Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NGAS 1/10-1/16

Author Topic: NGAS 1/10-1/16
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
We missed Friday, but Sunday will do right? I didn't even realize it till I remembered today was Sunday and there wasn't a new post for this. So I'll start. I didn't really make a goal. I did in my head I just forgot to write it down in the post. I wanted to write everyday and get back into the routine of things after Christmas break and such. I am definetly back on track. I didn't write everyday but I did on most days.

My goal for this week is to finish up the chapter I'm rewriting. I was about to send in a chapter for critique when I reread it. I hated it. So I decided to do a complete rewrite. I'm liking what I have so far. Hopefully the rest will go as well. I don't think it will take the whole week, so after that I want to try and work on finishing. I'm close to the end, just a few scenes left.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I have this goal to finish my WotF entry by the 21st, and this week is already looking really sparse. Ugh. The story is gearing up to be pushing the boundaries of the word limit too. So, with 5k currently written, and a probable 15k words left in the first draft, I'm going to have to put my word goal for this week at 8k again. Going to do my best obviously. Plus, I guess if you don't push yourself, you'll never get to where you want to be. Here's to hoping.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
My goal for this week is to focus on moving forwards to the ending of the story, and not get distracted by editing.

I wrote a flash today, start to finish. Not too hard in one sitting, but still an accomplishment for me. I have real issues finding an ending. It comes from getting distracted, I think.
Speaking of distractions, I also have been world building for the next novel. Completely different world, different characters, no dragons, what so ever, and a teenage precog. I am mentally calling it Super Jerk.

This writing thing is really addicting.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I gotta get back on track with my novel, so I'm going to force myself to post goals and check in, if only to confront the fact that I haven't written anything.

I've been struggling with a rewrite of my novel for quite some time. I realize now that I've lost faith in it. I still feel the characters, but I'm pessimistic about my ability to write their story, or that it's even a worthwhile story to tell. If anyone has a cure for this, send it my way.

In the meantime, I'll continue to blunder along. So, for next time, I need to write chapter 7.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited January 12, 2009).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
My goal this week: play with my brand new niece (born Sunday 7am).

No, that's not going to take all my time, but it's all I can think about right now.

I go back to Wyoming on Thursday, so then I should get back into the swing of things.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Take a walk, Annepin. Bundle up in a decent coat, wrap a scarf around your neck, and take a great long walk. Think about your characters, think about the story, ask the tough questions and don't stop thinking until you've answered those questions. Just did this the other day and found it refreshingly productive. Turned my whole story on its head. Maybe it won't work for you. I took my walk around campus, and the view of the other students walking around seemed to help spark my imagination. If you've got something similar around (like a downtown would be a lot of fun. I need to try it some time...) check it out. This was, anyhow, what worked most wonderfully for me most recently.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
So far, I have 4,199 words (8 and 1/2 chapters on 12 pages) outlined for my next Historical Fiction.

On my collaborative novel (Dark Fantasy) 2,466 words for 9 and a partial chapters (told through 3-5 PoVs) on 6 pages.

Waiting for my other novel's readers to get back to me, and for those I owe critiques to send me their chapters.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited January 12, 2009).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost there IB! Don't lose faith in me. I'm remarkably slow at it, especially after seeing your incredible rate of return, but I am working on it.
Melanie
P.S. I am floundering in my novel editing world. My goal for this week is to get chapter 2 ready to send out. If anyone wants chapter 1, let me know.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marchpane
Member # 8021

- posted      Profile for marchpane   Email marchpane         Edit/Delete Post 
I did it! I finished my chapter A very, very small goal I know, but at least I managed to tie up the inner editor for long enough to enable me to get something done!

I'm back at university so time is once again a precious resource. If I can do the first chunk of the next chapter this week, I'll be happy...

Posts: 91 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay marchpane!
Good for you.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey IB! Told you I was close. I just sent it to you, and I liked the ending.
Melanie

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Heya! I made a New Year's resolution to stay off Hatrack when I'm at work, and so far so good. But I stayed off it at home too, and haven't written a thing since before Christmas! There may be a correlation there...

Goal: get back on the horse.

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Man, I knew this week was going to be rough. Topped out at 500 words. Ooooooooh boy. Need to do better. Next week.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.