Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotfCritique Group 2009 Q01 -- Regular Timetable

Author Topic: WotfCritique Group 2009 Q01 -- Regular Timetable
Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the group for Q01 with a regular timetable. Now we may end up combining the groups later anyway--like last quarter, and people can jump back and forth as wanted. But for those who aren't going to have a story ready by the beginning of October and/or want a bigger break to work on novels and stuff, this is the original timetable group.

Deadlines for this quarter's crits are as follows:

Nov 7th: First drafts out for high-level crits (plot, character arc, etc.)

Dec 7th: Second drafts out for low-level crits and line edits

Dec 30th: Mail-in deadline for Q01

Chris

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited September 20, 2008).]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deggett
Member # 6215

- posted      Profile for deggett   Email deggett         Edit/Delete Post 
Count me in, too.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, I'm a regular timeline kind of person. I always need a month to recover from my cramming for the PREVIOUS quarter's entry.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,

Don't know if you're signed up for Dave Wolverton/Farland's writing newsletters, but if you're not you should be. Drop him an email at: dwolvert "at" xmission.com and say "Kick Me". Then you'll be on the list too.

Today's message was about short stories, and I thought it very applicable. So, I figured...what better place? Here's a copy of what he said:

Moved to the Writing Class section.

Looks like he's going to be putting up some more info for us, so be sure to check it out. I think I'll probably post this stuff and whatever else he has to say about short fiction here, in the early submission group, and then look for one more place that will be a little more permanent. Hope your stories are all coming along smashingly well. Happy writing.

[This message has been edited by WriterDan (edited December 02, 2008).]

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Great stuff, WriterDan.

I was just wondering, though, if you have Dave Wolverton's permission to reprint this.

If you do, that's fine, and it would be good to have a separate topic for his stuff.

If not, please check with him and make sure it's all right?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

At the bottom of the email, he says to feel free to share the information with friends, and there weren't any qualifiers on it. I figured this was the easiest way to share it with the groups, and I've stated that it came from him. Do you think that I need to be more careful and specifically ask about posting it here? If you do, by all means I will. Just seemed like it'd be okay to me.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deggett
Member # 6215

If he's got an archive of them on his site, might be easier to just post the link to it.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

He doesn't that I know of. I actually shot off an email to him about it all. Will post here when I get a response.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, WriterDan.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Permission granted. Is there somewhere that we could post this info semi-permanently, Kathleen? That way I can just reference a Hatrack discussion link at the beginning of each new quarter with the info.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Sure, WriterDan.

I'd recommend starting a topic in the Writing Class area and calling it something like "Advice from Dave Wolverton."

Do you want to do it, or shall I?

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Done!

Anyone interested can find it in the "Writing Class" area from the main forum page. I will post anything further that he has to say there.

Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Dan. Good stuff. I'm looking forward to what he had to say in other newsletters.

Okay, here's who we have signed up for the Regular Timetable Group now.

Christopher
deggett
KayTi

Thank deggett and KayTi. I was beginning to feel lonely.

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
WriterDan, excellent post with the material from Dave Wolverton.

I have signed up for the Kick In The Pants.

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the "kick in the pants?"
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

It's an email service that David Wolverton/Farland does. They come out semi-frequently and contain information about some piece of writing. The ones he's working on right now concern short stories, and I'm going to be posting them all in a topic within the Writing Class forum. Directions on how to get your name on the list are included in that post. He really gives a lot of good information in the emails, and has already covered a wide array of topics. You should check it out. Heck, every writer should.
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Sign me up.

Christopher
deggett
KayTi
Zero

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

So, how are things going over here peoples? It's been nearly a month since your last post, and so I'm here to kick a little fanny. First crit deadline is coming up for your group in 2.5 weeks. Everyone getting close? Things are going well in the accelerated timeline group. Just wanted to make sure this one kept moving too. Later all.

Dan

Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
You tell 'em, Dan!

Get back to work you slackers!

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone active here? I'm willing to swap with people.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deggett
Member # 6215

My update: I have a major deadline at work this coming Thursday. After that I'll be back in the hunt.
Christopher
Member # 6336

Well, today's the day.

If anyone needs their story read, send it my way.

Oh, and by the way, please post again and let us know if you're still interested in this "Regular Timetable" group.

NOTE: I, personally, don't have a story ready. I spent all my time finishing my middle-grade novel, which I did . And if I do say so myself, IT ROCKS! Yea, for me! Now, that aside, send me your short-stories. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone came up with.

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited November 07, 2008).]

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on your novel finish, Christopher - great news! I've doing a mid-grade novel for Nano, though I know I'm going to have to go back and clean up language/words to bring it down a bit. Right now the only mid-grade aspect is the 11 year old protag. LOL

Meanwhile, I was coming to post to this thread as I did on the other one to say I'm out for WOTF this quarter. My last quarter entry got entered for this quarter as it turns out. Not necessarily a bad thing, as it frees me up in December for crits and things, but it was a surprise. I am not available until Dec, but keep me in mind if you need critiques or reads after that time.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deggett
Member # 6215

Missed the deadline.

I have a problem. The story I started writing has turned into *much* more than a short story. It'll be at least a novella, maybe a novel. I'm not sure if it can be paired down or if I need to find another subject for this quarter.

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
the word limit is 17,000 words, which is kinda novella-ish.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I have missed the deadline for the second draft in the early submissions group.

Is this group still active? I will have the second draft ready by Dec 7. I can also read any first drafts that are still floating about.

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

So, I was curious if anyone here is willing to swap stories. I'm finished with a fourth draft of my story for this quarter, and things look to a bit sparse in the early-submission group right now. How are things moving here? Additionally, I'd be willing to send crits to anyone that needed it here in this group. Lemme know.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

The second round of HM's are up on the WotF blog now. Looks like we have at least arriki and tnwilz to congratulate. That is if I'm right in guessing that they're misspeled Tracy's last name on the blog. Semis and finalists were getting called today, I guess. That's the word anyhow. No calls for me. So, I'm gunning for an HM or it's back to a big zero again. Anyone else see their name on the blog? Check it out and let us know! Blog says that announcements for the rest of the honors of 2008 Q04 will be up in the next few days. Keep your eyes peeled for em. Later.
LAJD
Member # 8070

OK, I sent my story to WriterDan and Patrick James. Please send yours back to me. I have some time this weekend.

Anyone else?

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Did everyone make the deadline?
LAJD
Member # 8070

I did. Now I guess we wait....

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.