Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 11/13-11/19

Author Topic: NSG 11/13-11/19
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
  • Describe what you worked on.
  • Set goals for next week.
  • Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

• Writing on a novel
  • Characterization
  • World Building
  • Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

Last Week's Goals

I actually got some work done for my last week goals. Finally. It was not much but at least I was able to get some progress made.

My goals for next week:

• Brainstorming characterization for main character
  • Develop mutually exclusive internal conflicts

This week I want to continue focusing on the characterization for my main character. I want develop some internal conflicts this week. So far I have one idea but I want to see how far I can take the conflict.

What did I learn this week?

Not much here yet either. Just glad to have made progress.

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty good week, over all.

Last Week's Goals:

Dreamer's Rose: Continue to let it rest.
Easy one.

The Shaman's Curse: Get the query and synopsis fixed and start sending this out again. Really.
Well, I've worked a little on the query. I don't honestly know yet if I've made it better or worse. It's in F&F if you want to let me know what you think.

The Ignored Prophecy: Start the revision to the first couple of chapters.
Well, technically, I've started. I haven't gotten very far, yet, though.

Blood Will Tell: Finish up the first revision. Work on the synopsis and the query.
Yep. And I've already got notes for the second revision.

This Week's Goals:

Dreamer's Rose:
Continue to let it rest. Hey, at least I know I'll achieve one of my goals.

The Shaman's Curse:
Figure out the query letter and start sending this one back out.

The Ignored Prophecy:
Revision to first five chapters. Not all of them actually need to be revised. Others will be virtually scrapped completely and rewritten. But I think it will tighten up the start a lot and get to the meat of the story sooner.

Blood Will Tell:
Let it rest a little more before starting on the second revisions. I'd like to get the second revision done and have this in the hands of one of my first readers by Thanksgiving.

Seven Stars:
Yes, apparently I don't know when enough is enough. It turns out I can't not have something new to work on, so I started this. It's an extension of a novelette, so I already pretty much have the first 6 chapters or so. I'm reworking those a bit to fit the new structure and brainstorming conflicts and plot. One of the reasons the novelette never went out of my computer was that I wasn't happy with the ending. I knew there was more to the story. It just couldn't be that easy. So, I'm going to tell the rest of the story.

Other:
I also need to work on revisions to my two short stories, Dragons Are Forever and The Seeker, so I can get them out there.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited November 13, 2009).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Last week's goals were to get to 50K in NaNo. Successful.
I'm shooting to get to 80K by Sunday.

All of my other novel work is on hold until the draft is finished, which should be done before Nov. 30th. I'm thinking 110K to 120K.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited November 13, 2009).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm starting to get it!

OSC talks somewhere about how your first draft is really just a learning experience and won't bear much resemblance to the final copy. After writing my first novel I couldn't imagine how anyone could go to that much work and then throw it out in the trash as a "learning experience". But this Nanowrimo story I'm really starting to get it. The first time through is really just an oportunity to get all my ideas down, and as I do it, I'm learning about the characters and letting the story take me down unexpected paths that might or might not go somewhere in the end.

The character I've developed by the middle of the story bears little resemblance to the one at the beginning, and so that all needs to change too.

Rather than constantly going back and rewriting, I just make myself a note and ride the story to the conclusion as though it was a galloping horse. By the time I'm done, almost everything about it needs to be changed, but I've learned some incredible things I couldn't have learned any other way. So this is not the time to worry about whether I'm showing or telling, or if the dialogue to exposition ratio is perfect. It's not even about getting the characters names perfect.

When it's done, I'll give it a few months to rest and then try it again. I think that would be the perfect time to outline it and make sure the names are right. Then I can cut and add and do all the things to make it shine.

Everyone has their own writing style, and I think I've found mine! I'm so excited about it I'm going to paste this in the Nanowrimo section too, so everyone can share my joy.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this week I moved, finished up some pressing Real World Commitments and made some decisions on the world-building for TGS. Oh, and contracted H1N1. Yippee.

Goals for next week:
1) Sleep
2) Sleep some more
3) 10K on nano

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Kitti--are you superwoman in disguise?
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

able to leap tall scratching posts in a single bound...

no, if I were really superwoman I'd have finished unpacking from the move before I came down with swine flu

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Kitti about the swine flu. Is it pretty bad? I had the regular flu last year and it was aweful.

I am not doing to well. I haven't been writing as much as I used to, so I am not meeting my goals.

Goals for next week: Write for at least an hour everyday.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm half-a-chapter into my newest novel attempt. Since I wrote it as a short story and it was a WotF HM, it just feels right expanding on it.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

@MAP. It's about par for course with regular flu - completely miserable with some debate over the ER - but these things always hit me hard. As long as I don't develop any secondary infections, I'll be a happy camper.
Pontifax
Member # 2414

- posted      Profile for Pontifax   Email Pontifax         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly missed my mark of a single chapter by a mile. I wrote about two paragraphs, decided I hated them, paced around a bit, then gave up the ghost. I sadly allowed myself to be distracted by Dragon Age this week as well, though that's done now.

So, for this week again, my goal is to start and finish the Wagner chapter!

Good luck everyone!

Posts: 36 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.