Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 7/8 - 7/14

Author Topic: NSG 7/8 - 7/14
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Feel free to update the NSG Work in Progress thread with your current projects. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
  • Describe what you worked on.
  • Set goals for next week.
  • Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

• Writing on a novel
  • Characterization
  • World Building
  • Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

Last Week's Goals

The new project still continues. Going well; picking up speed.

My goals for next week:

[list]

• Read/list]

I've done more reading, but I still need to take more time for that than I have been.

What did I learn this week?

Nothing here.

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  • Meredith
    Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
    Last Week's Goals:

MAGE STORM: Get started on those revisions.
    Yep.

SEVEN STARS: Get it to first readers and wait.
    Yes again.

BLOOD WILL TELL: Finish up the revisions.
    Yes.

OTHER:
    Update my blog twice a week.
    Yes. Looks like it was a pretty good week.

Next Week's Goals:

On the Shelf:
    THE SHAMAN'S CURSE
    THE IGNORED PROPHECY
    DREAMER'S ROSE:

MAGE STORM:
    Keep on with the revisions.

SEVEN STARS:
    Wait.

BLOOD WILL TELL:
    Start drafting a new query letter and look over the synopsis.

OTHER:
    Update my blog twice a week.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    MDBHarlan
    Member # 9557

- posted      Profile for MDBHarlan   Email MDBHarlan         Edit/Delete Post 
    Who do you use for first readers? I have been using husband and rest of fam but everyone is getting too busy for it.
    Posts: 55 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Meredith
    Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
    quote:
    Who do you use for first readers? I have been using husband and rest of fam but everyone is getting too busy for it.

In this case, it's another writer's group to which I belong. My group on that site focuses on YA and also allows submission of a full novel for volunteers twice a year. I've got five readers.

Other times, and probably in this case for my second batch of readers, I'll ask for a chapter exchange here. Might take a couple of weeks, but you can usually find someone with a story in a similar state of completion to exchange with you.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited July 08, 2011).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    axeminister
    Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
    I'm back in serial killer world this week. I've managed to eek out five pages. I'm so close to the downhill slide to Endsville I can taste it, but I'm trudging through mud.

I really wish I had a WotF entry for this quarter tho. It's hard to do the novel thing and the contest thing at the same time. Well, with limited time I should say.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    EmilyS
    Member # 9447

- posted      Profile for EmilyS   Email EmilyS         Edit/Delete Post 
    Last Week:

Revise 5 scenes and cut word count
    9 scenes.
    Word count down to 121,375 (from 122,716. For anyone keeping track, that's a different number than I quoted last week. Turns out scrivener randomly decided not to count 471 words last week, and just gave them back yesterday. Very disappointing. )

Next Week:

Revise 3 scenes and continue to cut word count (aim for 120k).

Posts: 125 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    MDBHarlan
    Member # 9557

- posted      Profile for MDBHarlan   Email MDBHarlan         Edit/Delete Post 
    Good luck, EmilyS
    Posts: 55 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    LDWriter2
    Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
    Okay.

Did some work on New MAGE. My MC is out of the pocket universe but she is in her attacker's- the one that tried to rape her- apartment. She wants to find something he has that she can use and I want her to find something she can call the police about. Pot plants is out even though it would have been a natural. Maybe Ecstasy. As soon as she gets home she will finally get rid of that Trick that has been influencing her emotions.

I did some revising on "Storm Born"... First chapter is a bit over one third done. I found two people to read the novel over.

Still working with the critting group with Bright Lights. Chapter five has been revised- hopefully cleaned up too- and sent out.

Worked on "Angel Kin"-- still need another title. The car chase is over and I started chapter four. She may go back to see her friend that has a collection of captive demons. She was rather upset with him the last time they talked.

May start another book this week. I know I have half a dozen ideas and I still need to finish my fantasy.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
    Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.