Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 12/31/10 - 1/6/11

Author Topic: NSG 12/31/10 - 1/6/11
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Since it's a holiday weekend and no one's done the honors yet, I will.
quote:
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Feel free to update the NSG Work in Progress thread with your current projects. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
Describe what you worked on.
Set goals for next week.
Did you learn something during this week?
Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

Writing on a novel
Characterization
World Building
Relevant research
=-=-=-=-=

For myself:

Next Week's Goals:

On the Shelf:
THE SHAMAN'S CURSE
THE IGNORED PROPHECY
BLOOD WILL TELL

DREAMER'S ROSE: Continue the rewrite.
Yes. Slow, but yes.

MAGE STORM: Continue polishing the synopsis and the query letter.
Yes. I'm also doing a final polishing edit, which includes a few more revisions than usual.

SEVEN STARS: Continue basic plotting.
A little bit. Some tidbits of action, but nothing close to ready to start writing, yet.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Yes.

Next Week's Goals:

On the Shelf:
THE SHAMAN'S CURSE
THE IGNORED PROPHECY
BLOOD WILL TELL
THE SHAMAN'S CURSE and BLOOD WILL TELL are likely to come back off the shelf soon. But, for now, they're going to rest a little.

DREAMER'S ROSE:
Continue the rewrite.

MAGE STORM:
Continue polishing the synopsis and the query letter. This one starts going out in a week or two.

SEVEN STARS:
Continue working out the idea until it's ready.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
T.H.C.
SF Thriller

Goals Last Week

* Finish 2nd sequence. Done
* As a word goal write an additional 15000 words. Only wrote 5000
* Develop Plot depth

Goals This Week

* Begin 3rd sequence.
* Develop Plot depth

I will also be researching my WOTF entry

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't write at all last month but this week I'm going to get started again.

So this week my goal is to finish the rewrite of chapter one and get started on chapter five.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. N. Khoury
Member # 9361

- posted      Profile for J. N. Khoury   Email J. N. Khoury         Edit/Delete Post 
Where I am now: recently completed 110,000 words ms, ready to prepare it for submission to agents.

Goals last week:
buy Writer's Market (done)
send ms to readers for critique (done)
create website/blog about book (done)

Goals for this week:
assemble list of appropriate agents
flesh out sequels to book
try not to come back to the book itself until two more weeks, so as to approach it as objectively as possible for last-chance revisions

Posts: 74 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaoArtGuy
Member # 8857

- posted      Profile for TaoArtGuy   Email TaoArtGuy         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi folks,
I've been around the forums a tiny bit, but not for a while. I let myself drift into too many things about writing instead of actually writing. 8) Well, I got past that. Valda and the Valkyries, my WIP, is at 71k of a probable 90k and I'm breaking the self-imposed moratorium. Not ready to share the work yet, but just wanting to share the struggles.

Goals this week:
5k words
Finish the Great Library scene

Kind regards,
Mark

Posts: 67 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

I wrote on Three novels.

I didn't really have any goals last week, that I can recall anyway.

But I started an added scene for "Bright Lights and Chaos". In this one my MC has to rescue some children who are too scared to move from a building falling down around them. Lots of crushes and thumps. I'm over 70.000 words and on my way to 75 to 80 thousand. Be hard to get to 85 though.

I'm in a slow scene for "New Mage On The Block" Again in the middle of the night she felt a very powerful being near her place but when she looks again all she sees is a guy walking his medium sized dog. She also spotted a bird flying toward her place and wondered if it was a mini dragon...she's never seen a dragon but heard they are very powerful. She has figured a clue to what the bad guy is up to even though she doesn't know yet there is a bad guy. Various low powered Mages and pre-mages are getting sick and/or weak. She thinks it could be some type of disguised spell or Trick, kinda like a computer virus. I started chapter five and seem to be over a third of the way through. At least with the word count.

I have worked on "Storm Born" also My MC is still trying to figure out where the bad wizard is going to try to call the Lightning demi-god into our world. MY MC is out of ideas. Tried to talk to an ex girlfriend who is a cop but he got half drunk and she had to drive him home. On the way across his pouch he tripped and fell on her. She accused him of trying to kiss her because of how he landed. Later his newly ex-fiance will accuse him of the same thing therefore being a hypocrite but she will end up believing him. Right now he is in the middle of a wizard made thunder storm. Even though it wasn't sent for him, it is hanging out over his house. The wizard made lightning seems to like him but they will be getting too friendly.

Am around 45 to 50,000 words along with this one. I think I have enough ideas for 66 to 75,000 words. I might be able to come up with one or two more chapters but as of right now 84 thousand is stretching it a lot. But we shall see.

My goals for next week is to finish the Collapsing building scene, and to get at least a quarter of the way through a revision. For Bright Lights that is.

I would like to add a danger scene to New Mage and maybe get to, if not finish, another danger scene with Kyle from Storm. This one is where he is hit by a magic booby trap that makes him think he is fighting for his life after being sent to another dimension

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.