Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Novel Group, Anyone? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Novel Group, Anyone?
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Aye
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Aye.

(I will post a synopsis soon, I promise! I'm having a hard time boiling my story down in a way that reflects what the book is.)

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Anne, just give us a quick sell to tell us what the genre is (and a very, very rough version of the story). Mine is not so simple as I laid out, but I'm trying to show the kind of story it is, more than what the entire story is about. you have to have a bottom line (distill all the side stories out for the moment and) give it to us.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Aye.

Given the rewrite "ruling" I'll pull Masq out since it's likely to have genre objections and substitute the second half of Falcon until NaNo, when Falcon goes on the shelf for a month and I start a draft of Dead Reckoning.

If none of you remember Falcon when the Query was up (tee-hee, it's fantasy.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys/gals, sorry to do bail on you, but I think I am going to withdraw my name as of now. Its nothing personal with anyone, I just don't think I'll have the time to commit to do this project justice for everyone. I will still be around the forum and keeping my eyes on all your progress, so you better be writing.

Good Luck.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
aye
Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
You all know about my "novel critique suggestions," right?

If not, they're here:

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum21/HTML/000005.html

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Genre: Epic fantasy

Violent and sexual content (I'll post this with every chapter so people know).
Title: War of the Wolves

Synopsis: When her mountain home is invaded, the princess Gwineth arranges a marriage which will end a long-time feud. But treachery forces her to choose between her family and her new husband. Now she must rally her people to fend off the invaders before it's too late.

Also toying with:
Genre: fantasy

Violent and sexual content

Title: The Whore of Helias

Synopsis: Imara escapes from the oppressive temple with one goal: to become the most skilled courtesan and so win the emperor's love. But her heart has deceived her from the truth, and she realizes she must escape the monster who would claim her for his own.

(edited to add titles)

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited September 12, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Kathleen. Half of the reason for this is the support group part of it.

By the way, Anne, nice hooks--short and to the point. (You could trim a couple of words from the second one, though. <--I couldn't resist. )

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow I never knew writing a synopsis was this hard. I still think it stinks but I want to put something out here.

Genre: Fantasy

Title: The Sorcerer’s Son (Until I think of something better)

Synopsis:

All sorcerers are evil, everyone knows this. So when Alina gets kidnapped by one she must find a way to escape before it’s too late.

Oh and Aye

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

quote:
(You could trim a couple of words from the second one, though. <--I couldn't resist. )

It's 'cause you're a writer, IB!

Gardener
Member # 7948

- posted      Profile for Gardener   Email Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Aye. I think I'm a fast critiquer.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:

InarticulateBabbler:(You could trim a couple of words from the second one, though. <--I couldn't resist. )

quote:

annepin:It's 'cause you're a writer, IB!

Or 'cause I'm an @$$.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited September 12, 2008).]

kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
But a likeable one.
Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marchpane
Member # 8021

- posted      Profile for marchpane   Email marchpane         Edit/Delete Post 
Aye.

I can do fast crits, but I'm going to be starting a degree in the next few weeks which might slow me down a bit come mid-October.

Posts: 91 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:

kings_falcon:But a likeable one.

Aww shucks. Thanks, but I gotta tell you:

You may get hate mail for that...

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

KayTi and LAJD (and Rhaythe, if you want in), we're waiting on your synopses and goals.
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey hey - cut me a break! Started a job this week. Eek!

Aye, though I need to get caught up on a number of writerly things before I'll have anything to put out there for novel work, but I am hoping to have some hunker down time this weekend.

I'm slower. My new computer is making my eyes go wiggy - I have to jimmy w/the font sizes and contrast to get it working better for me.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

LAJD (and Rhaythe, if you want in), you're a;; that's left...
LAJD
Member # 8070

Oh, Oh..doing this right now...had an emergency website catastrophe....
L

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

This is the same synopsis that I posted earlier, I just added the goals and decide on a working name.
Leslie

Genre:Young Adult Fantasy Adventure

Tentative Title: Social Endeavors

Brief Synopsis: Grace, Liz and David have been friends since grade school. Grace and David grew up knowing that they are different, shape-shifters. Heck everyone is in their families but Liz is just a normal girl. One day, Liz zaps her computer and she realizes she can start fires, control fire, play with fire. She turns to her friends who also reveal their secrets to her. The next day Liz and her Mom disappear. But not entirely, Liz can communicate with Grace and David via text messages relayed through Facebook, Twitter and other sites. While she is not sure exactly where she is or how she got there, she has a pretty good idea of how to help David and Grace figure it out.

Goal: 1/2 chapter each week. [OK, its a stretch goal....8) but I have been doing about 1 chapter each month so not so far off.]

MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, can I join? I'm here for the support part. I have to focus on writing, not critiques, at this point.

Do I just provide an intro on the other thread?

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Sure. Welcome aboard, MrsBrown.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.