Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 11/19 - 11/25

Author Topic: NSG 11/19 - 11/25
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Feel free to update the NSG Work in Progress thread with your current projects. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
  • Describe what you worked on.
  • Set goals for next week.
  • Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

• Writing on a novel
  • Characterization
  • World Building
  • Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

Last Week's Goals

I still have not gotten any writing done lately. No excuse really.

My goals for next week:

• Improve scene details
  • Write detailed scenes

I will continue to try to get some writing done.

What did I learn this week?

Once again, just keep moving.

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Finished my NaNo novel (Tower of Secrets). (Now 75K plus words as of 11/20) I started the first edit and plan to have that finished by the end of November. (Update: Maybe by Thanksgiving)

My Bellia novel will be out for review in December unless my edit on Tower of Secrets comes out better than expected, then I'll put that out to review as I think it's a better market fit.

Considering converting my Panix novel to YA. I'll make that decision in the coming week.

Longer term, it's time to start thinking about a real series. The above have trilogy opportunities, but I'd like to sketch out a different format with the potential for more of an episodic series.

Funny. Reading through how everyone writes, I don't write in chapters. I write in scenes, just realized that. However I do outline, but, again, on a scene basis. Chapters get put in as a last step and at logical places where hooks are.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited November 21, 2010).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE: Continue to let this one rest.
Easy goal.

BLOOD WILL TELL: Wait for the critiques of the first three chapters to come back so I can make a decision on whether it really should be YA.
Easy goal, but I'm starting to get a little antsy.

MAGE STORM: Continue the revisions for the third draft. Get to chapter 11.
YES.

SEVEN STARS: Rework chapter one. Do a little on chapter two.
Well, I've done some on chapter one.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
A whole bunch of critiques.
Yes to both.

Next Week's Goals:

On the Shelf
THE SHAMAN'S CURSE
THE IGNORED PROPHECY

DREAMER'S ROSE:
Continue to let this one rest while I contemplate what almost amounts to a rewrite. I'm unlikely to get back to this one before next year, since I am now focusing on MAGE STORM.

BLOOD WILL TELL:
Wait for the critiques of the first three chapters to come back so I can make a decision on whether it really should be YA. So far, the one critique that's come back agrees that it should be YA.

MAGE STORM:
Coomplete the revisions for the third draft.

SEVEN STARS:
Finish reworking chapter one. Do a little on chapter two

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Start revisions on my WotF story.
A whole bunch of critiques.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited November 19, 2010).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
The last couple days I have been getting in some good writing time. I didn't make a goal last week. I forgot because I was too excited about making my goal the week before.

I did do a quick edit on Chapter three and chapter four is almost complete.

This week my goal is to finish up chapter four. It's not a big goal since it's almost finished but next week is thanksgiving week and I'll be busy. If I have time I want to give it a quick edit also.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
I put the breaks on everything this last week. I started to realize how important outlining is, and started to focus on how to do it well. I have a lot of good concepts. I do pretty good research, but then I jump to writing and get lost.

I realized I was missing an important step - Outlining.

Without outlining - It's like having no road map - your just driving all over the place trying to find some end destination.

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished Chapter 4 and am partway into Chapter 5 of Sandfishing. My brain has been working on a lot of little details that will hopefully flesh out the story some.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't quite meet my goals this week. I integrated my notes into my outline, but it turned out to be a bigger job than I expected, so it looks like I'll be typing them up this week instead.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

I did a bit more than 10,600 words on "Bright Lights and Chaos".

No world building or research even though I did spend some time tiding up my Bright Lights folder. I work on it both on my laptop and desk computer. So each night I transfer the file I worked on that day on my laptop to my desk computer. I had three different files that made up Ch 1 and six files for Ch 4. I copied and pasted every loose file onto the correct chapter. Even revised a few sentences, added a word or ten, fixed a few nitpicks in the process.

That's it when it came to the novels.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

A PS

I didn't have any set goals this week so I guess I hit the target.

You aim at nothing and that is what you hit.

I do have some general goals mostly involving something simple like write every day. At work, at home early evening and later at late evening. Sometimes, like tonight, I blow the late evening writing goal.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Another PS

Decided I had a goal this week.

To finish "Bright Lights and Chaos" by Sunday night. MY MC has almost figured out where she has to go to rescue a bunch of children before they get changed and maybe worse...not sure if I want to go there though. But first she still has a meeting with her almost boy friend. He hasn't called since they were attacked by hell dogs, elves and rats etc.. Three to five days ago. He does and a man answers the phone early in the morning. It's her new house servant but he doesn't know that.

That will take up a few thousand words so I'm going to have to rush through her big fight.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.