Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 2/10 - 2/16

Author Topic: NSG 2/10 - 2/16
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, William said he might not be able to do this this week, so I guess I'll jump in.

quote:
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Feel free to update the NSG Work in Progress thread with your current projects. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
Describe what you worked on.
Set goals for next week.
Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

Writing on a novel
Characterization
World Building
Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

As for me:

Last Week's Goals:

MAGIC'S FOOL: Finish the third draft.
Yes. [Smile]

MAGE STORM: Keep querying. Two more queries out next week.
Only one. [Frown]

SEVEN STARS: Start work on the query and synopsis. Possibly start the polishing edit.
Yes to all three. [Smile]

BLOOD WILL TELL: Hmm. Puzzled over what to do next.
What can I say? [Wink]

BLOOD IS THICKER: Revision notes and then let it rest again.
Yes. [Smile]

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.

Get some work done on the first draft of the short story which may one day become a WotF entry.

Yes and no again. I think I'm going to have to pick up another story idea if I hope to get anything done. Or else just stop work on anything else. [Frown]

Next Week's Goals:

MAGIC'S FOOL:
Let it rest. I came close to burning out on it.

MAGE STORM:
Keep querying. Two more queries out next week.

SEVEN STARS:
Finish the polishing edit. Keep working on the query and synopsis.

BLOOD WILL TELL:
Decide what to do next.

BLOOD IS THICKER:
Let it rest.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.

Get some work done on the first draft of the short story which may one day become a WotF entry.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Another slow week. In fact, all my pages were written Saturday morning.

However, I did start a WotF, which is my priority, so no complaints.

Week 1 - Page 21 of a projected 100
Week 2 - Page 41 of a projected 100
Week 3 - Page 49 of a projected 100
Week 4 - Page 55 of a projected 100
Week 5 - Page 61 of a projected 100

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Week's Goals and Accomplishments

Research: Continue reading Trees of Pennsylvania and the Northeast.
--Done. [Smile]

Work on the story draft every day.
--Done? [Confused] On Thursday, I figured out the last line of a scene that had been ripped open; unfortunately, I went to bed before realizing that I hadn't written anything down. I did better the rest of the week.

Next Week's Goals
Same goals as last week.
  • Research: Continue reading Trees of Pennsylvania and the Northeast.
  • Work on the story draft every day.

Lessons Learned
I'm not productive in the break room at work. The constantly playing TV and the chatty people moving in and out are too distracting.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
last week:
-read manuscript
did not do
However, I started writing a synopsis, which turned out to be enormously helpful in thinking about plot.

-work on WOTF
I'm having to rethink my original revision plan, so not done with this yet.

This week
I am taking one of Cat Rambo's classes, so I'm not sure how much time I will have to work on my novel this week, or the next six weeks, for that matter!

However, I'd like to continue with the synopsis since I found that exercise so very helpful.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmilyS
Member # 9447

- posted      Profile for EmilyS   Email EmilyS         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I wrote 1000 words yesterday for the first time in a month. It would be foolishly optimistic to hope I'll get right back to my 1k/day goal this week, so I'll settle for daily writing–however much I can manage.

In addition to moving forward on Unborn, it's time to start polishing up a new query letter for The Null Prophet to submit to the next round of agents.

Posts: 125 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't do much work on my novels. This cold or flu had me sleeping a lot. Or dozing since a cough kept waking me up at times.

Then pink eye filled my eyes with discharge so I had problems seeing things clearly. I did some things online but no real writing,

All that is clearing up so I feel better and can see clearly so I felt like writing on my New Mage novel. It should have been all the way finished months ago but I still have chapters two and three to finish rewriting.

So with all that said I'm having problems with Ch2 I know what I want to say but not the order. I introduce a couple of my MCs friends and tell some of her background, that I hinted at in Ch1, but that was getting kinda long. So I decided to expand on a fight she had with werewolf a few years before which is how she got the scars on her arms and a later battle with a martial arts knife fighter that didn't like mages.

Oh and my goal for next week is to get back to my regular schedule. Not sure how many words I write depends on the day of the week and how much I procrastinate but I need to do a whole lot less of that this next week or two.

[ February 14, 2012, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.