Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Juvel revised 1st 13

Author Topic: Juvel revised 1st 13
SASpencer
Member # 10044

- posted      Profile for SASpencer   Email SASpencer         Edit/Delete Post 
The second decade of Earth’s twenty-first century was the end of the beginning.
For Alexandra, anyway. She worried incessantly about it and no one in either the Amet or Human race could out-worry her. Strike that. Her mom actually worried better; she taught Alexandra well.
The Dawning engulfed Alexandra early—at age sixteen—instead of nineteen. She’d die if her classmates found out. After enduring past life memories seeping into dreams for three years, she would meet her soul. Her pulse quickened and palms sweat when she pondered morphing. Okay. Her mom tried to explain she’d be the same person when her soul divulged itself. But Alexandra’s brain spit out the concept.
What a coincidence Jude, her sixteen-year-old boyfriend, also began Dawning. Maybe subconsciously they egged each other on.

Posts: 67 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

- posted      Profile for Denevius   Email Denevius         Edit/Delete Post 
Though there are more details here to ground the reader, most of this is teling. We're told the second decade is the end of the beginning (which is really vague and doesn't offer readers much), we're told Alexandra worried incessantly, and that her mom worried better.

To be honest, if you really wanted suggestions of where the story should begin, it's probably necessary for someone to read further and help you pick out that point from the narrative. A critique on first 13s has its limitations.

Posts: 1216 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
This is an in medias res opening that leaves out all the basic information a reader needs: who, where and what. Who is Alexandra, and why should I care, as a reader? Where am I, what's the milieu, or setting? What's the problem, or to get technical, the dramatic complication?

As an opening, it leaves me with nothing but questions and no answers. At least give me something I can hang my hat on in these first 13 lines.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SASpencer
Member # 10044

- posted      Profile for SASpencer   Email SASpencer         Edit/Delete Post 
OK. Thanks. I'm on Chapter 2 of my draft. I'll keep on going and post a 1st 13 after I finish the entire long form.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.