Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NaNoWhatever you want to do Thread

Author Topic: NaNoWhatever you want to do Thread
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
This group is for anyone who wants to make a big push in editing, writing, polishing, rewriting, or whatever goals want in the month of November. Anyone can join at any time, just add a post about your goals are for the month as a whole, and what your individual goals are for the week. Post here at least once a week on your progress and new goals. You may post as often as you like in sharing your triumphs or lamenting in your setbacks.

The idea is to support each other and have someone to be accountable to which, hopefully, will make us more successful.

We've got a lot to do this month, so let's get started. [Smile]

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

Here are my goals.

For the whole month: Edit half of my Novel (~220 pages) with some sections needing extensive re-writing. And polishing the entire novel (~500 pages).

Weekly goal: Edit approximately 10 pages a day.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna try the whole write a novel in a month thing, see you on the other side.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tesknota
Member # 10041

- posted      Profile for tesknota   Email tesknota         Edit/Delete Post 
I am also going to write a whole novel in a month. I mean it this year. I MEAN IT.

I'm putting all my short story attempts on hold, and I am going to finish a novel-in-progress because this is the NaNoWhatever you want to do thread and I don't care about rules!

Posts: 252 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
In August I went back to school for teaching.

This month, I'm also going back to school for writing. I'm going to do that thing I've never done, and always dreaded and never had time for.

I'm going to practice.

Because my time has always been so limited, I've always spent it writing prose, but like Inigo Montoya, I have to go back to the beginning.

So the plan is to write words that don't count, for the sake of craft learning.

We'll see if I can pull it off.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you MAP. I took out a 7 day trial of Grammarly to do a thorough proof of my manuscript. It's nearly 105,000 words and I've yet for it to run through the whole thing. I want it to get through this program this week.

I've gone through this two or three times, but I need to do a final edit so I can get this out and self-pubbed. My goal is edit and cover this month.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
My month of November isn't going to begin until Monday, at which point I am pulling out my Nanowrimo from several years ago. It is the sequel to my novel that I am self-publishing in January 2014, and it would be amazing if I could have an entire manuscript by the end of November.

I'm not certain what that will entail, but if memory serves, I wrote exactly 50000 words that year, and then stopped, so my main character's story is half-way told (and told very poorly) and some subplots haven't even been touched yet.

I imagine my month will be some bizarre hybrid of editing and writing, but by the end of it I hope to be in a much happier place where this novel is concerned.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

Someone in my NaNoWriMO group suggested using the snowflake method, so I've spent the weekend doing the background stuff. I wish they would have suggested is a couple of weeks ago.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

So far today I have: started a novel for my friend's gifted and talented class (I write the first chapter, and they will finish the book. I'm SO excited), and worked on other sundry projects completely not related to this one. I've got to get going, but sometimes starting is the hardest part.

Utahute72--I LOVE the snowflake method, and all those words count!

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

OK, you'll have to tell me how to make those words count.
Dirk Hairychest
Member # 10105

- posted      Profile for Dirk Hairychest   Email Dirk Hairychest         Edit/Delete Post 
I am NaNo-ing this month too. My wife and 2 of my sons are doing it with me. So far it isn't too hard, but I am expecting the mid month doldrums to hit. I am also working on my WotF story for this quarter.
Posts: 60 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

I am not doing well at all! On the other hand, other projects are getting finished, so maybe I should rewrite my goals. I've written my back cover blurb, and written about 20 pages in another book. I haven't even opened the book I planned to edit. So that's my goal for today. Open the document. [Cool]
MAP
Member # 8631

I didn't do as well as I wanted to. It didn't help that I accidently saved over my latest version and lost all my work yesterday. So frustrating.

I need to focus and do better next week.

tesknota
Member # 10041

- posted      Profile for tesknota   Email tesknota         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate it when I save over something and I can't undo because I've already closed the document.

Regarding NaNo progress, I unabashedly proclaim that I have finished my entire... bag of Twix.

Posts: 252 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got about 10K to go in my initial grammar/spelling review. I used two grammar/spelling checkers... Next week, it's a mostly a description-based rewrite.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm participating this year. I'm around 13k now; been doing pretty good but now I stopped due to plot uncertainties so I wanted to give the story a good look before I continue.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

I still haven't opened the document I planned to edit, but I have written two chapters in another book and nearly gotten yet another book ready to publish. It doesn't feel like success, becuase it wasn't what I wanted to do, but little check-ups like this help me to realize that it is still pretty cool.
MAP
Member # 8631

I think you're still doing awesome Melanie. As long as you are making progress on the writing front, you are winning. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.