Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 3/27-4/3

Author Topic: NSG 3/27-4/3
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Since no one else has done this yet, here's the Novel Support Group for the week. How did everyone do on their goals?

I did not meet my goal from last week. I did finish chapter four and start chapter five, but I didn't finish chapter five.

Next week is going to be a tough week for me, so I'm going to set modest goals:

Finish chapter five and start chapter six.

How did you do and what are your goals?

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TLBailey
Member # 8499

- posted      Profile for TLBailey   Email TLBailey         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't exactly meet my goals, but I did get work done. I moved most of what was written to past tense, and what was chapter 4 is now chapter 5. I started a new chapter 4 and had to go back add some new scenes to the end of chapter 1.

I also discovered the ending I had in mind is not the ending to this book, but maybe book two. This one is not going to get that far. But on the bright side, It is living up to the name I gave it.

TL

Posts: 72 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Baerveldt
Member # 8531

- posted      Profile for Jeff Baerveldt   Email Jeff Baerveldt         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I met my goals or not. My plan was to work on building my plot -- which I did -- and then outline my novel. But the day I started outlining, I decided to try something different: Outline as I go.

So I listed all the opening scenes I could think of -- 16 in all -- worked on them for a few days, and then started writing the first draft on Thursday. I'm 3,300 words into it so far, and it's going well.

Goal for the week ending 4/3 -- to reach the 10,000-word mark.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega
Member # 8502

- posted      Profile for Omega   Email Omega         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I met my goal. I ended up splitting chapter six in half so technically I finished it but didn't get to the point in the story that I wanted to. I was really busy all week though.

NEW GOALS: Finish the point in the story I wanted to!

Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't have any goals for the week. In fact, I did not write much at all.

This month I decided to rewrite a novel I finished 12 years ago (my first fiction writing in 10 years). As part of this rewrite, I changed the back story and detailed the character histories. This week I came to the realization the novel became another character's story to tell and not the one I've had as the main character for so long. It was difficult to let go to what has been the beginning of this novel for a very long time.

During this struggle I attempted a new Chapter One but barely got a page written. I was working on this new chapter when I noticed this thread. I'm happy to say that right now I have a nice "first 13" that I did not have yesterday. Now, I think I will be able to push forward with this new direction and new main character.

Here's to hoping.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't do good on my goals this week. I did write though, two, maybe three, thousand words on a prequel to Dragon Fate. I don't think I will finish this one, but it has been fun to live in the world before the dragons take over. Also I am writing characters that I know are going to die, so that's fun. Gives me a bit of a God complex I think.

Bwa ha ha ha!

Goals for this week; write.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I've slacked off on the collaborations and focused on my WotF entry. I'm almost done with it, and then it's back to the collaborations with a vengeance.

Sheena, I'm still getting to the manuscript you sent me (I've been pounded with projects, so haven't had much time), I haven't forgotten.

My Challenge #2 contest is the committment I won't be able to keep (sorry to those who expected a critique, but most everybody did critiques on all of them--which I hadn't expected when I offered). Since there is only three entries in my #3 challenge, I will be able to get to that.

Kevin J. Anderson offered me the opportunity to do some maps for his fantasy trilogy (I believe it's to be a trilogy), and I'm going to focus on blowing him away with them. Also, I have art to do for Deb, and this issue of FFO.

These are my goals for this next week or so.

Good luck on all of your goals.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited March 30, 2009).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
::watches while IB rides away on the famous train::
We knew him when!

So vacation one week and flu another haven't meant great productivity from me. Though I did decide this week that one of my older stories, "marbles" needs a new climax, so I've been tossing that around in my head.

But that is getting set aside for my writer's conference this week. Silly me is pitching my novel to an agent, so I have to figure out how to do that without making an idiot of myself. Look for upcoming posts for me asking for advice in various other forums.

And I'm rewriting earlier chapters, so I'll finally be sending some of those off in upcoming days. Thanks to all my reviewers who have been patient with me!

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Goals? What are these goals that you speak of? I suppose I am being productive. It all started with writing my novel, which is an expansion of my WOTF HM. But then I started writing a story within that story...you know, a legend handed down from the Le Vu Lan to her heir, and well, the story became a story which I intended on finishing for the WOTF deadline which I so perfectly missed, but hey, I have twelve stories that need to be edited and submitted, but they just file away so easy when the ADD kicks in.

Trying for a record long ranting run-on.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

Let us just say I've not been paying very close attention to my goals lately.

Metzgerhund Empire
I told myself I was going to finish up the agent query letter only. No more revisions to the story itself. Wrong. Writing the cover letter synopsis actually helped me uncover a contradiction towards the end of the story, so I'm busy going through the last three chapters to make sure I didn't miss anything else.

(mainstream novel)
This one came to an unspectacular screeching halt. The reason...I made the mistake of reopening my long-stashed-away auto racing story.

(race story)
The hand-written notes and the digital audio files for this story I've been stockpiling the past month are almost scaring me away from the transcription part of the process. If this story continues to steal enthusiasm from my mainstream story, I will rearrange my schedule and begin work on it shortly after I repair Metzgerhund Empire.

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

IB, no worries. Focus on what is actually important. I can wait for a long time, as I have no deadline.
Good luck everybody.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember what goals I made last week and I doubt that I accomplished them. I managed to get a little writing in, but then this flu struck. All I've wanted to do since then is sleep.

Goals for next week: get better, finish SS, catch up on crits.

[This message has been edited by satate (edited April 01, 2009).]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Woo Hoo! I finished the revision on Book One. Now maybe I can get back to work on Book Three.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

Meredith,

Do you have the first 13 up anywhere so that some of us newcomers may review it (unless you're not seeking readers)?

Thanks.

-- William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
Do you have the first 13 up anywhere so that some of us newcomers may review it (unless you're not seeking readers)?

The first thirteen for Book One or Book Three? They both have been up in the Fragments and Feedback for Novels topic, but they're probably pretty low on the list, now.

It's too soon for readers on Book Three. I don't want to get caught up in endlessly revising the first five chapters and never get to chapter six .

But I'll always accept another reader for Book One, which is hopefully getting close to being ready to send out. Book One (and books two and three, since it's a trilogy) is Fantasy. Approximately 100K words.

The (current) first thirteen of Book One, The Shaman's Curse:

Vatar could not contain his elation. A joyful whoop escaped his lips as he cantered away from the herd with the other two boys. They were going to get away with it! There was no reason for the herdsmen to suspect their real plans. They wouldn’t even try to stop the boys. It was ridiculous, the way the adults kept insisting that it was too dangerous. Like they were still children. This time, they were going to succeed. Torkaz returned Vatar’s grin, confident, as always, that his plan would work.

In his joy, Vatar leaned forward, urging his horse to go faster. Torkaz and Fenar recognized the challenge to a race. Soon the three boys were galloping across the open grassland.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited April 01, 2009).]

WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

quote:
The first thirteen for Book One or Book Three? They both have been up in the Fragments and Feedback for Novels topic, but they're probably pretty low on the list, now.

I saw a couple of yours there: Book three and Dreamer's Rose. I didn't know if Dreamer's Rose was the title to book one or another work.

quote:
It's too soon for readers on Book Three. I don't want to get caught up in endlessly revising the first five chapters and never get to chapter six.

Understandable. I noticed that you were only a few chapters into that book.

If you're needing another reader for book one let me know. I'm new here so don't know how all that works yet.

satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I did it! I wrote The End! I finally got to write those two little words. Oh I am so happy.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
::throws confetti::

Yaaaaaay satate!!!! Congratulations! I'm so very happy and excited for you.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
King's to you, satate! Congratulations!!!
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

That's great!
shimiqua
Member # 7760

Wootawoo! Yay satate!
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
My goals for this week are to get my query letter written up and get a good start on my list of potential agents to send it to.

And as a break from the boring stuff I figure I'll finish up the prologue (funny that I saved it until I already had the rest of the book finished and revised, but that's how it goes), and get thirteen lines into the novel fragments forum.

Then I suppose I'll browse around and see if any of the novels catch my eye and see if the author wants a critique (I'm a long way from home and nearly out of reading materials...!)

Crossing my fingers I'll have time for it all.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I have suspended all my inclinations to writing short stories spuradically, and I have spent the past few days really researching aspects of the world I am building for the "Heavens Net" Novel. I have come up with some great stuff and exponentially increased my development. I have a beeter foundation now to build from, so I am well on my way.

Next stop..."The End"

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.