Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 8/20 - 8/26

Author Topic: NSG 8/20 - 8/26
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Feel free to update the NSG Work in Progress thread with your current projects. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
  • Describe what you worked on.
  • Set goals for next week.
  • Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

• Writing on a novel
  • Characterization
  • World Building
  • Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

Last Week's Goals

I did not do anything this week. I got a severe kick in the head by Life's Distractions. Very bad week.

My goals for next week:

• Organize scenes
  • Improve scene details

Same as last week if I can.

What did I learn this week?

Nothing here. Bad week.

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE: Work on chapter exchange revisions as they come.
Close. I'm one behind, but I'm planning to work on that this weekend.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE: Let it rest for a while longer.
Such an easy goal.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY: I really need to find a way to work in better explanations of the world and the characters.
This is what I've been working on. I'm almost done with the first segment. Then I'll look for a reader or two to tell me how I did.

BLOOD WILL TELL: Send two new queries out.
Only one.

MAGE STORM: Let this sit for a short while before going back for the second draft.
Another easy goal.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Work on a couple of short story possibilities.
Yes to the blog. No to the short stories.

Next Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE: Work on chapter exchange revisions as they come. Continue to think about how I would change this to YA, if that's what I decide to do with it.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE:
Let it rest for a while longer. When I've finished the chapter exchanges on its sequel, I'll take another look at it.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY:
Continue revisions to work in better explanations of the world and the characters, among other things. I cut down and combined the first two chapters and I like that beginning much better.

BLOOD WILL TELL: Send two new queries out.

MAGE STORM: Once I've got that first segment of THE IGNORED PROPHECY DONE, it's time to get back to work on this for the second draft.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Wait for word on any one of the four short stories I currently have out.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
GHOST AND THE NETHER - Gave to my first readers last Sunday. Waiting for feedback.

Short stories - working on one (Animorphosis) while editing two others (Demons and Cageless Zoo).

Slowly doing research for my alt-history novel and got a few rejections for my sci-fi novel The Digital Sea.

Onward, upward, faster, farther!

Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Another chaotic week down. Still recovering from the ol' girlfriend loss. Had to get back to my real world job of art and design, and one of my bosses is making my life miserable as always this is why I took time off in the first place -- they did the ol' trick of beg for me back and then wait till I get two feet in the door before ripping me to shreds. I can't wait to be 100% my own boss. Which is very close but not yet.

The Unbeliever's Realm: As I was afraid 'Seeds' gobbled up all my focus for now.

The Seeds of Persephone: Is in full swing. I just sent out the prelude story - How to kill a god - which is my Wotf possible to a bunch of hatracker's. I'm a little nervous about it because it was meant to be the prelude to 'Seeds' and was originally going to be part of the book, but it was such a crazy concept - that I thought - I wonder if this can stand alone, and now I'm not sure. But I have most of the outline done for 'Seeds' so I got sucked right into it and am almost through chapter one, and it's already gone places the average book would never go. So I'm biting my fingernails at the same time as writing it. History and myth is certainly full of some CCCRAAAZZZYY stuff. Some of the research was like (Scratch head) "Should I use this??? Ah, what the heck, throw it in and make a nice pot of devil soup!"
Hopefully I won't be excommunicated for it, not that I'm religious anyways.

The Unnormal Lot: Took a funny turn. I was joking around about it with some artist friends over drinks, and they said they liked it and told me to write it up as a comic book script, and they would do the art. So I'll have to wait and see where thats really going.

Other than that- write, write, write.
and try and stay away from to much TV.

W.

Add on: Got some crits back on 'How to kill a god' - doesn't work as I was a fraid of - to much info not enough story - but the good thing is - I figured out a way cannibalize small parts of it to use for 'Seeds' and in a more entertaining fashion.

Add on: new goal of the week: New story for WotF.

[This message has been edited by walexander (edited August 21, 2010).]

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissa
Member # 9206

- posted      Profile for Lissa   Email Lissa         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello; I'm new here.

After reading through many of the posts on this site last week, I didn't write a single thing! I suddenly felt very naive and amateurish. As mentioned in my intro, I am on my very first novel and have decided to finish it or die trying! It is SF and I believe in it. I have yet to title it. After some encouragement from the group on my "low level of expertise," I am taking a big breath and diving back in.

Lis

Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Welcome Lis.

That you believe in it is the main thing.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, I might have cheated last week and cut-and-paste 4K from the novelette and dumped it right into the novel draft. But I did write 2K on my own, too!

Goals for this week:
1) Another 1K
2) Work through cut-and-pasted sections and note all the things I need to update
3) Update them!

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
Another one of those weeks. However, any time your week includes an ER trip (for husband, not me, but still) I think you deserve a pass on most things. I did finish my WOTF draft, so while waiting for crits, I have a bit more time. I am going to try to just focus on my editing for September since it would be nice to be as up to date on that as possible before baby born. With preschool, hopefully I'll be able to focus a bit better and no other disasters. Of course, I am also supposed to finish curtains for the nursery, the quilt for my preschooler that we have been doing together and some other random stuff.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

I just finished the revisions to the first segment (eight chapters, approximately 21K words) of THE IGNORED PROPHECY.

I really need somebody who doesn't know anything about either story (TIP or its predecessor THE SHAMAN'S CURSE) to take a look at it and let me know if I've done a good enough job of reintroducing the milieu and continuing characters, as well as enough, but not too much, background on how they got where they are now, without making intrusive info dumps or slowing the story down too much.

Any takers? I'll gladly read an equivalent segment of your WIP or other story in exchange.

thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
I can read it for you Meredith. Send it along when you're ready.
Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
you can send it to me also M. I haven't read any of your earlier stuff.

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Count me in too. I fit your requirements.
I'd be honored to read your work.

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Lissa. Don't worry about not having written anything. I had a very bad week last week and did not get any writing done. I did accomplish other things but having to pay $400 dollars to fix a refrigerator on one's anniversary does make a bad day.

I did get 1,000 words written last night though. Not bad for an hour and a half. I just need to get into the habit every day. That's the trick.

--William.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.