Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 2/27-3/5

Author Topic: NSG 2/27-3/5
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to another week of Novel Support Group. How did everyone do?

My week went well, despite kids being sick and me catching a cold. I got in about 500 words a day and I think I only missed two days of not writing. I got stuck one day and just didn't know how to write what happened next, but I powered through it. I'm going to have to revisit it, but it helped just to get it down in words since the next part flowed.

My goal for next week is to keep up the 500 words a day guideline.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a lot. I'm still looking for the way to get into book three. I have to show some of what's happened between books two and three, without using a lot of exposition. It's tricky.

And I'm trying to shake a nasty cold, which hasn't helped.

I did manage about 5000 words on a new story I'm playing with, sort of twisting and putting together a couple of different folktale motifs. But, on that one, I can let myself write whatever I feel like and put the pieces together later.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I advanced 4 different projects this week, while writing a flash, and submitting two. Not to mention, I'm still recovering.

Anyway, Next Week's Goals: five pages a day new, and five pages polished on APTW. Yep. That's right. I'm going to start tweaking APTW for sending out. (Wish me luck.)

And, good luck to everyone else, too.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

Wow IB, you're a machine. Good luck on finding APTW a home. I hope someone picks it up.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, is everybody sick?

Dag bird flu!

I didn't write a lot. I think the best thing I wrote this week was the bad opening line here on hatrack.

Oh well. Thirty words adds up.

Right?

Oh and IB, if your APTW isn't published I will shocked. Electroshock therapy shocked. Dang good work.

~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I did not cause any flu!

I'm still recovering, but my writing wasn't too heavily impacted by my illness. I got 5500 words last week, hoping for a higher count this week. I've gotten through all the transition chapters, and it's all fun, intense stuff from here on out.

I'm hitting the final stretch here. Really exciting and scary.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega
Member # 8502

- posted      Profile for Omega   Email Omega         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a bit of a question. I was just wondering what it took to join the NSG because it looks like something that could really be good for me (and I'd love to help anyone else who wanted it). I'm just a bit new here so I don't really know how everything works and whatnot

thanks!

Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the super-secret handshake: If you want in, just tell us you want in.

WELCOME to The Hatrack Novel Support Group, Omega!

Okay, as far as how it works, here are our ways:

1) Every week--usually on Friday--a member starts an NSG thread for the week from that Friday until the next Thursday. (I used to do it, but others have thankfully taken up the mantle.) The reasoning is, when most of us work a full work week, our most productive hours are on the weekends...and this is a prod to remind us of our intentions.

2) The first post in said thread is usually to report on how we did and where we yet want to go. Any problems or advice will usually be added after. We don't always make our goals, but it's nice to have someone around pushing you, or to look up to, or to trade basic chapter crits with.

3) The first time you announce your work, you usually announce what genre (Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, Historical, Mystery, Suspence, etc.) it is and what grade (YA, adult, mid-grade, children's, etc,) and post the first thirteen lines (fill your reply box once), so we have an idea of what it's about. This will help you gather readers that enjoy what you write, when the time comes. Also, if you dislike a particular genre, you should let us know.

4) Critiquing: At early stages of first drafts, we only really expect basic stuff like consistency, glaring plot holes, pacing or suggestion on what it's lacking. However, if you get critiqued, you're required to give critiques. (Remember, this is chapter-by-chapter, unless otherwise agreed upon.)

5) We've had a good run in which there has been no fights, we'd like to keep it that way. Since the #1 cause of fights is defensiveness, just don't do it. If you read something that fires you up, say a polite thank you and either just don't take that advice, or cool off and see how valuable that advice is. Though Kathleen and Hatrack have a pretty good basic set of rules, remember we're all adults here (I'm pretty sure), and we formed NSG as a "novel support group".

Here's the keys, feel free to bump around. Any questions, just ask, somebody is sure to answer.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Hi Omega,
You would certainly be welcome. Basically, this group was set up to provide support to those of us working on a novel. But you may have figured that out from the title.
We're very relaxed here. The basic requirements for joining are to:
1) be working on a novel, even if you are just in the outlining stage or planning stage, and
2) come by every week to list your goals or just discuss your progress, whether it's character development, actual writing, revising... No goal is too small! We're here to cheer each other on, not to judge.

Optional bonuses include trading crits of novel chapters with the other members, and having a supportive place for whining when you can't get anything done. (I've taken advantage of that feature on several occasions.)

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

simulpost with IB!!! I guess I took too long editing. Listen to him more; he started these shenanigans.

[This message has been edited by BoredCrow (edited March 01, 2009).]

Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
After a full month of battling that bird flu, I'm finally starting to feel more like myself. (My husband tells me it was really only 5 days, but between school vacations, snow storms and sick kids he must have gotten mixed up. No way I was only sick for 5 days-and counting)

Somewhere in the delirium, I finished my short story for the sudden fiction contest and did some work on an old novel, if work you can call it. I had put it away to gather dust, but I brushed it off this week and couldn't stop reading it. That's either an extremely good sign or a symptom of the fever. Only time will tell.

I also started a shimiqua fan club on Facebook, if anyone wants to join. She took on the huge project of reading both my books to see if she thought they should be joined into one or not.

This week: Same old goal--I have written all the easy parts of Terra's Gate, but there are still many parts that need to be filled in. In particular, there is one subcharacter that I just can't seem to write about. All the parts with her in it just say "And right here she's supposed to...but, moving on..." I want to write a whole novel about this character someday, and yet I can't make myself even write a scene with her in it.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

And I almost forgot--welcome Omega!
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega
Member # 8502

horray! Glad I can join

Anyways, while I'm at it, I might as well do all of the stuff that you mentioned.

So, my first project is a Sci-fi YA-Adult (might make it mid-grade? Not sure exactly what that means). Also, I'm not going to post all thirteen lines since that puts things into the middle of a paragraph and it just doesn't make sense that way. Here's the first nine.

Sitting atop his grand throne, the Emperor let himself become one with the Universe. His mind spread like tendrils of light throughout the cosmos, finding the prominent ones still waiting to be plucked from the vine. The ones whose talents would yield the sweetest juices to nurture his Empire and make it stronger. Those men and women would find themselves treated with special care when he tracked them down, and that was always just a matter of time. Fortunately, time was something that he never ran out of.

As far as my progress on this project, it's Working Title is just "Roland" after the main character. I've got 4 chapters done, 56 pages, and 15,028 words (I write long chapters it seems). So, yeah, I think that's everything.

Oh, and no need to worry about me getting angry or anything like that. I'm real good at taking criticism like that. Not much makes me mad at all really. And if anyone would like me to read over their stuff or would like to read a chapter of mine (like I said I've got 4) just let me know. I'd be more than happy to read/share !

EDIT: Oh and thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!

[This message has been edited by Omega (edited March 01, 2009).]

Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega
Member # 8502

Oh, and I forgot my goals! My goal is to get at least one more chapter done, but I'd prefer two. I figure I should start small and work my way up
Meredith
Member # 8368

Goals--Now that I'm (mostly) over this cold, I want to find my way into book three. Once I get it going, it should go fairly well. It's just getting into it in the first place. Especially figuring out how to get in what's happened between books two and three without resorting to a lot of exposition.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

Unwritten!
Jeeze Louise woman, you'd think no one had ever read two books before.

I thank you for your kindness, and your fanhood. Do you want an autograph?

Here it is.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bycin
Member # 8297

- posted      Profile for Bycin   Email Bycin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone. I'd like to join up too, if you're accepting new people still. I put the membership dues check in the mail, you should be seeing it soon.

The novel I am working on is a fantasy aimed towards an adult audience. I've been kicking the idea around in my head for a few years now but I just can't seem to get it out. I think I'm scared that I won't be able to do justice to the story I know it could be. Hopefully, with your help, I can finally get passed that and get more than a couple thousand words down.

Here is the first thirteen. My goal is to actually finish the first chapter. I'm hoping that if I can get passed that hurdle, the rest won't seem so daunting.

quote:
The great lie of happiness is that it can last forever. Jirand shook his head at the thought and slowly emptied his shovelful of dirt into the hole. The cascading earth pattered atop the wooden box below.
“We’re all the same in the end, ain’t we?” a wry smile touched his lips as Jirand laughed, speaking aloud to the half buried casket. As he filled the shovel for another load, an arrow thunked into the ground a hairsbreadth from his foot. He spun round, dirt spraying in an arc around him as he brought the shovel to bear like a stave.
The tall figure a few yards back held a bow in a large hand and stood next to a handcart. He wore the red tabard of the city Watch, the golden falcon of Tarsid emblazoned on the chest.

[This message has been edited by Bycin (edited March 03, 2009).]

Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Welcome aboard, Bycin.
satate
Member # 8082

Welcome Bycin, now start writing. NOW! I want that first chapter done by Friday or else.

Omega
Member # 8502

welcome! We can be newbies together

In the mean time, you should power through that chapter and the rest will be easier! I'm in a similar boat even though I'm 5 chapters into my novel. There's always one chapter in a book that proves hard to write and then the rest seem to flow really freely. I'm probably just going to blow through this chapter and fix it later. There's a lot wrong with it I'm sure but I can always apply polish later ;D

BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Or, if you're more like me, Bycin, you can write the fourth chapter first and then move your way back to the others later on....

My current novel is a total oddity in that I'm writing it sequentially. So whatever works best! Do you guys all write sequentially, or do you jump around?

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Sequentially, unless I'm working with another writer or from a well-planned outline.
Meredith
Member # 8368

I work sequentially. But I will write down scenes that come later in the story if an idea comes to me. If they fit when I get to that point, then it's a piece of cake. If not, well, consider it exercise.

If I could just start with chapter four, I'd be well into Book Three by now. It's the need to get that foundation of the first couple of chapters that's holding me back. I did actually write a paragraph on it, yesterday. A whole paragraph.

shimiqua
Member # 7760

Woot! Yay Meredith.

I'm happily in Dragon Fate land now, and moving through briskly.
~Sheena

Bycin
Member # 8297

- posted      Profile for Bycin   Email Bycin         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel the same as you, Meredith. I'm at the point where I am measuring my success by paragraphs, not pages. I know this will change soon, and it is still progress, no matter how slow.

I realized that I keep procrastinating with short stories. I think it is my literary way of cleaning the house instead of getting sitting down and getting the job done. Ah well, at least it is writing.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

I write sequentially, unless a later scene catches my imagination. Then I write that one before it cools and go back to sequential.

Yay Shimiqua, do we get to read another Dragon chapter soon then?

Unwritten
Member # 7960

I write sequentially, but I skip parts that don't appeal to me at the moment, and save all those parts for the end, which is where I am now--writing the boring parts. However, I hate writing boring parts, so I try to turn them exciting, and sometimes they become my favorite parts.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

Sara,
Not quite yet, you send me your next chapter first. :0)
~Sheena

TC Ashley
Member # 8407

- posted      Profile for TC Ashley   Email TC Ashley         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally wanna join!!!!! Please!!!! I'm going crazy in my world! (aka my novel) and I could really use some help....and I'm fairly descent at crits.....where do I sign in blood? Or send my dna sample?
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TC Ashley
Member # 8407

OKay...I'm going to go ahead and give yall the descrip of my book:

It's Science Fiction (I don't live anywhere else) and mostly likely adult. It'll end up there eventually.

I've got 32 chapters finished but recently dicovered what that nagging thought in the back of my head was so now I have an additional five chapters to add on to the begining that are going to be---it's compicated. Anyhoo...It's mostly finished, very detailed outline on my bedroom wall too...

It's about...well...the balance of magic. I know, sounds dumb but the way it's brought to the reader is this: Ainslie Wentworth thinks she's crazy. She's been halicinating and a mountain of other things since her parent's death when she was 12. She's now a charge of her "Uncle's" and he's a badguy that's a doc. and keeps her doped up on meds. Things fall into place, Ainslie stops taking her meds cold turkey and everything falls to hell in a hand basket. The next thing she knows is she wakes up a million miles from home, with a Gargoyle and a Knight that are risking their lives to protect her.

This is a weird way of describing it....makes more sense when you read it....

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Welcome aboard, TC Ashley.
TC Ashley
Member # 8407

Can I post my first thirteen or....what do I do first?
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Sounds like fun, Ashley, but you probably knew that I thought so. That's why I dragged you here in the first place.

Let's see... for the next step, you could:
1)Post your first thirteen
2)Ask for people willing to swap chapters, if you're at the stage when you need crits*
3)Ask us all a question on a plot point/character trouble/etc to get opinions
4)Whine
5)State your accomplishments
6)Give everyone cookies

So as you can see, we're pretty relaxed here.
(*if you are, I'll swap with you)

TC Ashley
Member # 8407

Well, if yall were here I would certainly make cookies! But alas....just a web site. I won't complain...I do that too much in the real world. Would love to swap chapters with someone...but I'll start out by this...posting my first thirteen...or so.

The Guardians Of Gravenhurst
Book V
Grace

Part 1: Four Grey Walls and Four Grey Towers

It wasn’t the first time I woke from a nightmare frightened to the point where I was running out my front door from the red-eyed shadow that was trying to kill me in my bed room. It wasn’t the first time I’d fallen along the slick sidewalk behind Market Square and cut up my legs. It wasn’t even the first time I’d come to an abrupt stop in front of the house with the two doors, suddenly forgetting what I was running from in the first place. All I knew was that I needed to come here, to be safe…

TC Ashley
Member # 8407

As for my accomplishments....by some dumb stroke of luck I survived four years in the Marine Corps...

[This message has been edited by TC Ashley (edited March 04, 2009).]

Omega
Member # 8502

Welcome! And as far as chapter swapping, I wouldn't mind doing it. I could use someone to look over my first (and others but we can always arrange that later). So, if you're interested just let me know and we can e-mail swap or however it works, haha.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

Sweet, a Marine! Thank you for your service, and welcome to the group.
~Sheena

TLBailey
Member # 8499

- posted      Profile for TLBailey   Email TLBailey         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, me too, me too *waves hand frantically in the air* I want to join, and I brought lots of chocolate chip cookies, all warm and gooey.

My novel is SF, and this is my first time writing fiction.
It's probably Adult or YA, though I never really thought about it.

Working Title: Atlantis Rising

Plot basics, (skipping a lot of details): The people of Atlantis are still around, but an old enemy is returning to destroy them (well actually Earth) and now the Atlanteans who have been concealing their presence all this time must make their presence known as they prepare to defend Earth.

first thirteen:

Two young fugitives frantically climb the steep rocky slope riddled with sagebrush and wildflowers. They're driven onward by both the fear of capture and the hope of escape, while trying to ignore the throbbing ache in their legs, sides, and chests. It seems as though they have been running forever.

A black helicopter hovers above them like an angry hornet against the bluebonnet sky. The rapid thump thump thump of its rotors reverberates around them like an amplified echo from their pounding hearts. Below them on the gravel road, a growling black Ford Galaxy leads an army of yellow dust.

Aria looks back in time to see the black Ford swallowed by the dust as it skids to a halt. “They’re coming…, we’re… not going… to make it!” She yells breathlessly to the boy leading

By the way, being new, I have'nt got a lot of experience with critiquing, so if I screw up, please let me know and bear with me.
Thanks
TL

[This message has been edited by TLBailey (edited March 05, 2009).]

Posts: 72 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

Welcome TLBailey, glad to have you. If you want some information about critiquing you can check out the posts in the Ways to Critique area. I'm sure you'll catch on. Are you looking to swap chapters?
TLBailey
Member # 8499

- posted      Profile for TLBailey   Email TLBailey         Edit/Delete Post 
Soon, I would like that very much. I think I could really use some good critiquing.

I think I have most of the first chapter done, and a fair portion of the second, however for the last week or so I've really been working on what I'm calling a background document. In it I'm listing characters, and their attributes, as well as a general event list and "what if" list which is helping me see the path this story follows. I'm also including key background elements.

I start this after finding this site and learning a great deal about writing SF. Before all this was fogy clutter in my already cluttered brain. Now it's becoming much clearer and I'm excited to really get going.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

I wrote the beautiful words the end today. Thanks Melanie, you were so right!

Just thought I'd share.
~Sheena

Unwritten
Member # 7960

Woo hoo! That's awesome, Sheena!
I'm so excited for you. Now, back to work on that sequel!
(cracks whip)
Melanie

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

King's to you, Sheena!

You're top dog this week. Congratulations!!!

satate
Member # 8082

Yay for Sheena!
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, I drop off the face of the planet for a few weeks and suddenly the entire world has joined the novel support group. Wish I could say that all of my efforts have been aimed at the novel, but alas they've been aimed toward my dissertation (which currently sits at 83 pages I might add, even if my computer program that should be giving me results still doesn't quite work...yet...). Thought I'd drop in and see how everyone was doing. Sounds good. Can't wait to get back to my novel. It's nearly killing me to not work on it, but being in school from sun up to WAY past sun down just isn't affording me the luxury. Plus, if my wife saw me working on something other than the dissertation, she'd probably shoot first and never ask questions. Priorities. Dang world. Luck to everyone. Glad to see this place is still up and running.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Stick with it, Dan. We'll be seeing king to you soon enough.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.