Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » A new Novel Chapter Exchange Group

Author Topic: A new Novel Chapter Exchange Group
Steve 46th
Member # 10113

- posted      Profile for Steve 46th   Email Steve 46th         Edit/Delete Post 
In late 2012, I joined two of my fellow Hatrackers in forming a novel chapter exchange group. The idea was great, and I considered the first cycle of exchanges a success. Unfortunately, the group’s original momentum became derailed for various reasons (one of which was because we brought on two new people, which stretched out the individual writer’s turnaround time), to the point where the group fell apart before anyone’s manuscript was completely critiqued.

I still like the concept of a novel chapter exchange group, and I want to start a new one, but I believe its best chance of success will come if (1) we keep it at three people; (2) we keep the manuscripts as close to similar lengths as possible; (3) we keep the manuscripts as close to the same genre as possible (I’m fairly flexible as to genre, but I’ve been on the wrong end of many examples where a critiquer whose writings and/or preferences didn’t cross into the genre my story was told in ultimately lost focus…and interest).

All that said…I would enjoy forming a novel chapter exchange group with two other people who write and/or connect with contemporary young adult fiction (meaning that my manuscript contains no magic, no vampires, no zombies…just regular teens doing borderline-idiotic teen things). The manuscript I would submit to this group is just over 25K words, but it is broken into smaller scenes that could essentially serve as chapters. If anybody has a young adult or even an urban fantasy story they would like critiqued, and would be willing to take on my manuscript, respond to this thread.

Once I have two participants, this group is locked forever. I’m not making the same mistake again. But, if this group turns out as successful as I suspect, then I will want to start another such group later on; believe me when I say I have plenty of other novel-length stories on the verge of requiring critiquing, including plenty of science fiction and a mainstream / mystery I’m very much looking forward to unveiling.

Thanx in advance!

S!

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve 46th
Member # 10113

- posted      Profile for Steve 46th   Email Steve 46th         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got one participant for this group. Just one more, and we'll be ready to go!

Any questions? Feel free to ask.

S!

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 46th:
... The manuscript I would submit to this group is just over 25K words, but it is broken into smaller scenes that could essentially serve as chapters. If anybody has a young adult or even an urban fantasy story they would like critiqued, and would be willing to take on my manuscript, respond to this thread.

Hi Steve,
I commend you for your discipline and strict participation parameters. However, isn't "25K" the length of a short novella and not a novel?

This makes it tough to provide you a "'novel' of equal length" as you have stipulated. Just the first part (of 3) of my newest (YA appropriate) novel is 35K! And my urban fantasy first novel that has been getting enough renewed interest that I may soon give it another look is 108K!

Thus, while I commend you on your strict parameters and wish you great success, I am disqualified. [Wink]

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I was part of the first group as well. I found it awesome.

Although I don't have a novel currently, I'm posting to encourage anyone on the fence to join. Especially with Steve.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve 46th
Member # 10113

@ History: I anticipated the unequal length issue, and I've been working it behind the scenes. Even though the first participant's manuscript is much longer than mine, I will still critique his...and humbly suggest that he might like to read a second short manuscript of mine that might close the word count gap a little. If you want to throw in your 35K YA appropriate manuscript, go for it. The only part of this group's original structure I am inflexible about is how many participate in any one group.

@ Axe: Thanx for the props! Perhaps, you and I can conduct another short fiction manuscript exchange one of these days. I have one that's not ticking me off as much as it was last week...!

S!

History
Member # 9213

Hi Steve.

As I shared, only part one (35K) of my new novel is written.

It does break clean, since part two will begin a number of years later (and I hope it will not take me an equivalent time to write) [Wink] .

Howevetr, you may prefer to have someone who has a complete novel ready.

If a part-novel is okay with you and mbw, then I'll throw my kippah into the ring (although there are no Judaic elements in this tale of mine at all this time).

I can't promise I can get through all of mbw's complete novel, but I should be able to give, I hope, feedback he'll find helpful.

Let me know.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

[ March 20, 2014, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: History ]

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve 46th
Member # 10113

If mbw is OK with you sharing a part-novel, it's OK with me.

S!

Steve 46th
Member # 10113

We've got our group! Let the critting begin!

S!

History
Member # 9213

Just sent you an email, Steve.
I'm going to need to bow out.

Thus, if anyone wishes to replace me as the third in Steve's novel chapter exchange group, the seat's still warm.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Steve 46th
Member # 10113

Bob beat me to the announcement (I was busy watching a hockey game): the third seat in my novel chapter exchange group is open!

Although I will be glad to critique just about any genre, keep in mind that my manuscript is contemporary young adult.

If you have any questions, let me know.

S!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.