Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Ghosts of WotF entries gone past (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ghosts of WotF entries gone past
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Ms Woodbury and LD,

Again...thank you for your comments and encouragement.
I've not stopped writing, though my output has been much reduced lately due to other obligations and I'm just now picking up the quill again.

I hate "rejection" as much as anyone, of course; and I've had a run of them this year, particularly from WOTF from whom I expected at least an HM (my ego is at least this large).

If I was seeking fortune and fame with my writing, this year of rejection after rejection would be incentive to stop--as it was when I was an undergraduate English major many long years ago over the hills and far away. However, for all practical purposes, I've achieved, well, relative fame and fortune in another discipline and art. This permits me the lattitude to grumble [at the lack of obvious editor* insight (and soul) as I peruse each form rejection letter] and to pretty much do as I please to keep the act of writing joyful, to sculpt worlds and peoples and experiences for my personal pleasure like some little closet universe diety. [Smile]

Oh, I do wish people to read and enjoy my writing nearly as much as I do. And that is a worthy secondary goal, for have I truly written if no one reads what I write? (I've heard trees fall in the Maine woods, btw).

I am merely commenting on the science and engineering of story creation in the worthy Mr. Worlverton's 87 points every author needs ask themselves. These are all excellent points, but my whole purpose in returning to writing is to escape from the science that permeates every minute of my logical, sequential, rational, analytical, and objective left brain life as a physician for the random, intuitive, holistic, and subjective right brain freedom and joy I achieve with my writing.

I am hopeful that I may have something(s) new to share with my fellow Hatrackers by the end of summer. We shall see. I do appreciate if I was trying to be a professional writer as a living, then I would be far more productive and more appreciative and keenly attentive to the excellent lessons and points Mr. Wolverton expounds. And then, after he rejects my next fanciful WOTF submission, have something new to share in a "Ghosts of WOTF" Group thread. [Smile]

Be well.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

* Well, mostly assistent editors (youths younger than my neckties) [Wink]

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if this is exactly what you meant but this came to mind as I read your comment.

quote:
Oh, I do wish people to read and enjoy my writing nearly as much as I do. And that is a worthy secondary goal, for have I truly written if no one reads what I write? (I've heard trees fall in the Maine woods, btw).

I am merely commenting on the science and engineering of story creation in the worthy Mr. Worlverton's 87 points every author needs ask themselves. These are all excellent points, but my whole purpose in returning to writing is to escape from the science that permeates every minute of my logical, sequential, rational, analytical, and objective left brain life as a physician for the random, intuitive, holistic, and subjective right brain freedom and joy I achieve with my writing.

Actually we are all suppose to write for that reason. But a lot of us try too hard to do it right and get caught in the "science and engineering of story creation" instead of the "the random, intuitive, holistic, and subjective right brain freedom and joy"

In other words we get bogged down with the how to and try too hard. We forget about the thrill of telling a story. It can be a fine line between working to improve our craft and getting caught in the effort.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

- posted      Profile for rabirch   Email rabirch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LDWriter2:
Not sure if this is exactly what you meant but this came to mind as I read your comment.

quote:
Actually we are all suppose to write for that reason. But a lot of us try too hard to do it right and get caught in the "science and engineering of story creation" instead of the "the random, intuitive, holistic, and subjective right brain freedom and joy"

In other words we get bogged down with the how to and try too hard. We forget about the thrill of telling a story. It can be a fine line between working to improve our craft and getting caught in the effort.

There is so much truth in this. I struggle with it every day.
Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone provide a link to these "87 points" everyone's talking about? I get the Daily Kick and all I can find are the ten things that will get you quickly rejected.

Thanks.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

I think it's this one. They're not all numbered in a row, but it's a lot of lists.

http://www.davidfarland.net/writing_tips/?a=91

Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome, thanks rabirch
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

You're welcome! It's overwhelmingly comprehensive. [Big Grin]
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a group 3 started,

Shimiqua

If you are looking for answers on why a previous story failed, or think one that KDW rejected has a better chance with He Who Isn't Easily Impressed (a distant cousin to KDW brown eye/blue eye clan), join in.

I know you have one buried in those files, WriterDan, and Jennifer, how about that one that went down a few quarters ago? Jump in

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Just want to say that I still have not received one story.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Louis, I believe you critted my story, and I also critted your story...

I also received a very thorough and constructive crit from Meredith. Nothing from Brendan.

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Brendan seems to have fallen into a black hole. I haven't gotten anything from him either.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
My apologies. I have been fighting a gall stone this weekend, and last week worked a mad 86 hours. So I have gotten a little behind. mbwood, I have your critique nearly ready, and am 3/4 through LDs. Meredith, my sincere apologies - I will get onto it soon.
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brendan:
My apologies. I have been fighting a gall stone this weekend, and last week worked a mad 86 hours. So I have gotten a little behind. mbwood, I have your critique nearly ready, and am 3/4 through LDs. Meredith, my sincere apologies - I will get onto it soon.

No problem. Real life will sometimes do that to you.

Hope you're feeling better soon. Send your story on whenever you're ready.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Brendan I'm not that worried about the crit, especially with RL stuff happening to you. But I never received a story from you. If you did send one I'm not sure what I did with it.

It's debatable how much my crit will be worth at the moment but I'll still be sending one.

Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd been revising my 2011 HM story when this thread started, but didn't join in because I knew I wouldn't finish in time. Well, I finally finished today, so if anyone is interested in trading crits, feel free to e-mail me.

I cut my story from 16k to 10k words. Hopefully it is tighter now. [Smile]

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.