next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG--4/3 - 4/9

Author Topic: NSG--4/3 - 4/9
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Guess I'll do the honors again.

How did everyone do on their goals?

I did not meet my goals. My week was worse than expected and I'm still in the middle of chapter five.

Next week should be better, so my new goals are:

FINISH chapter five already and write chapter six.

Hope at least some of you did better than I did.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Baerveldt
Member # 8531

- posted      Profile for Jeff Baerveldt   Email Jeff Baerveldt         Edit/Delete Post 
Last's week goal -- to reach the 10,000-word mark in my novel.

I achieved this goal, reaching almost 11,000 hard words, about 13,000 MS words.

This week's goal?

I'm going to change from word count to page count -- just to see how it works. I'm on page 52 of my novel. I think if I work hard, I could write 48 pages and reach page 100 by the end of next week. That's about 7 pages a day. I average from 5-6 pages a day right now, so I figure if I can squeeze in an extra 45 minutes of writing time at night I can hit the 7-page mark.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't set any goals other than to simply write something. Perhaps I should set more specific goals but after 10 years I'm just glad to be writing again.

I did finish my first chapter with my new main character. It's only in the "event draft" stage as I call it where I concentrate on getting the chain of events written (i.e. Character A goes to Town C and does X then goes over there and does that). The only fine tuning I have done is with the "first 13" or so because I wanted to at least have the hook somewhat established before moving too far.

Another reason I'm not setting specific goals is because I am "writing by Muse." I do not have these new first chapters outlined at all. Once I get to the point in the storyline where my old main character's story takes place I will have an outline to work by, which I hope will allow me move a little faster. Unfortunately, the main story plot still changes a bit so it may not be as fast as I would like once I get there.

So, currently I have finished an "event draft" of Chapter One completed (at 2,300 words) and have the first scene (my first fight scene) written for Chapter Two. If I were to set a goal it would be to finish Chapter Two. However, as I said, I only have a sketchy idea of the events that need to take place in that chapter. We'll see how it goes.

-- William

[This message has been edited by WBSchmidt (edited April 05, 2009).]

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I did good on my goals. I got better, which was an important goal. I finished SS and am now letting it sit and cool off and waiting for crits.

This week I want to start revamping my WotF entry, and finish off crits I owe.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess no one wanted to follow that considerably awesome post.
Yay Sara! Friggen awesome.

I did okay, but not great on my writing. I added two scenes in CTD though I am not loving them a huge bunch. I've found that when I write a scene that I find particularily awesome I have issue following it with a lesser scene.

So I've mostly been reading this week. I just finished Cats Cradle, by Kurt Vonegut, and am starting Slaughterhouse Five now.
He is just weirdly brilliant. I'm reading him for the first time. I'm kind of glad I waited, because I'm learning so much from him about storytelling. I'm ready for him now, and loving it.

So my goals are to keep learning and keep improving, however that looks like.

~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if anyone except the people I'm critting for have noticed that I have been taking a break. Is there anyone else who finds that writing and having a life are mutually exclusive events? My brain can't handle my character's lives and my own at the same time. I don't know how much longer I can go without writing, but it'll be at least a couple more weeks. Hopefully I'll remember how...
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

Wow. It's been a slow week.
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay...
I've made various other posts on this around the forum, but I've been requested to send a few chapters from my novel to two agents (!).

So! Anyone willing to look at the first three or five chapters (again), let me know. My writer's group suggested some big changes to chapter 2, so off I go to work on those now!

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo hoo! Send them to me. I'd love to help.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

ditto
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're not only looking for new eyes, you can send the five chapters my way.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.