Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 2/3 - 2/9

Author Topic: NSG 2/3 - 2/9
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Feel free to update the NSG Work in Progress thread with your current projects. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
  • Describe what you worked on.
  • Set goals for next week.
  • Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

• Writing on a novel
  • Characterization
  • World Building
  • Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

Last Week's Goals

I didn't work at all on the writing. I have a large project at work going on and I've stayed late several nights this week. Just too tired. Just a boring report this week.

My goals for next week:

• Combine Book 3 scenes

Hopefully start combining scenes.

Attend Life the Universe and everything next week. Yeah. So, I may not be able to do next weeks NSG.

What did I learn this week?

Nothing here.

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Week's Goals:

MAGIC'S FOOL: Continue with the changes for the new plot elements.
Almost done. [Big Grin]

MAGE STORM: Keep querying. Two more queries out next week.
Yes. And a request for the full ms. [Big Grin]

SEVEN STARS: Let it rest.
Easy goal. [Smile]

BLOOD WILL TELL: Either call or email the agent again. Keep working on the possible cover art.
Yes. Still no response, though. I think I've got the cover art done. [Smile]

BLOOD IS THICKER: Let it rest.
Yes. [Smile]

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.

Get some work done on the first draft of the short story which may one day become a WotF entry.

Yes and no, respectively. [Frown]

Next Week's Goals:

MAGIC'S FOOL:
Finish the third draft and let it rest a little.

MAGE STORM:
Keep querying. Two more queries out next week.

SEVEN STARS:
It's time. Start work on the query and synopsis. Possibly start the polishing edit.

BLOOD WILL TELL:
Hmm. Puzzled over what to do next.

BLOOD IS THICKER:
Revision notes and then let it rest again.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.

Get some work done on the first draft of the short story which may one day become a WotF entry.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Have fun William!

Hopefully Meredith will step in for you next week.

Here's my update, and I think I wrote all these pages this morning just so I'd have forward movement to post about. =)

Week 1 - Page 21 of a projected 100
Week 2 - Page 41 of a projected 100
Week 3 - Page 49 of a projected 100
Week 4 - Page 55 of a projected 100

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
last week's goals
Hah. I didn't even check in last week.

Here are my goals from the week prior:
-Work on WOTF story
Yes. Nothing tangible, but I did some ruminatin'. My critters gave me some good ideas that I'm trying to work out.

-reread my manuscript
Nope.

this week:
-read manuscript
So for the first time in AGES I have Saturday morning free. Completely free, no obligations. So I think I'm going to take myself and my manuscript to a little cafe to spend a little quality time together.

-work on WOTF
I think I have an idea for revision.

lessons learned
There are times when you have to believe in yourself and your writing.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Week's Goals and Accomplishments

Research: Continue reading Trees of Pennsylvania and the Northeast. The forest life on his property is very important to one of my MCs, so I must know what he sees and feels about it.
--Not done. [Frown] I completely forgot. May I blame the germs that made me sick this week?

Work on the story draft every day.
--Not done. [Frown] There was a day or two that I didn't touch the story draft; although, I did think about the story and what is missing in a couple of scenes.

Next Week's Goals
Same goals as last week.
  • Research: Continue reading Trees of Pennsylvania and the Northeast.
  • Work on the story draft every day.

Last Week's Non-Writing Accomplishment
I heard my fetus's heartbeat for the first time! This is my first pregnancy, and it didn't seem completely real until I heard the little one's fast, even beat--about 160 beats per minute.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

Enjoy the symposium, William! I'm looking forward to seeing what you learned.

Congratulations on the request, Meredith!

Anne, why is that lesson one we have to learn over and over? The bigger the truth, the harder it is to absorb, maybe.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
aspirit, they're like little humming birds in there, eh? [Smile]

Enjoy as much as you can, and get lots of massages.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Aspirit, congratulations!!!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Aspirit my congrats too, I can kinda recall seeing my daughter's heart beating on an ultra sound monitor. Even though I don't recall hearing it.

Anwyay:

I worked on two novels... well three.

The Stone Within... second chapter my MC is fighting a unicorn in a medium size room. And she will find out that the homeless guy who thinks he's an adventurer really is strong and brave, she will start to wonder if he really is crazy. And even though I hadn't thought of it when I invented him he will become a partner with her adventures. In this case he carries away to injured men while she distracts the unicorn. She thought he would flee. And I decided I need to make the battle tougher on her.

Worked some one that second chapter of New Mage. I'm filling in some details from my MC growing up but I think it's too long an info dump. I need to spread it around somehow, I guess. I decided to check on how other writers take care of that. I need to find half a dozen first books in a series.

Started "Night Mage" Actually I got the idea months ago but it wasn't coming out right. Too many was-s for an opening. But when I saw a cover for a new book out a though popped into my head. So I moved MC from street level to second to the top of a skyscraper. He's standing on a ledge even though I'm not sure what that type of structure would be called, It has extra ledges and such. Kinda Gothic.

I don't usually comment on it but I don't know if I learned anything new. I have thought about certain things I've learned to do and not do.

My goals are to keep working on all three but mostly the first two. But I need to revise my WotF story, and send out some stories so I may not write on the novels so much.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

Thank you for the congrats! I'm looking forward to the first ultrasound, though I don't know when that will be.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.