries correctly (querys is just too embarassing)

[This message has been edited by Wordcaster (edited July 28, 2011).]

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Thanks everyone. I've been tweaking the query as I get your responses. I just haven't posted a revision, yet.

quote:
feel you need to toss me a bone. Valeriah is a half-breed teenager who falls in love, leading to trouble. Can you add a clue to how Rolf complicates her life? I want to know the conflict, but I am just told there is a conflict without understanding it.

Actually, she's 25, not a teenager. This one's not YA.

Okay. Let's see. She's never had any luck in love. She's trying to focus on protecting her cousin and Rolf is a distraction. Worse than that, if it goes bad again (and in her mind it always goes bad) will Rolf abandon them and leave her trying to protect Cristel alone?

Does the latest version cover that?

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited July 28, 2011).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Other than the popularity of YA paranormal romance, there is nothing that should have cued me that was the case. I am not certain if it would be mistaken by agents, but if there is concern, you could provide a clue about her profession or lack thereof.

Is her cousin a teenager? Perhaps saying "Until her teenage cousin's life is threatened." This would provide better insight into why Valeriah would be tasked with helping her and provide the contrast to show she is not a teenager.

Overall, I like what you've done. I still don't understand if Rolf's secrets are something that will make this story unique and different from a typical paranormal romance -- I guess i'd have to read it to find out.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmilyS
Member # 9447

- posted      Profile for EmilyS   Email EmilyS         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

This line bothers me. It feels too vague, and, having read the story, I can't think how Rolf's secrets could be fatal to Valeriah. I think in this case revealing more would pique more interest.

Posts: 125 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
This line bothers me. It feels too vague, and, having read the story, I can't think how Rolf's secrets could be fatal to Valeriah. I think in this case revealing more would pique more interest.

Hmm. Well, it's more her reaction to his secrets that gets her into trouble. If she trusted him, some things wouldn't have happened. I'll think about how I can fix it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.