Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Creole Witch in New England

Author Topic: Creole Witch in New England
Wandmaker
Member # 10091

- posted      Profile for Wandmaker   Email Wandmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been working on this novel for only a little while. I'm challenging myself to finish a chapter a week. I feel like a strong start will give this work its best chance. I am looking for
criticism on this first page, please. As the work progresses, I will look forward to sharing it and getting help.

Thanks in advance. .. Janet

Sweat flowed between my shoulder blades, tickling the small of my back. The summer in New Hampshire seemed mild, especially compared to my childhood summers in Louisiana, but it was still hot. It couldn’t be helped; some work was simply best done outdoors. I put a finishing coat of chemicals on the 14 inch apple wand, careful to miss the second and third ring. It was a beautiful piece; I knew its owner would be thrilled. This wand was for a child, not for real Magic. The chemicals nearly silenced the wood, or would have if I hadn’t given it a little opportunity. “Queris, Dòmi sof si yo rele, mwen respekte w.” I told the wood. (Lady Apple, Sleep unless they call. I Respect.)Likely she would never be used for Magic, but I always felt like the wood deserved a chance.

[ June 13, 2013, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Kathleen Dalton Woodbury ]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
First and foremost, I must stress that you should finish before worrying about any critiques. Sometimes, they have a way of stopping you cold when there is so much more to come. That said, here's what I see:

1) I know it's summer and that the protagonist (if that's who the narrator is) moved from Louisiana to New Hampshire right off. What I don't know (and should) is if I should be picturing a guy or gal. The language sounds feminine, but that may be because I know that you are, and the mention of the "small of my back."

2) I am not certain of the time period. The only word which makes me think contemporary is "chemicals," and that word was available from the 16th century on (according to my OED).

3) I have read at least two other stories about crafting wands and locking the magic in, so I advise treading carefully on how you go about it.

I would read on for a page or so to see if the information I feel is missing (some way of identifying whether the protagonist is male or female and the time period) appeared. Also, I like that you put the speculative element up front.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Best not to start a story with weather.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
My fist impression is to cut down to "some work was simply best done outdoors" -- probably should be "is best", but the sensory stuff belongs in a different opening. Certainly not in the same paragraph as the rest. And best inserted later on. But that's just my take on this.

Did like the rest though.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Vera
Member # 10072

- posted      Profile for Melanie Vera   Email Melanie Vera         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that some work was simply best out doors does not need to be in the story, because it kind of throws me off the story. I do like the idea about the wand.

I would like to find out why the wand would not be for magic. I agree I would like to know if this is a male or female character. I see it as a female character on the way the voice comes across.

Interesting that the wand is referred to as female, does that mean that the wand will come to life and be the main character?

Overall I think this will be a great story.

Posts: 37 | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.