Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Critique Group 2008 Q04

Author Topic: WotF Critique Group 2008 Q04
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a critique group for writers that will be entering a story for the fourth quarter of 2008 in the Writers of the Future contest (25th year).

Anyone is welcome to join. If you do though, please follow the directions for such. Currently, there are no members in the group. If you want to join the group for this quarter, please repost the current names list in a reply and add your name to the bottom.

Deadlines for this quarter's crits are as follows:

July 1st: Start writing.

August 7th: First drafts out for high-level crits (plot, character arc, etc.)

September 7th: Second drafts out for low-level crits and line edits

September 30th: Mail-in deadline for Q04

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Since its getting a bit draughty in here, I thought I'd pop along and light a fire. The door's still open though for anyone who wants to join me by the hearth.

So here I am.

darklight.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that this group is for the same quarter as the 'early submission' group but has a different schedule, intended to support the notion of early submission.

I'm just making sure that this group isn't intended to replace the early submission group that I have already joined.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

No replacement, Anthony, but a parallel group for those of us who like to take it to the wire. Of course, cross critiquing is encouraged, especially if I'm the only member of this group.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha! Ok that makes sense.

Well I'm planning on using the other groups schedule but I'm happy to critique your work if there is no one else available.

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Yeah, there'll definitely bee cross-critiquing encouraged, if necessary. Annepin and I have already posted in the other group that we're open to that eventuality...um, possibility. Glad to see that you signed up for the group, darklight. Felt kind of odd starting the group and saying that there are currently NO members. Anyhow, hope we get people to sign-on. If not, we're right around the corner.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to be first in line so I sent my submission for this quarter yesterday.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Lol, snapper.

So should we make up another group for "super-early" submissions? Just kidding. We don't need any more stinkin groups. Great way to handle a barely-missed deadline though. Hopefully, you'll stick with the group here and put together a story in the next three months for the group to crit and you to turn in for NEXT quarter? Anyhow, hope we don't lose you.

snapper
Member # 7299

Oh I could join, then submit to be first in line for the next quarter as well.
I'm thinking KDW may take the time to read mine on a slow day, and to get a jump on the next quarter.
Just let me know when you guys are ready.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.
Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Lol Christopher, I just said I'd help out at the other group, which still stands, as I was all alone here!

It's great to have you around.

Snapper, I couldn't submit so early. I simply couldn't wait that long to hear how my story did! It's bad enough when I have to wait a few weeks - which is why I like to get my story in late. Less waiting time.

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Darklight, since you signed up on the other thread i sent you my story, and obviously I'd be more than happy to crit yours. Christopher, I'm happy to crit your stuff as well, esp since this board seems kinda empty.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

So, I've gotten about 8,000 word written of my WotF story for this quarter, and I'm looking at it, thinking somewhere, about two thousand words ago, it lost its way. It's essentially going in the right direction, doing what I intended it to, building up to the big finale, but not the way I originally thought it would.

What would you do? With about two thousand word left to write, would you carry on, finsh it in the way that's its headed now, or go back and put it back on track where it went awry?

I'm just not feeling good about it right now, but that might be because I having felt right myself for a week.

annepin
Member # 5952

Are you still exploring the story or do you know where it might end? If the former, I suggest slugging out the 2000 words. That's probably what I do, but mostly because I need to see the original concept through to draft before I can work on it.

If you have a clear idea of where you went astray, though, maybe it's more efficient to backtrack and figure out how else you can finish the story. But you might be missing a whole element you won't discover unitl you have a completed story, however much you dislike it, to review.

Sorry, I guess this doesn't help much. Really, I think it has more to do with how you work than anything else.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I would tough it out to finish the way it is now first, then I'd go back and try the other way too. 2k words for me is maybe 2 hrs work, could be a little less, so it doesn't seem impossible...but if I didn't know what to write it would seem pretty challenging.

If you must, make some notes about what you want to go back and fix. I suggest trying to slog through and finish it the way it's heading right now just because I have had this kind of issue with a story before and the need to make this decision paralyzed me and I left the story hanging for MONTHS before getting back to it and just toughing it out and getting it done. It's still a WIP, but at least it now has an ending. It's not the ending I originally envisioned, but frankly it fits better...so I haven't ended up going back and re-writing a portion, at least not yet.

Good luck!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Thanks for the advice. I've all but finished the story, but right now, I don't like it, and I don't think it makes sense.

I'm just going to have to see what people think when they critique.

snapper
Member # 7299

I just got my confirmation that my 4th quater submission has been received. (Woo-Hoo) I'm first in line, I'm first in line.
darklight
Member # 5213

Doesn't it bother you that you'll have to wait months to find out how it does? I sure know it would me!
snapper
Member # 7299

Not as much as it did when I saw it still sitting on my desk, two days after the deadline for sending it.
My wife did promise that she would send it for me, she just didn't promise when.

darklight
Member # 5213

Christopher, do you have a story ready for critique? If so, send it along. I'm not quite finished. I haven't looked at mine for a while because I didn't like how it was going, but intend finsihing it by the end of this weekend.
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I know I'm about six days late and didn't join the roll call. But I just finished a rough draft that I intend for Q4 and am looking to swap. As this is only my third attempt at steping outself myself and having a female viewpoint character--I'm interested in getting at least one female perspective.

Genre : near future science fiction
Wordcount: 5000

Oh--as I'm going to be out of town tommorow, I don't think I'll be able to respond until Friday.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll swap with you.

Tracy (Not a girl BTW, Sorry lol)

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Hey Chris, I'd love to read your story. I could send you mine, but probalby not until next week or so.
Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, people. Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I went to WorldCon last week (which was really cool), then had to work some twelve hour shifts. This is the first chance I've had to catch my breath. That being said...

...I need a few more days before I send out a story. I'm seriously considering sending in my story from a couple of quarters ago, but changing the first page to make it much more obvious that it's a speculative fiction story. If I do that, I won't need a reread--you guys already gave me great feedback.

My other choice is a story I wrote that same quarter and didn't send in. I like the ideas in the story, but it still needs lots of work-it's a story you guys have never seen. Anyway, I'll let you know in the next few days.

If anyone has their story ready send it to me and I'll read it. Last quarter you, my fellow Hatrackers, wrote some cool stuff. I'm looking forward to reading the new stories. Send 'em my way.

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited August 14, 2008).]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Hey folks, most of you already have joined the other (early submission) group, but if not, I suggest popping in there. Many of us are still working on second drafts, etc, and/ or are open to reading other people's stuff.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.