Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 9/3 - 9/9

Author Topic: NSG 9/3 - 9/9
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Feel free to update the NSG Work in Progress thread with your current projects. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
  • Describe what you worked on.
  • Set goals for next week.
  • Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

• Writing on a novel
  • Characterization
  • World Building
  • Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

Last Week's Goals

Last week I had to catch up on this project at work so I have not had much time to think about working on my outline. I got some things done but not much.

My goals for next week:

• Organize scenes
  • Improve scene details

I'm looking forward to this long weekend and hope that I can finally make some time to work on this outline of mine. I have some adjustments to do because I decided to increase the number of viewpoints to five. Not good. I think that would have created a mess, especially since those viewpoints would have been introduced early in the novel. It would have been too confusing.

What did I learn this week?

Take things small at first. Five viewpoints is too many for my current skills. I think I will stick with my original number.

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE: Work on chapter exchange revisions as they come.
Yes, except for the one that came back yesterday.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE: Let it rest for a while longer.
Such an easy goal. I always seem to achieve this one.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY: Continue revisions.
No. I actually haven't done much on this one this week.

BLOOD WILL TELL: Send two new queries out.
Only one and I already got the rejection.

MAGE STORM: Work on the second draft of this. Get to chapter 10.
Yes. In fact, I'm on chapter 14.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Wait for word on any one of the three short stories I currently have out. Revise the fourth and get it back out.
Yes to all.

Next Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE:
Work on chapter exchange revisions as they come. Continue to think about how I would change this to YA, if that's what I decide to do with it.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE:
Let it rest for a while longer. When I've finished the revisions on its sequel, I'll take another look at it.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY:
Continue revisions.

BLOOD WILL TELL:
Send two new queries out.

MAGE STORM:
The second draft of this is going to be my main focus again this week. If I do as well as I have been so far, I should be able to get to chapter 18.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Wait for word on any one of the four short stories I currently have out.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
PREVIOUS WEEK
"Metzgerhund Empire" (YA): My attempt to make my MC's actions and thoughts more consistent led me to the conclusion that chapter seven (the final chapter) required more than just a few minor tweaks. I am almost done!!!...but, unfortunately, I missed my self-imposed deadline of August 31. Sometimes, having a life gets in the way.

Mainstream novel: I didn't touch this at all.

"Agents of the Fourth Wind" (SF): I've not done much actual work on this story since the synopsis challenge ended, but I added a few additional thoughts to my digital audio recording collection.

UPCOMING WEEK
"Metzgerhund Empire" (YA): Complete the last few scenes of the last chapter, and rewrite the agent query letter.

Mainstream novel: Continue writing. Or, in the case of last week, resume writing.

"Agents of the Fourth Wind" (SF): I doubt I'll do much work on this one until the YA novel is out the door.

BLOGGATHAH
I've jotted down a few ideas, but I've not posted anything new since last week.

NOTES
During this time, I am also working on three SF short stories: one is an overhaul from a story I mistakenly left of my shelf for way too long, the second is brand new, and the third is a sequel-of-sorts of a story I ditched a year ago because I no longer liked it.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimlin
Member # 9239

- posted      Profile for Kimlin   Email Kimlin         Edit/Delete Post 
I tagged on to the tail end of last week lol I am currently working on getting my first novel ready to send to agents. My second is part way through it's first draft and my third is in plotline form. I am now having a dilemma about whether or not to combine my next three stories and make a trilogy in one book rather than three books.

Anyway for next week:

Someone Else's Life:
Get a query and synopsis ready - this weeks main goal

What About Us
Restart from the beginning and try to write three chapters

Bad Romance

Finish the first chapter

Please Remember Me

Develop the plot

[This message has been edited by Kimlin (edited September 03, 2010).]

Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote some background information for my re-draft on Motes and Meddles. I need to write some more and put more structure into the 'bad guy' environment.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

Welcome to the group, Kimlin.

-- William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimlin
Member # 9239

- posted      Profile for Kimlin   Email Kimlin         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks any advice on how to stop writing lol? I only started in February could do with cooling it a bit
Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Goals for next week:

1) Finish revisions on latest WotF entry
2) Write the cover letter for my job applications
3) Re-write the cover letter for my job applications until the Advisorly One is satisfied
4) More revisions on Mudlarks

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
I took a break this last week and went to the beach for some sun before it's gone. I almost brought my laptop with me, but am glad now I didn't. Though I feel like I'm behind now for some reason which is silly since I set my own deadlines. Tried not to think to much and just relax. One thing that is really weird about being so intensive about writing is now I'm constantly correcting my own grammar in e-mails and message boards which feels just to weird. I'm typing this out going--Wait does that sentence really need that comma?

Goal for next week: Pick a story and get back to writing.

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
walexander- since I have been taking writing more seriously, I have found myself focusing a bit more on grammar. Not a lot, but a bit more. I figure this is good since it will hopefully help in the editing.

Right now just keeping up with chapter exchange and working on WOTF. Hoping to get that done this week, then I will do some more specific goals on novel I think.

Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

@Kimlin

Advice on how to stop writing? I wish I had that problem.

PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are the things I'd like to do.

Last weeks goals.
* Dug up all my old ideas from actual notes I had as a youth.
* Researched time travel issues I might come across for a story.
* Decide which story ideas I want to continue.
* Learned more about how to critique.

Next weeks goals.
* Working on 'Born Before'.
* Definitely need to work on character development for these characters.
* Research world building for a future project.

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.