Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Novel Goals and Reports (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Novel Goals and Reports
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually send it to my work computer everyday (Via my art gig's email) and to my home/laptop every night, so I do have a back-up. Usually two, the one in the email, too.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I could contend for the least experienced writer title, Unwritten. Oh, and thanks for that link to the snowflake thing. I'm trying it on my story. I can't fit my story in the three disater thing either though. I'm ready to swap chapters with whoever is ready. Here are my first thirteen.

Alina stood in the middle of the chaos, letting it swirl around her. It made her giddy, the children laughing and running, musicians playing, people dancing sometimes where they stood, and a hundred different conversations buzzing around her. Brightly colored banners topped merchant tents and ribbons decorated the competition stands. The air smelled of roast pig and crushed grass. She felt like laughing out loud. She loved Mennville’s annual spring festival. It made her feel uninhibited.
Harold stood next to her, clearly not as relaxed as she was. Poor sweet Harold, he hated the bedlam and strangers. They had been close friends for years almost like brother and sister. It seemed like her best friends

[This message has been edited by satate (edited September 19, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by satate (edited September 19, 2008).]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I use MSWord 2007. Anyone else? (Oh and anyone who needs me to make it compatible with earlier versions, I can.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Windows Vista 2007, to my eternal dismay.

Tip for those with older versions of Windows: when you're downloading the file to an older version of office, you can choose to save it as an earlier version of Word. This works on my old work computer that doesn't even have Service Pack 2.

Or I can just save it as an earlier file too.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Uh...BC...is that a you "do have a problem" or a "you don't have a problem"? Because, I'm not sure what Vista (which I have on my laptop) has to do with MSWord (which I have an all three of my computers). And, I have no clue whether the length (over 26,000 words/100 pages) is a problem or not.

marchpane
Member # 8021

- posted      Profile for marchpane   Email marchpane         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, lots of stuff going on...

I've been away from computers for the past week, but I'm pleased to report that I comfortably met my (admittedly modest) goal of starting my next chapter. I took my favourite notebook with me and spent every spare minute scribbling away, so once I get it all typed up - this evening - I reckon I should have about 4 or 5 pages.

Now I know that doesn't sound like very much, but considering it's the most I've written for some time, I'm pretty happy. If I can keep this going I'm sure my productivity can only improve...

Posts: 91 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Congratulations on achieving your goal, marchpane. The new week's thread is up. See you--and everyone else--there.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can someone please remind me its okay to deviate from the formula?

MrsBrown and satate, and anyone else who needs this reminder:

It's okay to deviate from formulas, recipes, blueprints, and any other kind of instruction guidelines as long as you know what you're doing and you deviate for a good reason.

Most writing formulas are intended as basic suggestions--skeletons for you to flesh out, to decorate and embellish in your own ways.

Just as with a recipe, if you know why the flour is in there, then you can decide whether it's okay to substitute cornstarch or not. If you don't know, it can mean a disaster.

Also, if you know why the recipe puts two particular spices together, then you can substitute two other spices that work the same way together and get another great taste. And you can add other things to get even more great tastes. Who would have guessed what curry powder could do to a plain old chicken casserole? Or what cocoa powder could do to a tomato sauce?

Can you tell that food is on my mind right now?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
IB - that's why I shouldn't type so late at night.
The short of it is, I can handle all file formats, but if anyone doesn't want to bother fixing the format, I'm happy to do that.
And I just meant to equate Word 2007 with Vista; whether that assumption is incorrect or not is beyond my computer knowledge.

Dunno waht you meant about length of a story; I did NOT sleep well last night and only have 1/4 of my brain.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I got the outline done although it's pretty skeletal, and started re-writing the fight scenes.

The thing about Vista is the word version that comes with it will save documents as a .docx extension. If the person you send it to doesn't have the most recent version of word, she won't be able to open the file. Make sure when you save it in the right format to prevent the evil .docx format.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Make sure when you save it in the right format to prevent the evil .docx format.

AMEN!

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

So, yesterday, I worked my @$$ off from noon until midnight (granted it was worth over $900) and came down with a cold to boot. But, although I didn't achieve the 3 page-goal I set for myself, I did manage to get another page written.

If I can do it...ya'll can!

Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, yesterday, I worked my @$$ off from noon until midnight

Before I finished reading the sentence my mental-calulator was thinking wow, that must be like 40,000 words ... then I realized that wasn't the case.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.