Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q02 -- Regular Timeline Submissions

Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q02 -- Regular Timeline Submissions
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a critique group for writers that will be entering a story into the second quarter of 2010 in the Writers of the Future contest (27th year).

Anyone is welcome to join. If you do though, please follow the directions for such. Currently, the group consists of me:

WriterDan

If you want to join the group for this quarter, please re-post the current names list in a reply and then add your name to the bottom.

Tentative deadlines for this quarter are as follows:

Jan 1st: Start writing
Feb 14th: First drafts out for crits
Mar 7th: Second drafts out for crits
Mar 31st: Mail in final drafts

When you send out drafts for critique, please do so in a generic format so that everyone will be able to open your file. (eg. rtf, txt. Pdf is okay too, but won't allow for in-text comments. doc is usually okay too, but you may get asked to resend in a generic format) Also, please try keep to proper manuscript format (see link below) so that we can all learn how these things should be correctly submitted. Last, we swap stories via email with addresses listed in the forum. So, be sure to keep your email address current on your profile here at Hatrack.

Finally, (and I know that for some of you this will go without saying) if you sign up to swap stories and/or give critiques please give a full critique of the full story. Don't bail on a story because it just "isn't for you". If there is too much violence/profanity/sex in a story, you have the right to stop reading, make a comment saying as much, and return the story to the author unfinished (this is what the Wotf judges will do, after all). Otherwise, please be respectful of the unspoken agreement that we each make to give a full, valid critique to every member of the group that submits a story. Thanks.

So sign up now, and let's get busy writing!

Helpful links:

WotF Submission Guidelines
WotF Blog
WotF Newsgroup (First Judge Kathy Wentworth's regular updates)
Kathy Wentworth comments about judging
Short story advice from David Wolverton
Manuscript Preparation by Vonda N. McIntyre

[This message has been edited by WriterDan (edited March 04, 2010).]

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
add me. arriki
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Looking at the long list of people lining up for critiques over in the other WOTF topic, I despair. It's too many for me to give adequate time to. Could we consider splitting the WOTF list when it gets this long? Especially when there are so many new writers many of whom need more help? Put some of the old hands in each group and then half the newbies?
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

I was hoping that creating this other group would allow for some of that. Two birds with one stone, yeah? Doesn't look hopeful though. Maybe we'll put off the Regular Timeline group until next quarter and focus on splitting the Early Submissions group into two smaller ones. Worry not so much about timing, as number of people. I'll give it till next Monday, and if we don't start to see some splitting of the group we'll take the other route. Good call.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to join this group. I definetly need more time.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I might jump ship and join y'all.
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Question: what was wrong with the previous thread?
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

Nothing wrong - just a different set of internal deadlines. The other group is for people who are a bit ahead of the game. Notice here that the first drafts are only due out this week, as opposed to the second drafts in the other group.
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

New member list for this group:

WriterDan
Arriki
Satate
Kitti

Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like I'll be joining this group after all. Just before Dan started this "Regular Timetable" group I joined the other one. But I just barely sent everyone in the early group my story day-before-yesterday. So, because it is basically a first reading for me, I guess I'm in this group.

NOTE: anyone from the early group who still needs their story read (and sees this here), send it my way--and feel free to read mine too if you will. Thanks.

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Newest member list for this group:

WriterDan
Arriki
Satate
Kitti
Christopher

WriterDan
Member # 6456

So how the stories coming, people?

We have about a week left before the deadline for second draft crits. I'm pretty much in the same place, but I need to get some good writing done for my local critique group this Thursday. So, that should put some fire under my booty (Sorry, I played a new board game about pirates last night, and now I can't seem to get away from piratical references...).

Consider this a wake-up call!

Kitti
Member # 7277

I'm almost done beating my draft into submission. It should come out in the next couple of days. A week tops.
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Kitti, just finished your read. When I polish up the crit I will send it out to you...probably tonight.

Edit: Your crit is in the mail Kitti

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited March 01, 2010).]

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunshine
Member # 3701

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason I'm not reading the WOTF website very well today. When is the next submittal deadline? I've never submitted to this (or anything else) before and I'm thinking that I will start.
Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

Ughh! I'm having a hard time taming my story. I hope to have it controlled and able to send out by March 15th. If I can just get a few time slots of work in on it.

Also, DW, I'm still working on your crit. I haven't forgotten you.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Satate, I am sure your red pen is getting plenty of work on it

Edit: Grrr...too many WOTF groups...I thought I was putting my name in for Q03.

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited March 02, 2010).]

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

LOL.

Sorry, DW. It does get a little hairy around this time--deadline for responses from WotF for last quarter, entry deadline for the current quarter approaching, and the early submission group for the next quarter--all at once. Hope it doesn't cause you too much stress.

Sunshine -- The deadlines are listed in the first post of this discussion. March 31st for this quarter. We have two separate groups at Hatrack--one that tries to turn in stuff on time, and another that tries to get entries off early--for each quarter. The next critique deadline for this group (Mar 7th) is for second-round drafts but you are more than welcome to join in on the fun. If you decide to join in, repost the most recent "Current Members" list with your name added to the bottom. Luck!

arriki
Member # 3079

I'm ready for sending mine story out. Who's on the list here?
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Newest member list for this group:

WriterDan
Arriki
Satate
Kitti
Christopher

and maybe Sunshine (Yes? No?)

arriki
Member # 3079

Writer Dan, satate, Kitti, and Christopher - copies of GHOSTS FROM THE VOID are on their way to you. And, Sunshine? You in or out?
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Arriki...how long is yours? I really want to offer my read to you but with three crits in queue before you and all of them being near 17k I worry that I wouldnt get it finished in time to be of service.
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
arriki, I'm in the early Q02group and the Q03 group but if you need another reader send it my way. I'm a little in between things right now and I only have one crit ahead of you.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Looks like Ghosts from the Void is just under 11k words, DW.
arriki
Member # 3079

Since email postage is so reasonable, I'll go head and send copies on.

Dark Warrior -- thanks for offering. I know I'm sitting on your story right now. Been sick lately and barely able to work on my own. I'll get to it. Promise.

Genevive42 -- thanks to you, too.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Arriki: Looks like Sunshine bailed to the Q03 group to allow for a little more time before deadline.

Current Members List:

WriterDan
Arriki
Satate
Kitti
Christopher

Sunshine
Member # 3701

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got no story ready at this point so I'll do the third qrtr.

If there aren't enough readers I would be happy to offer assistance.

Thanks!

Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Sent off my second draft. Hopefully it's a little more clear this time around. If anyone else wants a go at it, let me know.
satate
Member # 8082

I think I'm going to jump ship and submit in Q03. I just haven't had the time I need to bring the story to where I want it. I'll still crit anyone who needs it. I have two still that I'm getting to, from Arriki and Writer Dan. I should be able to get to them this week, sorry for the wait.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

No worries, Satate. I'm in no rush. I'm a little over halfway done with your crit, Arriki. Should be able to push it off soon. Luck, everyone.

Current Member List:
WriterDan
Arriki
Kitti
Christopher

Critting Only:
Satate
Sunshine

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.