Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotfCritique Group 2009 Q02 -- Early Submissions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: WotfCritique Group 2009 Q02 -- Early Submissions
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a critique group for writers that will be entering a story for the second quarter of 2009 in the Writers of the Future contest (26th year), and do so on an early schedule.

Anyone is welcome to join. If you do though, please follow the directions for such. Currently, the group consists of me:
WriterDan

If you want to join the group for this quarter, please re-post the current names list in a reply and add your name to the bottom.

Deadlines for this quarter's crits are as follows:

December 1st: Start writing
January 21st: First drafts out for crits
February 14th: Second drafts out for crits
March 7th: Mail-in final drafts for Q02

Note: The official mail-in deadline for this quarter is March 31st; however, this group's deadlines are set up so that all entries can be mailed well before the deadline and hopefully beat the rush at the end of the quarter.

When you send out drafts for critique, please do so in a generic format so that everyone will be able to open your file. (eg. rtf, txt. Pdf is okay too, but won't allow for in-text comments.)

Helpful links:
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum5/HTML/000060.html

[This message has been edited by WriterDan (edited January 08, 2009).]

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Please, count me in. I'll try not to be a nuissance.

WriterDan
Patrick James

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
OH Boy! A group for writers that are nuissances! Sounds like one for me!

WOTF 2nd quarter 2009(early submissions)
WriterDan
Patrick James
Snapper

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Due to the loss of all my edtis, I'm out of the present quarter, but will be in this one.

WriterDan
Patrick James
Snapper
darklight

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Count me in. I promise to be a better participant this quarter.

WriterDan
Patrick James
Snapper
darklight
AWSullivan

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in, too.
My hard drive died and I'm having difficulties. Lots of difficutlies. Like, how do I get this new computer hard drive to remember my password here?

Sigh, I'm still working on Cory. I lost quite a bit of that with the hard drive.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Would you like me to send you the latest version of Cory that you sent me, arriki?

WriterDan
Patrick James
Snapper
darklight
AWSullivan
arriki

Anybody know if WOTF appreciates sci-fi comedy?

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno yet whether I'm going to be in this group or the normal-schedule group, but I also wanted to remind you, arriki, that I have a relatively new version of Cory if you need it.

And great question, PatrickJames. I was wondering almost the same thing - in my case, whether to write a futuristic fantasy with strong shades of humor, or a straight-out fantasy.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Question for you guys - when you start your WOTF stories do you run them through the Short Story Crit area first?

I'm going to try this, but I'm not sure if I'll have time to complete it within the limits suggested. Oh, and no one go and start quoting Yoda on me.

WriterDan
Patrick James
Snapper
darklight
AWSullivan
arriki
philocinemas

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Yes, please do email me the "no no this is the patest copy" that's that last one, I think. Oh dear, I made some important changes after that.

Thanks, guys

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

WOO-HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just had some inspiration peoples, and I am STOKED for this quarter!

Had an idea for a story this quarter that I was pretty ho-hum about, and didn't really have an ending for yet. It was interesting, but not KA-POW, you know?

So, the other day I listened to this podcast on podcastle that I didn't particularly care for, but it got me thinking.

And most times, that's all it takes for my ideas to come.

OOH! I need to get writing. But dang I still have to draft my Q01 entry. Where's the love!?

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

I will most likely be late on first draft. Hope no one minds.

I am doing a comedy--I have never tried comedy. I hope I get at least one laugh.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I might be dropping out, sorry. My available writing time has been very limited.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

So how is everyone doing on their first drafts? Me? You're asking me? Well...um...I still need to get to that most very important first word.

Eep. Eep.

Yes, even the crickets agree: I am a slacker. Just got back from a whirlwind tour including my little brother's wedding, not to mention Holiday fun with the family. Was all a blast, but made my vacation time fly out the window like the proverbial finch. Actually, still suffering from the shock that I'm back at school. Ugh.

Anyhow, was curious where everyone else was sitting, and if maybe anyone else could use a bit of a delay on our first deadline. Would just like to know where everything is sitting for this upcoming quarter.

Luckily, I finished plotting my story on the bus this afternoon as I was riding up to school. Have to admit that I'm pretty excited about it. And all this after hours of contemplation on the big Q-word in relation to WotF. Sheesh.

Luck everyone.

snapper
Member # 7299

Oh Damn!

Look, I got something done but it still needs work, and unfortunately, I have other loose ends to tie up. Just as soon as I get this old story fixed up I'll get back to my WotF and then bug the rest of you.

How's the rest of you doing?

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

75% done(stop)deadline jan 7th(pause)no chance(stop)jan 14th projected fin(end of tranmission)
arriki
Member # 3079

New Year's Resolution:

I am going to polish up THE VANISHING BASEMENT for this quarter. Take a two week break and write a first draft of a totally (or maybe finish the one set on Cyddonia Station -- orbiting Mars) new story from the list of ideas above my desk and then I'll finish Cory for the third quarter.

Think I can hold to that schedule?

The BASEMENT should not take more than 2-3 weeks. It's in pretty good shape as it is. Every teen and preteen who's read it has loved it.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

So, it looks like a decent 1st draft date would be the 21st.

Yea?

That still puts us two weeks ahead of the deadlines for the end of the quarter, which is good. I'll move the 2nd deadline back to the 14th too. That way we'll still have time for the all-important drafting stage. I'll update the first post to reflect these changes.

snapper
Member # 7299

Whew,

I believe my draft is ready. Do I win a prize for being first? Who wants it or should I just dump it in everyones lap?

Patrick James
Member # 7847

You may send it to me, you fast-um-typer-man. (And its snapper by a nose!)
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Just throw it out to everyone. As far as I know, the list above is still in effect. Philo-- said he/she might have to drop out, but haven't heard anything else since then. Time for some spamming. I'll be looking for it.
snapper
Member # 7299

I will assume that he (Philo) is out until I hear otherwise. In the meantime...

Editing to say I sent it away to everyone. Let me know if I missed ya.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited January 14, 2009).]

philocinemas
Member # 8108

I might submit something I did for the sudden fiction contest a while back. I'm still working on the other piece, and I haven't gotten very far. I have worked on the first story a little and it is now 2200 words. What do any of you think would be a good word count for WOTF?

Edited to add question mark.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited January 16, 2009).]

snapper
Member # 7299

WotF excepts anything under 17000 words, so you're good, Philo.

Thanks to arriki, WriterDan, and Patrick James for reading my entry. I am ready if anyone has their done.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

I'll trade off with you snapper and with anyone else who is ready.

(My story is "The Trade", so if anyone's already seen it in the last Sudden Fiction Contest, it hasn't changed that much - I've just touched it up and added a little)

snapper
Member # 7299

Sure thing, Philo.

I am putting some finishing touches on a few cosemitic changes based on some suggestions that the others made. Although, I have yet to understand how dousing it in gasoline and lighting a match will help it.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

Snapper, if it is on your computer, all you need is a sturdy baseball bat.

That just goes to show you that you can't trust every suggestion you get from a critic.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Hey Philo,

I'm open for any critting. Send yours my way. I'm not quite done with my story yet. Have it all plotted, just getting the prose out of my head now. Coming along slowly but surely.

Dan

philocinemas
Member # 8108

Thanks guys. I'm sending it to you now.
arriki
Member # 3079

philocinemasI'll have go at it.

I'm stalled on the basement story. I decided the ending was too abrupt but haven't figured out a better one yet.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

Thanks, arriki. I'll send it over. This was actually the first short story I had written in about 20 years. Asimov's and Analog didn't seem too impressed, so I figured, what the heck, I'd go ahead and submit it to WoTF. I've completed one since then, and I've got 2-3 in the works. The second wasn't as good, and the others are going slow.

arriki
Member # 3079

I read it. Cute idea but I think I can see why the magazines are passing on it.

There are some bad flaws -- in my opinion -- that you need to fix. they're tricky ones having to do with the whole thing relying on double entendre.

I'm sending you my comments after they've had a while to simmer and age and, maybe, improve.

arriki
Member # 3079

Endings – I’ve got a new book on the subject which brought up some ideas I wanted to discuss with other writers.

First, it’s kind of like the advice that Donald Wollheim used to give out. He said that he always read the first page of a mss then (if that passed muster) the last page, to see if they were on the same subject.

In THE THIRD ACT by Drew Yanno (a screenwriting text but I read those for insight to story and plot and stuff like that),Yannoe talks about stories failing because the question raised in chapter one isn’t answered in chapter three (the last act).

In my latest story about a basement, I have all this happening with a basement but don’t really get down to answering the question raised that Tommy doesn’t believe in basements. Looking at the story as a whole I can see this is a weakness. The lack does not ruin the story. It’s more like a stumble, as if a step were too tall or too low as you’re coming down a set of stairs. However, stumbles like this are reasons why stories don’t get to finals, or, maybe, even to honorable mentions when they seem okay to the casual reader.

That’s what I’m struggling with right now on m WOTF story – answering the first question. That and the ending itself which Yanno says the third act is all about the final battle. Set up, the final battle, outcome of the final battle, denouement, and “the bridge.”

What do you guys think?

I’ve felt a weakness both in the basement story and in “Cory.” I think this may be part of, if not the whole, problem. And, as I come to understand this concept better, I think I’m going to be looking for or finding it in your stories as I critique them.

I thought I’d mention this so you are forewarned about my latest “great idea.”

Patrick James
Member # 7847

Consider me warned. Sounds like a good project/idea. The results should prove interesting.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC talks about this in HOW TO WRITE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY when he talks about the structure of his M.I.C.E. story categories and how each kind of story has to end.

I mention that here because it's a little more specific. Each kind of story asks a different kind of question, and each kind of story ends differently because each kind of question has a different kind of answer.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

At long last I've finished the re-draft of my story. It's the same one as last quarter that I lost a portion of. Is it ok to send to everyone?

Ready to recieve stories from everyone too. How's it all going? I've spent the last few weeks going over a novel I just entered into the Amazon Breakthrough contest but ready now to get back into WotF.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Boy, I haven't even heard about the Amazon novel breakthrough contest before and here I've read about it twice in just the last couple of hours. Crazy.

Still working on my story. New one about...well...good stuff.

Go ahead and send your story out to everyone on the list, darklight. In fact, here it is again so you don't have to go searching.

WriterDan
Patrick James
Snapper
darklight
AWSullivan
arriki
philocinemas

Looking forward to reading your story.

darklight
Member # 5213

WriterDan, thanks for that.

I finally got around to sending it off to everyone. If you didn't get it, give me a shout.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

So, I just emailed you back and complained about the fact that it was a docx file. Apparently, Microsoft has a patch for earlier versions of Word that will allow for them to open docx files. Nice. Thought everyone else might want to know. Then again, maybe I'm just behind the curve and everyone knows this already.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Okay, here I am. It looks like I might possibly be able to finish the first draft of my story tonight. Only have about 2k words or so left to go, and I really NEED to get it done so that I can kick things into high gear with my PhD dissertation starting next week. So, watch for it coming down the pipe. It'll be by Monday at the latest. I'm such a slacker. But in my defense (of this self-inflicted attack), this was a big one.
arriki
Member # 3079

I'm sorry, but this was so...humorous I had to share the comment with you guys. I hope I'm on the right WOTF topic.

I'm reading the full moon thing and the first sentence stopped me cold.

A real nit, but, since it IS the first line – I thought he had a canteen of some liquid and was pouring it into something. You might want to use a different term for the place. I had no idea you meant a house of refreshment rather than some piece of camping equipment.

darklight
Member # 5213

Thanks so much for the public humiliation, just what I needed.
arriki
Member # 3079

I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that. I thought it was just a humorous oversight and wanted to share it because humor is so rare these days.
snapper
Member # 7299

Yes, it is so rare to see anything humorously written these days, can't remember the last time I seen anyone write down something funny.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited February 07, 2009).]

arriki
Member # 3079

didn't you see the humor in my "Fish Story"?
snapper
Member # 7299

You didn't send me your 'fish' story. I am eager to read it. Please do so.
snapper
Member # 7299

My apology's arriki. I checked my records. I did read you Fish Story. How did that do in the WotF contest anyway?
arriki
Member # 3079

Just an HM. I really thought it deserved better, but then, don't we all -- think our stories deserved better.

I failed to finish CORY for the fourth quarter, so I don't have a story this time. I hope I can get the basement story polished in time and go on to CORY (after writing an entirely new story between them -- something to have simmering in my subconscious for a future quarter).

Patrick James
Member # 7847

That's okay, darklight, I would love if my stories were discribed as humorous. As it is they have been discribed as: Boring, barely readable, dull, nonsensical, sophomoric,...where is that one Annepin sent me... pathetic, not unlike water-boarding, and lacking character.

Critiques were sometimes as short as: Needs work... and I dont know where to begin.

Just joking about the Annepin comment. I am sure she would never say something so hurtful. The others on the other hand...

snapper
Member # 7299

What are you talking about PJ? I haven't even got a chance to trash your work yet.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.