Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Crit 2009 Q2 -regular (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: WotF Crit 2009 Q2 -regular
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, lots of folks signed up for the advanced level. I know myself too well now; I'll never meet the early deadlines. So here's the regular group.

Deadlines:
First draft: January-ish
Second draft: February-ish
Official mail in deadline: March 30.

I'm going to keep it loose and unstructured. If you need a hard and fast deadline to keep you motivated, let me know, and I will give it to you. And I'll bug you about it. Otherwise, send in your stuff when you can.

The only rule is if you receive a crit you should return it. But that goes without saying.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm best off signing up for this group too. I'm going to be down to the wire with this quarter's entry as it is.

Group members:
annepin
BoredCrow

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
The three of us again, eh? Are we all going to actually enter it this time? I seem to recall some attrition in recent quarters for a variety of reasons...

I actually have the beginnings of an idea, which is huge for me. I'm down to the wire girl usually, but my post-Nano euphoria has extended long enough for me to get down some snips and bits and drips and drabs of story ideas and one in particular is calling my name more than the others. (something about a teen getting as a gift from crazy aunt abigail a pre-paid cell phone, one of the dorky kinds. but it opens a portal... )

So count me in.(I love the "ish" dates too, LOL)

Group members:
annepin
BoredCrow
KayTi

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, add me in too. The early group is too much pressure. I have still not sent in my Q1 entry. I am too busy fretting over it and contemplating a major re-write! I will send it in though! (keep repeating...)

Group members:
annepin
BoredCrow
KayTi
LAJD

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I added my name to this list already.

Anyway, I'm in the game. Just trying to decide which story to polish up this time. I have a lot of unsold stories to chose from, sigh.

Sometime I WILL have to write some new ones, but the well is nowhere near dry.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Welcome, ladies!

Group members:
annepin
BoredCrow
KayTi
LAJD
arriki

Any menfolk out there? Or have you guys got it all together?

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
That is extremely wierd. Can any of you ladies answer what it is that attracted you, because I would like--I mean--need to know.
Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icared
Member # 8091

- posted      Profile for Icared   Email Icared         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I have also learned that I can not submit a story early even if I start writing it way before. Good luck to us all.

Group members:
annepin
BoredCrow
KayTi
LAJD
arriki
Icared

Posts: 51 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope my dictator voice didn't scare any of you away from the early group. Truth is, I suck at getting my stories out early too. Still working frantically on my entry for this quarter as well. Have found in the last two quarters though that I haven't been as down to the wire as I have been in the past. That's worth something, I guess. Plus, this way we can keep the numbers per group a bit lower. Glad to see that you got this group started, Annepin. And it looks like it going to be: Go Girls! Hope you'll let some of the boys in on the fun this quarter. Maybe we'll try for some cross-contamination later in the quarter. Luck all.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Well, in the end these things seem to devolve into something of a free-for-all anyway!
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Girls got koodies!

Nana-nana!

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

annepin
Member # 5952

just going to bump 'er up so she doesn't get lost in the mishmash below.

How are folks doing? I'm waffling between two different stories.

Mm... waffles...

BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Great, anne, now I want waffles too. :P

I had a good night of rewriting "The Dying Time" last night. Sooo, I hope no one's too sick of reading it, because since I didn't finish it in time for last quarter, I'm turning it in this quarter.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

Well I haven't read it, so you have that going for you.

I made progress. I actually found the file where I wrote the prelim notes on my story and *opened it*

That was yesterday. Today maybe I'll even read the three paragraphs I wrote. Tomorrow, perhaps a sentence will get written.

Oh my, I'm stuck in the "can't get motivated" January bottoms. Bah!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

So, I am chugging along and nearly have a first draft. I think this quarter's entry is a better fit for WoTF because it's pretty hard SF. No actual rockets but *allusions* to rockets, bombs and and very dystopic future! 8) No pansy faeries this go-around!

So as to when I will be ready to do the whole critting-thing? Ahhh... end of the month. Unless someone else is ready eariler and then I will try to pull that in.

Ooh, Bored Crow, I liked the Dying Time, that was good.

Anyone else close?

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icared
Member # 8091

I will be starting my story before the beginning of February. Honest. I have the idea, the characters, the beginning of the plot. Everything I need to get started.

I just have this other story that I really liked and needs revising. It should be quick if I get my hands on it, but somehow I haven't been able to start yet.

How is everyone else doing? Let's all start and finish in a month and ambush the early timetable group! I don't really know how you ambush someone with a story though...

Posts: 51 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Why don't you guys just send me stuff out whenever it's ready? I've got a story, i just need to rework it a little... I guess it's proing more work than I barganed for. Heck, rewriting always gets me!
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Welcome, ladies!
Group members:
annepin
BoredCrow
KayTi
LAJD
arriki

Any menfolk out there? Or have you guys got it all together?

Well ladies, I think I might join you if you will have me. I have one that I should have had in for Q408 but I was malady-stricken. Time for me to get back on track.I will have my draft ready in the next few days.

~Scott

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Hey Bent Tree! Glad to see you back, and still writing! To all: send your drafts out whenever they are available. Me, I have to find a new brain before I can write. I'll keep you updated.

Looking forward to reading your stuff!

BoredCrow
Member # 5675

A brand new story tackled me on Sunday and didn't let me go until I finished writing it. So, I think that one is going to be my entry for the quarter. It needs a LOT of work, but I'm excited about it's potential.

So yes, it will be a week or two before it's ready to be looked at.

[This message has been edited by BoredCrow (edited January 27, 2009).]

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

BoredCrow,

You should edit out the title from your last post. You wouldn't want to risk getting disqualified for making the title public although the chances of a judge seeing it here is kinda slim.

Cheers to the inspiration though feel free to send it over whenever you are ready for a crit.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Really? That's a problem? I've seen all sorts of titles in these threads before.

Well, better safe than sorry.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Just in the WotF topics, BoredCrow. If a judge happens to see your title, it could disqualify your story.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

Well I'm still on target, but with a different story, which I think is a better match for the market anyway. It's already written, but needs work yet. I need some early readers to help me with the high-level stuff - this works, this doesn't, ditch the backstory here, beef up the backstory there, this character is as thin as plastic, etc.

I'll hopefully have it ready for a reading round (can hardly call it critting when I know I've still got work to do on it) soon. Maybe even this weekend?

BoredCrow
Member # 5675

You know I'm there, KayTi.
annepin
Member # 5952

Yes, January-ish is fast approaching! Time to buckle down. I'll try to send mine out this weekend (crossing fingers and knocking on wood.)
Icared
Member # 8091

I am definitely going to miss the January-ish deadline, probably by two weeks or so. But feel free to send your stories whenever they are ready.
LAJD
Member # 8070

Yep, me too on the missing the jan-ish deadline. I just dug out from under the slew of crits I promised in jan and now will start writing again. I do have a story that is close, though so it may be just a week for me.

Leslie

WriterDan
Member # 6456

I'm still banging away on my story, which sucks because I'm part of the Early Submission group. Anyhow, I've only received two stories from my group for critique swapping, and so since we're into February now, I thought I'd offer up my critiquing services to you all too for what little help I might be able to offer. So, throw me on the list to email if you'd like another opinion. Later.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Fear not, dear writers. "January-ish" surely extends into mid-February.
Icared
Member # 8091

Yay for the January-ish deadline!

I finally started writing my story and it is progressing faster than I had expected. I am not liking everything I wrote, but I promised myself not to stop until it is done. I hope six weeks will be enough to get it right.

[This message has been edited by Icared (edited February 04, 2009).]

arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what it is with me and this time of year. I always slack off. I'm wasting time doing 1000 piece jigsaw puzzles,instead of writing. Am I letting my mind lie fallow?

I am going to try and get some advice on the ending of the basement story. If I can find a policeman who would tell me what the police in the real world do when faced -- with the problem those in my story are. Maybe that will get me started again. Give me a firm direction to take with this rewrite of the climax.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
I have started writing again now after some months away. I would like to join this group if its not too late.

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Never too late, I'm sure, Tracy. The group isn't quite to the first draft switch yet. Coming up soon. Glad to have you around.
annepin
Member # 5952

Yay for Icared! Welcome back, Tracy.

Remember, this group is for you. If you'd rather take longer and just get one draft critted, so be it. Or you can always solicit a draft last minute. In my experience people are usually more than willing to help.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
<sigh!>

I miss having time to do 1000-piece jigsaw puzzles. I got a lot of thinking done then. Now I have to find other times in which to do my thinking.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icared
Member # 8091

Just wanted to give you all a nudge. I am more than half way done with my first draft. Though I still have close to 4K words projected to the end of the story, I think at this pace I will definitely be ready to send it to you on the President's Day. How is everyone doing? Send in some stories!
annepin
Member # 5952

Thanks for the poke, Icared. I just need to sit down and sort out my thoughts for redrafting my story. I've been failing to find the clarity about it that I want, but maybe I just need to sit down and tinker with it.
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

I have a draft to send out. Tonight it's getting batted around by my in-person writing group, but is anyone ready to crit?

I definitely am, so please feel free to send me anything y'all have. (especially you, Icared, because I totally spaced on reading the last story you sent me until it was too late for the deadline...) ::guilty face::

Icared
Member # 8091

I am always ready to crit! Seeing a story other than mine is always mind refreshing . So send it my way whenever you want BoredCrow.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

I'm open too, Crow. In the other group officially, but...you know.
annepin
Member # 5952

I think I got a draft from you, BC, didn't I? I just haven't gotten to it yet. If you've got a more recent version go ahead and send that. I plan to work on these this weekend.

(Miraculously, everything is going to happen this weekend. Stories are getting critted, stories are getting written, the garden is going to be de-weeded, the kitchen is going to be cleaned, the laundry is going to be done...)

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Sounds like passive voice to me, annepin.
Christian
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for Christian   Email Christian         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey BC, I'm available to do a crit if you want.
Posts: 135 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I just deleted the wrong copy of my story and cut the las eight thousand words from it. It looks like a day or two of overdrive.

Anne, I'll send you some magic to help you with your weekend if you say a little prayer for mine. The story you have is for something else so feel free to put that one on the back burner if you are busy. It can wait.

If the stars align and my fingers hold up, I might have mine redrafted by tommorow.

annepin
Member # 5952

quote:
Sounds like passive voice to me, annepin.

Well, this way I won't incriminate myself if tasks don't get done, right? Me to hubby: "What? I said the kitchen would be cleaned. Maybe you were supposed to do it."

quote:
Anne, I'll send you some magic to help you with your weekend if you say a little prayer for mine.

Deal!

BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Thanks, guys.
My writer's group found lots of huge mistakes, so I'll fix those before I send the draft out again.

Christian
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for Christian   Email Christian         Edit/Delete Post 
From Annepin
quote:

Well, this way I won't incriminate myself if tasks don't get done, right? Me to hubby: "What? I said the kitchen would be cleaned. Maybe you were supposed to do it."

LOL. Anne ,this literally made me laugh out loud. Too Funny.

No, worries B.C. Whenever you're ready, send it out my way.

[This message has been edited by Christian (edited February 12, 2009).]

Posts: 135 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icared
Member # 8091

The story hit 9K today. I will be finishing the last scene and going over the whole thing again tomorrow to avoid frustrating you with silly mistakes . I am not sure how the story is(It sure needs a lot of work, but I guess all first drafts do), but I really enjoyed the pace I have been keeping the last two weeks to write it.

Hope I can keep this up.

Edit: It is finished at last. I still have to go over it, but it should be ready to send in one or two days. Looking at it now, I realized I have forgotten to give it a title. I have to fix that also. God I am such a newbie!

[This message has been edited by Icared (edited February 17, 2009).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.