Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NGAS for 9/26 - 10/2

Author Topic: NGAS for 9/26 - 10/2
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to week three.

I failed to meet the raised pages-per-day goal, but I did at least one a day, and with a very busy week. Overall, I'm not too disappointed.

I've seen that a few people are still under the impression that there are some strict set of rules. There's not. We're trying to meet the goals we set for ourselves, no one else, our successes or failures to do so are in no way breaking any committment to this group.

This is a pat on the back; a bit of encouragement; a place to set a record of goals for yourself; a place to ask questions about current WIPs with others that have a bit of knowledge about them. Remember, it's about finishing, not about how fast.

New Goals: To write at least ten pages this week, and solve my dilemma.

PS - Critiquers are volunteers. There's no rush; no demands. If you can and you're willing, I'm sure many of us will appreciate it; if you can't, don't volunteer yet. No one's going to look down on you.

We know everyone has a life, and only have so many hours in a day to write, let alone critique, so whether you've got work out to someone, or have someone else's work to critique, please remember that. And a thank you to everyone who has put the extra effort out.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited September 26, 2008).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn it. Why do you keep opening a new week topic when I've just posted in the old one.

Anyway, as I said in the other post -

I met my outline goal by only doing a bare bones one. I've redone two of the battles which was more than I was expecting to do and started a rewrite of the next section.

Week 3 - 9-26 to 10-3

I want to finish the kidnap and rescue sequence. Ideally, I'd like to do the new intro for the character but I don't think I'll have enough time.

I'm trying to aim for a new/revised scene per week. If I do that, I should be wrapping up a the draft when NaNo Starts.

In Mid-October, I also want to add outlining the NaNo story.

Not ready to volunteer to read yet, but I hope to be able to shake some time free in week 4.

What dilemma IB???

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! Here you are. Well, as I was saying...

Week 2: Things are really zipping along with my outline. I finished it from the main character's POV, and the last half has some major problems, which I hope outlining from a couple of other character's POV will solve. I had a few interesting breakthroughs that have made the plot wobble and change onto yet another track. I was staring at my daughter's nightlight the other day. It's works kind of like a lava lamp, except it has sparkles instead of gobs of goo. The shapes it made on the wall were amazing, and I don't wonder that she wears a night shade to bed. It was spooky. The shadows it made on the wall looked like smoke moving with purpose. Then it hit me! (Not the shadows, the idea!) I had some magical gems in the first book, but they were more talisman-y than powerful magical items, but what if...
At heart, it's still a love story, but I think action is going to play a bigger role than I'd thought. I might need some guidance with that.
Next week: I'd like to finish the simple outline from the other characters' PoV and finish a character sketch on a couple of dead people.

Even though we don't sit and chat on this thread much, it is helping me meet my goals. I'm glad it got started, and hope you're all finding it useful too.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

And Anne--
I was beginning to think you were wonder woman in disguise. I'm a little relieved to find out you have limits too. Have a good weekend everyone!
--Melanie

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm putting Harper Street down for a little while because I got a novel proposal accepted for a series of trade paperbacks at Dog Horn Press. Assuming of course, that the final product comes up to snuff. Harper Street is quite different from the new project, so I won't hold anyone who agreed to read Harper Street to the same deal on this one. I'm just going to post the new project and see who's interested.

Title: Crashin' the Real

Summary: A writer for an alternative entertainment magazine in Detroit is the Leona Helmsey of the local party scene until her hip employer sells out to a communications conglomerate. When she sets fire to the snotty young receptionist's desk, she finds herself on the unemployment line. Confused, depressed and irate, she finds out that no one else is interested in taking her on, either. Then one night, she has an epiphany while watching an Aeromsith video on MTV at three oclock in the morning - if she can just find Steven Tyler, she knows he can explain to her how - and why, the world has changed so much. The former toxic twins has successfully surfed every sling and arrow outrageous fortune has sent twanging their way. Convincing her 75 year old grandmother to go with her, they set out on a road trip to LA, a life-changing, mind-blowing trip that changes everything she thought she knew about life.

this week's goal: Get first chapter completed, finish outline.

anybody interested? I'll be completing the first chapter this weekend.

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited September 30, 2008).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Deb! That's great news.
And, of course, go ahead and send me the first chapter of the new project.

Last week's goals: Dunno if the snowflake method is right for me, but I did do some planning. Most of my work was cut short by class and thesis difficulties, plus the major cold I caught last night. =P Still, it's at least been increasingly on my mind.

New goals: Continuation of last week's development of outline and characters. Finish second chapter.

Despite the Evil Cold, I've gotten a lot done tonight with character creation and such. Idea formation is actually not so hard when my brain is off floating in the clouds, it seems.

I apologize to everyone whose chapters I've not finished (hi, satate and IB); I blame it on the abovementioned large amounts of classwork. I'll try to get to them soon.

[This message has been edited by BoredCrow (edited September 27, 2008).]

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

send me the second chapter when you're done, BC!
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Former Goal Results: I had planned to finish the re-write of chapter 1, alas I didn't even open the file. I did fiddle with the mindmap some, but that was more like rearranging the deck chairs....

Life, being what it is, got in my way this week. 8(

New Goal (same as the old goal): Finish the re-write of chapter 1 and finish the MindMap, that I am using in place of an outline, for the rest of the novel. I like my chapter 2 and 3 but think I need to complete the planning along with the rewrite of chapter 1. Then I'll have a pretty good view of the whole book and a complete first act.

Chapter-Swapping Info: Not until I get a good re-write of chapter 1. Although, I am reading/critting CL Lynn's Mists of Blackfen Bog, too bad she is not in this group.

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

Deb, Congratulations! I'm really excited for you. I don't have anything to trade yet, but I would be glad to crit what you've got.
-Melanie

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I am reading/critting CL Lynn's Mists of Blackfen Bog, too bad she is not in this group.

Uh...she could be in this group. All she'd have to do is join Hatrack...and then this group.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

She is a member of hatrack. I remember that title. I can't remember - was that a novel or a short?

Unwritten, I'm glad that you're glad. I'll get it out to you this weekend.

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited September 27, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited September 27, 2008).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a novella.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Ha! Ha! I was right on both counts.
marchpane
Member # 8021

- posted      Profile for marchpane   Email marchpane         Edit/Delete Post 
Goal Results: Failed pretty miserably I'm afraid. I got a fair bit of writing done, but I think attempting to finish the chapter was ambitious. At the risk of making excuses, finding out on Monday that I had to drop everything to go househunting up north wasn't much help...

Current Goal: Once again: finish the chapter! I'm going to start a Masters degree in two weeks, so I don't have much time left before my writing hours will dwindle.

Chapter Swapping: As I said in last week's thread, my situation is a bit... odd, as I'm more than halfway through my draft. I can swap for my most recently completed chapters, plus a summary of the story so far - to spare any readers from having to struggle through 150+ pages of old stuff!

Posts: 91 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Old Goal - start the next chapter and figure out how everything happens

Happily, I made all my goals. I know what I want to happen and how and I got started on it.

Next Week's goal - Finish the chapter and plan for the next.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Hooray for a fellow Master's student!
What are you studying, marchpane? I'm in zoology. Hope you still manage to find SOME time to write once you start your program!

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

Oooh! A zoologist. Boy, do I have some questions for you. What do you know about the brown bear?

edited: I just remembered you're a bird lover. Still, there's a pretty good chance you know more about bears than me. So, the question still stands.

[This message has been edited by Unwritten (edited September 27, 2008).]

Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post 
Last weeks goal was to make a decision on my novel's ending. Last scene was eating at me and I rewrote the last two chapters until my wrists ached! But, then, my husband came home (he works out of state during the week) and said why don't you just: "blatantly obvious and brilliantly simple advice?" which was the breakthrough for me and I have my cowboy riding off into the sunset scene. (not literally, but you get the drift)

Do you all get excited for your characters when everything works out just perfectly (not always saying happily, but perfectly) for them? Warm fuzzies don't always come from things that are warm or fuzzy.

Didn't re-write the beginning stuff I needed to.

I'm into the stories I'm swapping with, but unfortunately, I get names on here mixed up: Sorcerer's Son, Journey, and now Graveyard. I'm finding tagging along with the creative process for others to be inspiring. The group is helping me out, too!

My News is that I received a request from an agent this week for manuscript. I'm sending out the first and the second. But, I'm not sure about selling rights to my first book, because if I write a book a year, like I dream of doing, I'm hoping hanging onto them will be a good idea in the long run. However, I don't do PR well and I really do want an agent. I don't know, I think I'm just sending out the first to make sure they have an idea of my style

My goals for next week are to finish out the edits my editor has sent over so I can send out the manuscript by the end of the week, at the latest. Then get back on the polishing. Oh and to get to the title. I still don't have a title for this bad boy.

Swapping: I have a particular chapter that has a sorta flashback in it that I would like read by an outsider. I just need a totally objectionable crit without knowing anything else that is going on, sorta deal. Maybe a crit of the writing style of the single chapter by itself. I'll be happy to take an outsider look at anyone's work. Though, I'm quite enjoying my current reads and wouldn't want to get too mixed up. I'd say a chapter for a chapter with anyone else who wants a single selection crit away from the rest of the story... if that makes sense.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Unwritten - specifically the Brown Bear that lives in Alaska? I don't know that species as well as the Black Bear or the Grizzly Bear.
Anyway, in general I'm not too much about bears... but there are some people in my department who do. Email me with any specific questions, about bears or anything else zoological.

That goes to everyone - if for some reason, you have animal (or even plant!) questions, feel free to ask. I love any occasion to babble on about my field. Some of you will note that in upcoming chapters of Graveyard, there are mentions of the ecology of the Dry Lands.

And Regansgame- go ahead and send the chapter to me. I owe you.

marchpane
Member # 8021

quote:
Hope you still manage to find SOME time to write once you start your program!

Heh, me too...! I'll be studying at my alma mater so at least I won't have to worry about getting used to the place. The goal for the next 2 weeks is to just get as much done as I can, and outline what I can't do, so that I know exactly what needs to be written whenever I get the chance to sit down and do it...

I'm doing Medieval Studies, which I guess couldn't be more different from zoology. My best friend's a zoologist though; she starts her Masters in a year. Are you going to go on to a doctorate or just stick with the shorter course?

[This message has been edited by marchpane (edited September 28, 2008).]

Posts: 91 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Oh, just the one degree. I'm not the professorial type; I prefer to work in the field, but still at a management level (thus the Master's.)

Maybe sometimes I could ask you for 'believabity' checks when I write more medieval fantasy?

So now that we've got a few of our careers established, what fields of expertise do others here have to share? I speak French, and tiny bits of Arabic, Swedish, Japanese and Spanish.

marchpane
Member # 8021

Yes, please do feel free to ask me about medieval things! Any excuse to indulge in shameless geekery. I can't guarantee I will know all the answers, but I can at least make educated guesses that sound like they're right

I speak French too (I grew up in French-speaking Switzerland!) and some Spanish and medieval Latin. I know *a little* Scottish Gaelic but I'm mostly teaching myself that so my translation skills are limited.

[This message has been edited by marchpane (edited September 28, 2008).]

Unwritten
Member # 7960

BC, I am sending you an e-mail with "hatrack" in the subject line. Thanks a lot.

I'm not an expert in anything that is nearly so exciting. I have degrees in elementary education, psychology, counselling and special education, and I'm a (slightly rusty) expert in intelligence testing. I'm semi-expert in music, I know what it's like to live on both sides of the United States, and I can spot the writing of someone pretending they know what it's like to raise kids from a mile away.

debhoag
Member # 5493

I have a doctorate in clinical psych. I specialize in duel diagnosis.
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post 
wow-

Deb, I need to pick your brain. One of my characters is a psychiatrist for the fed. prison system. Of course, this has made her a crust of a human being who has lost faith in the good in people and she is handicapped in the area of imagination. This does not sound like you, though. Do you ever deal with clients who have commited great crimes, like murder and such? Or private practice?

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

I have a degree in Early Chilhood Education. I taught General Music and teach piano lessons. Sorry, nothing too interesting.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Oh, you'd be surprised, satate. One of my characters in another novel is a pianist, and though I can read music, I know little to nothing about actual piano techniques. I may be interested in emailing you some questions at some point.

I had a great breakthrough tonight about why I haven't been able to write the second chapter of Graveyard - I didn't have Celeste's mood right. No wonder nothing she did made sense to how I felt the chapter should go! Anyway, the chapter is all in fragments, so I honestly don't have a single thing to send out. The first chapter is the only complete one; there is almost nothing else written. I promise I'll share as soon as it's ready, for all of those who've asked.

MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Made small progress on the Snowflake method. Wrote one-paragraph summaries of the story, from the viewpoint of each of three characters. Also did some updates in Character Interviews.

Goals: keep going, make progress. Avoid excessive distractions.

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Deb!!!!

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Well, though I didn't have a windfall of words that poured forth from my fingertips, I did solve my dilemma. No, to finshing plotting and outlining the other works...

debhoag
Member # 5493

Thanks, King's Falcon. Now all I have to do is produce.
marchpane
Member # 8021

I've done quite a bit so far this week and am still hopeful of making my goal, so I'm happy.

Well. That was until I realised, last night, that I'm going to have to kill someone off. Now I'm sad.

satate
Member # 8082

Ah ha! I finished my chapter. Now I have to figure out what happens next. I used to know and then I discovered two new characters that weren't in my original plan. So while I know where everything is going I have a few details that need to be rearranged with the addition of a few new friends.

Congrats to Deb, if you need a reader let me know.

BC feel free to e-mail me anytime about questions about piano. I also play flute, piccolo, recorder, and learned how to teach and play all the instruments in orchestra and band and have played in almost every type of music ensemble that exists.

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Deb - (can't help myself, giggle) - does that mean you challenge one diagnosis to a fight to the death? (duel, dual..., laughing to myself over here...)

I'm glad to see the snowflake method has been a source of inspiration for so many - it's helped me out of a few jams, it's a useful tool for the toolbox, I find.

Bragging about myself and my skills for a moment, I'm a breastfeeding expert (I'm the bfeeding expert on a big parenting site that is relaunching sometime in the next week) and knowledgeable about most parenting topics, gifted education, adult learning theory and instructional design (this is where I've traditionally made my living.) I'm a hobbyist natural gardener - just ask my weeds, we're friendly, vegetarian, cat lover. I lived in the third world as a teen for several years so I know what it's like to be an expat.

As far as novel goals - well, now that my WOTF 4Q entry is off, I've got time again. This month is my old novel month, in advance of next month when I plan to do the crazy nano thing, which will mean even less sleep and more insanity than I have in my life right now. Not sure how that is going to go, but hope to have some real progress on my YA sci-fi novel this month so that perhaps it's ready to query by November. Eek.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

my mania challenges your psychosis to step outside!
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

KaTi --
I got a kick out of your expertise. I'm the only one I know who could do just about anything with a baby in a sling eating -- and nobody knew!

I can speak-a the Korean (at a 3rd grade level, anyway.) I attended Defense Language Institute in Montery, Ca in 99-00. I was told that was the nation's top school and I was on the Dean's List for a minute or two. That's the only unique thing I know, other than how to frame up a wall, wire in a light, or lay tile. I majored in International Business as USA, and dropped out of Massage Therapy School.

BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Hee, I took a middle school field trip to the Monterey Defense Lenguage Institute! I had a great time.
More evidence of how small a world it is.

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
We have a good friend who did an advanced degree at that school, too (if it's the one I'm thinking of) - so there you have it, small indeed.

Reagansgame, sorry you're the only one you know! I've had many cases of strangers coming up to tickle my babies' toes and either discover or fail to discover the little one was eating at the time. I've also been impressed at the slinging prowess of friends and all the various methods of baby carrying. I'm starting to see slings (and hopefully at least some other components of natural parenting including breastfeeding) in more and more mainstream environments - hollywood moms are often seen slinging their babies (or even, in one cool shot of David Arquette w/baby Coco, Hollywood dads.)

Sorry - back to your regularly scheduled programming, which last I checked is a dual duel between mania and psychosis. Paranoia is on deck.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.