Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q02 -- Early Submissions (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q02 -- Early Submissions
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I've sent it out. Let me know if you didn't get it and you're willing to take a look at it.

Thanks to everyone for your time.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone wants me to take a peak at their story, come hit me at my blog or web page. Can't say I know everything about winning, but I might be able to give you folks a hand, if you need it. I don't do low-level line edits as much as I try to provide feedback on emotional aspects of the story -- did it grab, did it hold, did it move, etc. Can occasionally make suggestions for fixes. Will try to not be too much of a back-seat writer. (grin)
Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a very generous offer Brad, thanks.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
WARNING: I don't pull punches when I read.

DOUBLE WARNING: I am assuming anyone who sends me something, wants to win the Contest, so I slant my comments accordingly.

TRIPLE WARNING: Nothing I write is personal, and all of it is my OPINION only. If you find value in it and you think it helps you, then excellent, that's why I am offering. If you think it's rubbish and can't use it, also perfect, because all of us have to -- at some point -- learn to 'trust our instincts' and know when to push back with critique and review.

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Liberal application of BIC has finally forced my story to an end. Whew! I know I'm a bit behind this quarter, but I'll send it out for your benevolent shredding shortly....
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
What's BIC?
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

Butt-in-Chair ;-)
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I've been wishy-washy but now I'm joining for real. I've gotten my revised first draft finished and I'm going to send it out and start working on the all the crits I've recieved.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been unable to sit at my computer for a number of days. Those who've sent me stories will be getting them in the next few days.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dougsguitar
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the delay in doing the crit work... many hours of practice and several gigs are keeping me at the guitar rather than the lap-top. Should be able keep my promises, however belated, this week. I haven't written a single word in many days... ARGGGG!

gasp... I misspelled arggggh... I think... see what I mean!

[This message has been edited by dougsguitar (edited February 02, 2010).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Has everyone sent their stories out? Is there anyone still working on their first draft?
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Me. I think I may have to fall back on my backup story after all.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
recovering_cynic
Member # 8964

- posted      Profile for recovering_cynic   Email recovering_cynic         Edit/Delete Post 
How's everyone looking on the resubmit? I think I have mine mostly ready.
Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Since my first draft went out just a week ago I haven't gotten my first full round of crits back. And while I've made some adjustments based on those, I'm waiting to get all or most of them back before I go too much further into the second draft.

By the way, this is in no way a complaint. I know I sent out a big story and we all have lives and our own projects. I'm just chiming in on status.

For fun though, I wrote this to an artist friend of mine that I gave the story to:

I know you're busy, drawing and working your fingers down to bloody nubs while you come up with brilliant illustrations for your current project. But I am humbly inquiring as to whether you might have been able to grace my story with a few moments of your precious time so that you may reflect and respond to the drivel I have entreatied you to read so that you may rend it asunder. And while your response may shred my soul, leaving it like so much trash in the overflowing, putrid dumpster in a dark alley behind a delicatessan with the rotting remains of potato salad and moldy pig's feet, I look forward to hearing from you.

Kitti
Member # 7277

Lol. I have a major deadline on Monday at noon (major like, my entire income next year depends on it) but I'll get to everyone's stuff by Tuesday. Scout's honor.
BenM
Member # 8329

Mine is →║← this close to being ready for the second round.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I am still in travel status. I wont be able to get mine out or return crits until after the 15th...sorry
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ready for the second round, so anybody who hasn't read or crit my story just wait for version 2.0.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Anyone who wants to send Round 2, I'm ready to crit anytime.
recovering_cynic
Member # 8964

- posted      Profile for recovering_cynic   Email recovering_cynic         Edit/Delete Post 
For all you writing space stories, check this out:

http://williamledbetter.com/contest

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, all. This will be my first time entering the WOTF. I have a 17k (16,800 in fact) word story ready. I'm still not sure if I want to show this to anyone before I send it. A part of me is afraid someone will steal my story, the other part wants to learn all it can.

So you simply send each other your stories in e-mails? I wouldn't mind seeing someone's story to see how other people write. And I won't steal anything, I promise. Unless it's really really good.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

Martin, the chances someone will steal your story are about 0.0% because the moment you commit that story to paper -- be it pulp or electronic -- it's yours. You own it under copyright, and nobody who is serious about their own fiction is going to come along and want to "swipe" yours. Certainly I would not. Heck, I don't even have enough time in the week to write my own stories, much less browse for someone else's to "steal," so I think you can relax on that one.

Now, as for having others take a look at it, I think that's a great idea, and I would also caution you. Not everyone is going to give a critique that is useful, and you have to prepare yourself for the fact that not everyone will feel the same way about your story that you do. In fact, some may hate it. Be bored by it. Not understand it, etc. Before letting anyone have a look at it, ask yourself these questions:

1) Are you ready to be disappointed?
2) What are you hoping to get out of someone else's feedback?
3) Are you prepared to not argue?
4) I say again, are you prepared to not argue??

Because readers' reactions cannot be "wrong." I think one of the big reasons critique often fails is because the writer doesn't understand that a reader's emotional reaction to the story cannot be logical. If your story "misses" with the reader you have no chance of arguing them back around to seeing the story through your eyes. The story either scores, or it doesn't, and you have to be ready to just accept that. And either look at the story through the reader's eyes -- and maybe see where problems might be -- or stick to your original vision and discard what you've received.

BenM
Member # 8329

My self confidence is regularly crushed by critiques, even good ones (yes, I'm probably just fragile), but after a bit of reflection and/or denial I've always found the story, and my writing, both improve for it.

If you'd like to swap stories, send it through. I'm a first time wotf submitter and unpublished writer too, so we're in the same boat, I think. If there's anything you do or don't want critiqued, perhaps add that, but otherwise I'll just give the most honest feedback I can. And I'll only critique the story, not you, I promise.

One other thing to be prepared for; at 17K words it might take a little time. Work and kids and all that, you know.

Kitti
Member # 7277

@Martin

I was scared to death to send my first story out for critiques. Like biting my fingernails, stomach twisting, can't sleep at night terrified. (Gosh was that only a year ago? How time flies!)

But I did it. And then I did it again. And while taking feedback isn't easy, it wasn't as hard as I was afraid it would be. Especially on Hatrack, pretty much everyone makes sure to throw in comments on both the good and the bad.

Looking back, I almost can't believe how much getting outside critiques has improved my story-craft. Even in my absolute best stories, a fresh eye can always find something that I might want to expand, or clarify, or reconsider. If you're not ready to send it out to a whole group, even one or two people providing feedback might be a start (though I think you get more balanced critiques when you have several to look at - things multiple people comment on are more of an issue than the one outlier critique).

Okay, enough playing around on Hatrack for me. I'm now going to get to all that critiquing I haven't had time for over the weekend. Expect stuff incoming over the next day or so.

genevive42
Member # 8714

MartinV, I'd be happy to take a look. Send it on over. I'll be thorough but gentle. I think I'm usually pretty good at explaining the reasons behind my comments. For me, it always helps to understand the 'why' of the problem. Then it's easier to decide if you agree with it.

I'll send you my second draft in a week or so when it's ready. I wouldn't mind having a fresh set of eyes on it for the second round.

MartinV
Member # 5512

quote:
Martin, the chances someone will steal your story are about 0.0%

I know. It's a very old kind of paranoia, that's all. I can control it now.

quote:
Not everyone is going to give a critique that is useful, and you have to prepare yourself for the fact that not everyone will feel the same way about your story that you do. In fact, some may hate it. Be bored by it. Not understand it, etc.

I am well aware of that. I have posted stories before in forums and some people couldn't understand them. I believe I can take a critique with courtesy.

quote:
I'd be happy to take a look. Send it on over.

Any particular format and font? I have it in doc as I write in Microsoft Word. I usually write it in Times New Roman, size 12, with single spacing but I also have it in Standard Manuscript Format if that makes it easier to read.

Also, I don't have to send it whole. First few pages, for example.

[This message has been edited by MartinV (edited February 08, 2010).]

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

It would be nice if it were double spaced. And .doc or .rtf are the best formats. .rtf is supposed to be pretty universal.

I'd rather see the whole thing. Send it on through.

recovering_cynic
Member # 8964

You might as well forward it to the whole group, everyone who's participating. Scroll up to see the list.
MartinV
Member # 5512

Then I guess I should also do this:

WriterDan
Owasm
Arriki
Dark Warrior
Teraen
BenM
Kitti
dougsguitar
ScardeyDog
genevive42
recovering_cynic
shimiqua
Brendan
MartinV

Story sent to everyone on the list. Except me, of course.

[This message has been edited by MartinV (edited February 08, 2010).]

WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,

Sorry I haven't been around for a bit. Got the flu bug for a week, and now fighting a sinus infection on the back end. Dumb bugs. I've mostly just done re-thinking about my story for this quarter, but have decided that I need to change quite a bit. As such, I don't want to hold people back, and I know that there are others in the group that are a bit behind the scheduled timeline as well (not to mention the fact that this group is getting a bit large for all intents and purposes) so I'm going to bail and give a late start to the "Regular Timeline Group" that we normally have on this forum. That should make the group sizes a bit more manageable for crit swapping and also allow for a greater range of "finishedness" in each group's members. lol. That ain't a word and don't I know it. Anyhow, I'll do crits on all the stories that I've received thus far from this group, but I'm going to bail to the other group now (and I'd appreciate a little company there, if anyone else is interested. )

So, the new member list for this group is:

Owasm
Arriki
Dark Warrior
Teraen
BenM
Kitti
dougsguitar
ScardeyDog
genevive42
recovering_cynic
shimiqua
Brendan
Christopher
Satate
MartinV

If you plan on bailing to the Regular Timeline Group with me, please repost the current list with your name removed from it. That way, everyone knows what's happening.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

I'm clueless and confused. If I send to someone in the wrong group or something, let me know.
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll follow you. Been seriously sick and not out of the woods yet.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
I just sent out my story to you guys.

If anyone still needs their story read by some fresh eyes, send it my way.

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

I have been getting some great crits and very helpful ideas on how to improve my story.

I want to send out a big THANKS to everyone.

Realistically my second draft will go out in about two weeks though I'm trying for sooner. I have never dug so deep to perfect a story. This is a great learning experience!

dougsguitar
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Hey folks I hate to do this but I gotta take a short break from all this, short as in a coupla weeks. All manner of activity is going on around here that takes every minute to contain... kinda like herding cats through a dog-kennel. Please do not wait on my responses to your stories to continue the revision process. I will continue to read and comment when time allows and will return as soon as things calm down a bit. FYI - one of those situations is actually my daughter getting married (shudders, drools a little, stares at the wall for a few moments... blinks rapidly while shaking head...) ahem... so anyway, I think you all get the picture. Peace! Good writing! and... see you in the funny papers! Doug
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Updated member list:

Owasm
Dark Warrior
Teraen
BenM
ScardeyDog
genevive42
recovering_cynic
shimiqua
Brendan
Christopher
MartinV

Dougsguitar: When you're back around, add your name to the list again. This way we can avoid any confusion.

Members taken off the list here have joined the Regular Timeline group, which has deadlines that have been moved back one month to allow for more time this quarter.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I am back home from my travels and lockdown in the hotel after Philadelphia was completely shut down from the snow storms...kids were even sledding down the closed off highway on ramps...and I look forward to getting back into the game, critting everyones fine efforts they have sent me, and taking a look at mine once again.

It feels good to be back.

Donavan

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

Welcome back. I really have to stop slacking and get back to editing mine. If anyone sent me a story and I've not returned a critique yet, please let me know.
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Woohoo...back at it.

I am currently working on crits for

WriterDan
BenM

and working in order of the stories sent to me. I hope to burn through a lot of them this weekend.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

7 down, 3 to go

WriterDan
Satate
Scaredy
Sheena
BenM
Genevive
Kitti

your crits are in the mail.

I am excited by the number of entries this quarter. I am still hoping for a Hatrack sweep

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited March 01, 2010).]

genevive42
Member # 8714

Dark Warrior, if I'm on your list you can skip my story. I've finished the second draft. I'd be happy to send it to you but you seem to have a lot on your plate and I don't want to add to it.
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

No, please send the 2nd draft when it is ready.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Send your second draft to me too, Genevive. You're still on my list. Getting there slowly but surely.
MartinV
Member # 5512

I only got three stories to review so send here as well.
genevive42
Member # 8714

I've sent it out to you three gentlemen and a few others. I thought I heard the dog barking so you might want to go check the mailbox.
genevive42
Member # 8714

I've posted a topic in Open Discussions called, "Said-Yelled-Whispered" that relates to what we're doing here. I'd love for anyone interested to have a look and give some input.

Thanks.

Here's the link: http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/006083.html

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Genevieve...just a status update. I am about 50% through your crit.
genevive42
Member # 8714

Let me start by saying that I really appreciate this critique group. Everyone has made comments and suggestions that have been valuable in reworking my story.

My question to everyone is: Have most of the crits you've been receiving been falling in a close range of comments or across the spectrum?

Personally, I've been getting comments across the spectrum. Of course some points, the ones that need the most fixing, have come up consistently. But the general reception to my story has been highly varied. I don't see this as good or bad, just interesting.

So without getting specific, I'm just wondering what your experience has been.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Kitti
Martin
Cynic
Christopher
Brendan

Your crits are next...should I get to them as is or do you have 2nd drafts to look at?

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.