Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WOTF Critique Group--Q2 2015

Author Topic: WOTF Critique Group--Q2 2015
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Since we don't have a topic for this one (We miss you Dan!) I'm starting one. [Cool]

Please post all things related to Q2 here.

If you need a critique, full or partial, swaps, if you're *in* and of course how you fared!

As for me, I'm writing my first draft. I'm around 2k in. Considering today is the 15th of January, I'm ahead of the game!

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will Blathe
Member # 10300

- posted      Profile for Will Blathe           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!

(I'm not so sure of myself) I have 0 words in, but this thread may fix that.

Posts: 155 | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. Haven't written word 1 of a story, yet, but I'll come up with one. Happy to crit any of you when you need it.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. I have been gone a while but I am back to writing full time. Last and only time I entered this thing I got an HM.... Man! that was a long time ago.

Let's fill up the podium this quarter!

So Dan is gone, huh? I will step up and help as much as I can, Axe.

My writing is on fire right now. I am in the zone. Goal is a story a week which has been happening. I will chose one or write one by a first deadline. As I remember these groups usually had two draft deadlines and everyone swapped crits. Quarters where we had huge groups we plot up into pods of about eight so we wouldn't get overloaded.

I am willing to take on up to eight. I can also help with discussing plots and premise. Me and a few of the old Hatrackers found this to be helpful. It solves a lot of problems before too much time is spent writing a draft that has huge holes in the plot or some other malady.

Anyone interested in this, let me know.

I am in it to win it!

[ January 19, 2015, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Bent Tree ]

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

If everyone is starting some scratch, I propose we do an outline summary exchange. Perhaps even have character interviews as our first exchange and then a solid first draft swap. After that final edit swaps can be arranged on a request basis with other members of the group? Just a thought.

I remember how daunting it was at times trying to offer critique on 8 stories twice per quarter, only to see that some had barely edited a few sentences.

I am up for anything though. I say lets make this group the ten per centers! HM's or up!

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for Smiley   Email Smiley         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you please explain how this works. I seem to have mislaid my brain someplace.
Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I should have posted this last night or even the night before:

First I'm surprise there are a few here who are doing this quarter. Last quarter we only had couple, maybe three, I think.

Anyway. My story is already finished and over half way revised. I cheated though [Wink] I started this story months ago and for various reasons never finished it, it was almost done so I finished it a month ago.

It may just have some of the twists that Dave usually likes. We shall see of course.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

Anybody else already started your story? I've started mine three or four times. Each time I get a little closer to an approach I like. This is a pretty ambitious story--possibly more than I have the skills to handle--but no risk, no reward, right?
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I have a draft. Anyone else still have a dog in this fight?
wetwilly
Member # 1818

I'm still trying to pull my dog out of the birth canal, but I'll take a read.

Wait, before I commit, how long is it?

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

5k ish. i posted it in frags but no one bit
wetwilly
Member # 1818

Send it on over. I'll read it.
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Anyone doing this thing? or am I gonna win it?
Will Blathe
Member # 10300

I'm treading water. I'm not sure about what I want to write.

I remember, digging around the cramped bits of my brainpan, that there were some references to what was the best way to go about a submission -- something about styles of conflict and all that. I figured I'd ask about that here, seeing as here is the WOTF thread.

Thank you much,

Will

Posts: 155 | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent_A_Jones
Member # 10234

- posted      Profile for Kent_A_Jones   Email Kent_A_Jones         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Will,
I've been trying to crack WOTF for a couple of years and have 4 of 7 entries that have made HM.

That said, based on his blogs, beyond any other metric, Dave prizes originality. Good stories need conflict twists and surprises (ones that are logical outgrowths of situation and character, but are nonetheless, unexpected by the reader: Think, laughing when a bully threatens rather than cowering - imagine a character that would do it.)

I have recently decided to define originality, not as an off-the-wall new situation or trouble for the MC, but as a new or surprising way of resolving a familiar situation or trouble. Think of traditional problems/conflicts and discard the traditional solutions.

More technically, based on forwards for stories in WOTF volumes, Dave looks for genre and type when filling up the book. If he has a good High Fantasy already, he may be looking for an Urban Fantasy. It appears that he is always looking for good Hard SF. I don't do it myself, but quarterly winners might be tracked based on title and a writer might rule out a certain genre based on this kind of speculation. While I believe that genre has slight weight in deciding between two equally good stories, I think quality always wins.

The contest can be approached even more technically if you wish. Read the books and read the judges' blogs. Read any of the popular posts that Dave has made regarding the creation of speculative fiction. Sign up at WOTF and start a thread in their forums asking for advice; you will get links to everything. I only read the books and Dave's advice, believing that too much thought to winning leaves too little thought to entertaining readers.

Write with originality about a subject that you love speculating about. Good luck,
Kent

Posts: 133 | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Will,

If you want to send me your e-mail, I have a template that I've created that may help. It's not a rule, but more of a guideline.

I've also created a thread on the WotF forums that shows where you can find additional finalists above and beyond those that win. Let's face it, 13 stories a year is just not enough, right? [Smile]

Besides, while those are stories that Dave chose, there are five more per quarter that had an equal chance of winning, but didn't. They were just as noteworthy to Dave - the guy who will be reading *your* story.

http://forum.writersofthefuture.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2081

You should be able to view that without having to join the forum, but I do recommend signing up.

If you're obsessed, like me, you'll read any semi-finalists you can get your hands on, but those are more difficult to come by, and may require some PMs. But if you ask people maybe 6mo to a year later, and inquire as to where it's published so you may read it, I bet you'll have good luck.

As much as I read the kicks, and Dave's writing books, it's reading the stories he picks that has done more for me than anything. WotF stories have a certain feel for them. Although they are all over the map genre wise, they are identifiable after a while just as one might identify an Analog story, or an IGMS story.

And, IMO, if you read them long enough, you'll start to write them. Of course, this hinges on being obsessed, like me. I write almost nothing else, so I don't mind writing like them. Some people are just talented and can win by submitting whatever. Not me. I'm all hard work.

So if you want info on how to nose/grindstone, let me know. But if you just want to write and have fun and submit and see what happens, go for it. I think there are more winners on talent, than by my method. [Embarrassed]

@Kent
From what I understand, Dave chooses the top story in each genre. i.e. 1 space story, 1 urban fantasy story, 1 high fantasy story, etc. This is how he gathers the top 8. So, your job is to write the top story in the genre. It might feel like more pressure, but it's actually less, because you're competing against less folks.

My Q2 is "space". So, I'm busting my hump to write the best space story he'll see this quarter. The *best*.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent_A_Jones
Member # 10234

- posted      Profile for Kent_A_Jones   Email Kent_A_Jones         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the info, Axe,
See Will?
There is enough research out there to fill any gaps you might be unclear on for contest entries. I encourage anyone to do as much as they can. I have an article by David Farland entitled, How to Win Writing Contests and Big Publishing Contracts, that Joni Labaqui sent out a few months back. If you want it, drop me an email.

I enter the contest to measure my writing skills. MS Communication classes take up my research time, but I applaud writers like axminister who trouble themselves with this kind of research. Other than learning how to write well, identifying the audience for your writing is the most important thing you can do.

I write for a generalized SF & F audience at the moment. However, WotF is judged by the most discerning audience that an unpublished speculative fiction writer will likely ever see. Authors, Editors and teachers, they all have track records that can be studied. I have no doubt that if one writes a story that answers every question that can be researched on these pillars of our community, one will also be writing a story that wins, and launches a career.

Good Luck,
Kent

Posts: 133 | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will Blathe
Member # 10300

Kent_A_Jones, axeminister: thank you both. I appreciate the information.

I find it interesting that there is a "feel" for WotF stories. I'm now itching to get the chance to read a few.

Axe, after I posted my question, I did find the WotF forums, but I haven't had the chance to participate yet (I hope to change that). I'm now going to read those stories in that wonderful link!

Kent, regarding your mention of genre, that's a toughy for me. I drift a lot when I try to write. I think that's an area I will need to work on.

You both may have noticed that it took me awhile to respond. It's not that I ignored you, it's that I forgot about the existence of Hatrack for a time. I have a nasty case of adult ADD, and it does its best to screw with my ability to use social media, being that it's often so time sensitive.

BTW- I think I'll have to take you both up on your offers.

Will Blathe
Member # 10300

Holy Canoli! Axe, I just read (and listened to one) some of the stories you referenced:

http://forum.writersofthefuture.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2081

Kary English is my favorite so far when it comes to emotional impact.

I either want to write more or give up in disgust.

I think I'll write (:

Kent_A_Jones
Member # 10234

Will,
Windows didn't find the web page listed in your profile. Left click on my name to go to my Hatrack profile page where my email is listed and I'll get that article to you.

Genre is only a way for editors and publicists to categorize work (They love data). Milieu defines genre. The basic forms we deal with are Hard Science Fiction, Soft Science Fiction and Fantasy. If unusual actions within a story can be explained by real world science, then it's Science Fiction. If unusual actions can only be explained by magic or the occult, then it's Fantasy. Hard SF is hard science based. Soft SF is fantasy with space ships. (BTW, I welcome other definitions.)

Invent your own milieu (setting, physical rules, government, religion, social structure, technological level, etc. down to the little stuff) and adhere strictly to it so you can immerse your reader in it. (Note: this last is my biggest pet peeve with the stories I've read over on Critters. Never, never violate the rules of your own milieu. You will lose your reader and the contest.) (Speaking to the ADD: write all elements of milieu in outline form so you can refer to them. It's fun and habit forming.) Then write your story and let somebody else tell you what genre it's in.

About the contest: If you complete two equally good stories in three month's time, and one is SF while the other is F, take a look at stories that have already won for the WotF fiscal year. If more Fantasies are in, simple, send the SF. It doesn't happen to me on my schedule because I scramble to get one good story done in three months.

Thanks to Kathleen and the rest of the WotF Q2 folks for letting me have the floor. As always, if I write here, I'll be happy to crit your stories, whether I have one in time or not.
Kent

axeminister
Member # 8991

Kent A Jones wrote "About the contest: If you complete two equally good stories in three month's time, and one is SF while the other is F, take a look at stories that have already won for the WotF fiscal year. If more Fantasies are in, simple, send the SF. It doesn't happen to me on my schedule because I scramble to get one good story done in three months."

Kent, I must respectfully disagree with this for two reasons. 1. It's difficult to know what's won, unless you know each of the winners and have read their stories. 2. Dave chooses genre anew each quarter. 8 stories. 1 Hard sci-fi, 1 high fantasy, etc, etc. So it's unlikely there will be a plethora of fantasy in the winners per quarter, because there's only likely to be one fantasy finalist per quarter. Even if Fantasy wins Q1, and Q2, and you enter a fantasy for Q3, you have the same chance of being the fantasy that gets selected that quarter, and the max that will be in the antho is 4.

Now, fantasy is a broad term, but if I explained myself properly, you'll see how it's difficult for the antho to be crowded with a particular genre. It all starts at the finalist level, and Dave filters those.

Enter your *best* story per quarter. Don't go nuts trying to figure out what's won. The only competition is the other people in your quarter, in your genre. Go get em!

Axe

axeminister
Member # 8991

Will,
I wish I connected with Kary's emotional impact. She speaks of it often, and is very popular for it, but I like her writing for other reasons.

If Vegas had odds for the gold award, I'd put my money on her for V.31.

Axe

Will Blathe
Member # 10300

Axe & Kent, hello again! I've tunneled back into the interwebs to get back here. It's sometimes a task for me to remember my online bits.

Kent: I don't have a webpage per se. I keep getting distracted before I can do anything with one :P I'll do the clicky thing for that article -- thanks!

I would like to do some critique stuff. I'm working on outlining my story. Usually I'm a half-pantser, but this time I'm going super outliny.

Axe: interesting regarding emotional impact... I'm curious about what about Kary's work really gets you.

Will

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I forget if I mentioned that I was working on one or not but mine is in.

As usual lately it could very well be my best writing so far even though so far that hasn't meant much.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkr
Member # 10397

- posted      Profile for dkr           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey folks! JUST got back in the Treehouse. Am I too late to get in on this round? I have read 3 volumes of WotF cover to cover and will be scouting the above posted sites. Would love to join in but may be too late for this quarter.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

Got mine in. I'm usually early, but this one was a last-minute sub.
Will Blathe
Member # 10300

Well, I didn't come close to making it this round, but I'm steaming ahead at a snails pace to try to get something together for the next round. Here's to trying!
axeminister
Member # 8991

Will,

I like Kary's technical aspects. No one can cover as much ground in a single paragraph as her. You read in the help books to "make every sentence count" or "each paragraph should build toward the climax". I think that's a bunch of stress-inducing hooey. Each paragraph should be a puzzle piece of the story. That's what Kary does.

I didn't get an entry in this quarter either. I had one, but it just wasn't working. I'm rewriting it (again) now. [Frown]

Axe

axeminister
Member # 8991

How are folks faring?

Anyone get the "first pass" e-mail?

wetwilly
Member # 1818

Just the "not yet judged" email for me.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I haven't updated this for a while.

But to my surprise I received the not judged yet E-mail too. Some got Rs evidently but only a small number and this time I wasn't one of them.

And as of about an hour ago still no word. Which means the couple of weeks prediction was optimistic.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

So rejections are going out.

My story was a complete failure again.

wetwilly
Member # 1818

Oh, let's not be so dramatic. Mine was rejected, too. I wouldn't call rejection from 1 editor in 1 market a complete failure, though. There are others. And I learned some things about writing by writing it, so even if I never sell this one and it just moved me a little closer to publishing, that's still a good thing.
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LDWriter2:
So rejections are going out.

My story was a complete failure again.

Hey, hey now. *big hugs* That is a terrible way to look at it. Just because you didn't place in a contest doesn't mean your story is a complete failure. (I will grant you, I haven't read it, but my point still stands.) This is not the end of the world. You can absolutely submit your story elsewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by wetwilly:
Mine was rejected, too. I wouldn't call rejection from 1 editor in 1 market a complete failure, though. There are others. And I learned some things about writing by writing it, so even if I never sell this one and it just moved me a little closer to publishing, that's still a good thing.

That's the spirit! Keep trying.
Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

From past performances and the fact that even though I have been supposedly getting better in the last five quarters or so I still can't get to a HM. And actually this time I know it was worse because Q2 they sent out E-mails saying if someone's story got to the next level. I never got that one. Which means he probably didn't read it all the way through-even though I suspect there's a chance he might have-which means a total rejection. I failed to write well enough to reach even the second level.

Of course if one of the next couple of editors buys it or at least comments on it, I will change my thinking on it.

Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LDWriter2:
From past performances and the fact that even though I have been supposedly getting better in the last five quarters or so I still can't get to a HM. And actually this time I know it was worse because Q2 they sent out E-mails saying if someone's story got to the next level. I never got that one. Which means he probably didn't read it all the way through-even though I suspect there's a chance he might have-which means a total rejection. I failed to write well enough to reach even the second level.

Of course if one of the next couple of editors buys it or at least comments on it, I will change my thinking on it.

I'm willing to read the story if you're in the mood to send it my way. If not, that's just fine. In either case, it's important to remember a few things about any sort of competition/contest (or submissions in general):

There are a lot of entries. I wasn't personally familiar with WOTF before today, but considering L. Ron Hubbard's name is attached and it's been around for awhile I can only assume it's a decently large competition.

There is no guarantee the judge(s) are your target audience. No matter how much people try to be impartial, we all have our biases.

And last but most certainly not least, I know first-hand how much rejection hurts but I promise this is not your only option.

Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I want to say first: Thanks for the response and the comments no matter how my argument may sound and I realize it will sound rough, which I apologize for.

I have been sending in stories for over five years, a few years before Dave had to join with them. From what Dave has said he might be among the editors who respond to great writing even if they don't like the story. Some, if not most, will even buy a type they said they would never buy if the writing is great. True certain editors like certain techniques more than others but they will still recognize good writing. He has stated that sometimes he will finish a story even if the writer makes a couple of basic mistakes or it's not quite what he wants.

Dave completely rejected my writing, most probably he didn't get all the way through the story. The writing wasn't good enough even for that.

And I repeat that if another editor does happen to buy it soon, I will have to say you were correct, even though past experience says they won't.

Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

There's no need to apologize. I can understand and empathize with your frustration completely. I just don't want you to lose faith, for lack of a better term. Being willing to put your work out there is, in and of itself, commendable.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Originally posted by Disgruntled Peony:
There's no need to apologize. I can understand and empathize with your frustration completely. I just don't want you to lose faith, for lack of a better term. Being willing to put your work out there is, in and of itself, commendable.

In my case it's mostly there is no sign that I am improving. Most writers will start doing a bit better at least when they begin to learn more about writing. I don't.

I mean things like getting to the next level up, a personal comment, getting a HM-nothing.

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
LD, the mere fact that you have a deep passion for writing is commendable; be proud of it and never give it up. That you submit your stories to editors, competitions, and publishers and get no response at all tells me one thing: there is a problem with your writing. Possibly even with your stories, but the initial problem is getting people to read the first line, then the first paragraph, and so on.

On that point, I took a peek at the opening few pages of “Above my Paygrade x2” on Amazon and found your first problem: Your Author’s Notes. These are doing two things: first, apologising for the book and its shortcomings, and second, telling the reader that all of the people who were going to help you edit the book all got ‘busy’ all of a sudden and couldn’t do it. This sends up a red flag warning: Remember Mother’s old saying, “If you can’t say something nice about someone, don’t say anything at all.”

So the question is: What is wrong with your current writing?

Ask a hundred people and you’ll get a hundred different answers. If you do get a consensus, that doesn’t mean those people are right, just that this is what most people think. What matters is what you think because you’re the one who’ll have to fix it. So you have to answer the question: What is wrong with my current writing?

quote:
Most writers will start doing a bit better at least when they begin to learn more about writing. I don't.
This all depends on what you’re learning. If it’s ‘writer’s tricks of the trade’, chuck them out and junk them, they are nothing more than flim-flam and shiny, gilt edging to cover up fundamental flaws. If you want to learn about writing, read and intensively study Aristotle’s Poetics for three months. It is a small work but it lays the foundation stones for all of storytelling.

Edited to add: Also, you might consider comparing a story you wrote with a 'bestseller' written in the same genre and 'rough' story type. See how a professional did it and see where your own writing methods need work/revising/complete change.

If you truly want to write, fight for it.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Phil.

[ July 16, 2015, 04:21 AM: Message edited by: Grumpy old guy ]

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Originally posted by Grumpy old guy:
LD, the mere fact that you have a deep passion for writing is commendable; be proud of it and never give it up. That you submit your stories to editors, competitions, and publishers and get no response at all tells me one thing: there is a problem with your writing. Possibly even with your stories, but the initial problem is getting people to read the first line, then the first paragraph, and so on.

Phil.

I am responding to this in part so it doesn't look confusing and too long.

Please don't take this the wrong way as it might sound--but yes I know that.

I put in the phrase about the last five quarters on purpose. I should have significantly improved for each quarter. In fact according one writer-treacher-editor whose workshops I took I did improve. Over all that is. Not every assignment was done right. He stated that a couple of my openings were done well and other editors should like them. But he seems to be the only editor who likes my stuff though. Of course it is possible that Dave did read the whole of my last couple of stories. It's easy to think he didn't get that far, but I have to say he might have. Maybe, even though I think not, Dave might have thought I put one too many impossibilities in my story. I think his limit is three-at least in the opening. Other editors don't seem to mind that as much.

Well this evening to late so I will have to finish this response later.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.