Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Novel Support Group 9/4 - 9/10

Author Topic: Novel Support Group 9/4 - 9/10
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group. Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Feel free to update the NSG Work in Progress thread with your current projects. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
Describe what you worked on.
Set goals for next week.
Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

Writing on a novel
Characterization
World Building
Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

As for me:

Last Week's Goals:

MAGE STORM: Think about what else I could do with this story.
Still thinking. I'm not in a rush on this one. [Wink]

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE/THE VOICE OF PROPHECY: Nothing for this week.
Easy one. [Smile]

BEYOND THE PROPHECY: Use social media to try to boost the pre-orders.
Some. [Frown]

MAGIC'S WARRIOR (temporary working title of DUAL MAGICS Book 4): Build up momentum on the first draft. Or take a short break from it. Undecided.
Taking a short break. [Smile]

BECOME: TO CATCH THE LIGHTNING (formerly DREAMER'S ROSE):
This story is starting to call to me. It might be what I need to recharge to come back to WAR OF MAGIC with more enthusiasm.
Making some progress on this. AND engaging my mind with something else is helping me to generate ideas for WAR OF MAGIC. [Big Grin]

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Yes. [Smile]

Next Week's Goals:

MAGE STORM:
Think about what else I could do with this story.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE/THE VOICE OF PROPHECY:
Possibly join the Clean Indie Reads Fall sale with these two.

BEYOND THE PROPHECY:
Releases next Tuesday.

MAGIC'S WARRIOR (temporary working title of DUAL MAGICS Book 4):
Take a short break from it.

BECOME: TO CATCH THE LIGHTNING (formerly DREAMER'S ROSE):
Work on this while I try to recharge my enthusiasm for WAR OF MAGIC with more enthusiasm.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Week’s Goals:

The Gardener: Develop the milieu. Oh boy, did that take off. In fact I could quite happily keep on developing the milieu for the next twelve months; but that won’t get the story written. So I put a hold on that little endeavor for a moment and started developing the character of Bartholomew’s nemesis. Not his antagonist, because that is actually his own fears, but rather the man who will lead him to the truth about himself he doesn’t want to know. Chaoxiang Marshall is cool! He looks cool, he sounds cool, and I think as a character, he’s great. Pity he’s not the hero.

Battle School: I’ve finally finished all the factual nuts and bolts about defining what war is, exploring why wars start, and finally categorising wars into their basic types. All I have to do now is explain how, and why, you should consider the information provided when you start to write a story that includes a war of some sort.

Next Week’s Goals:

The Gardener: Put on hold for a moment. I think I want too develop the milieu a little further. The reason is simple, in just thinking about where I could take this milieu I realised that it has become a character itself. Without any trouble I came up with ideas for four stories that could be set within this milieu, including a murder/mystery of all things. Each could stand alone with a separate character and each story revealing a tiny fragment of the ‘Big Lie’ that sits at the heart of this futuristic society. Which also means that this story will probably be set 125 years in the future instead of the 50 I had previously envisioned.

Battle School: Point out the advantages of considering how you include conflict and wars in your stories.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy I skipped the last four weeks Yikes.

Anyway, I am still working on "Journey of Mystery". I had the thought that since my MC is on what is basically a quest I decided I needed a couple of more characters, so one which was to be a short termed character is now a continual one. And i invented a new character, one I will have to introduce a lot earlier when I revise it. It's a female dwarf who is a great shot with a crossbow. And a teacher of the same. My MC doesn't realize she is a dwarf yet though. He's never seen one and has barely heard tales of them.

Not sure if I said this here but I don't know what my MC is searching for--well now I think I do but that is recent. And besides heading into the cold and fights with what I call half-dragons I am not sure of what happens or will happen.

I had to do some revising on my Indie steampunk-special ops book. So am having a relaunch with it. That is the e-version the paper version will be later. I just finished redoing it and one more look to make sure no other paragraphs moved on me-some did-then I will upload it.

Another novel I wrote a couple of years ago and only partially revised came to mind today. I want to do it but with what I have learned about writing since means it will need a stronger revising.

I believe that is all on novels.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Hit 10k words in my suspense novel on Thursday. Yay!
Then switched to starting a new WotF story today. Um. Yay?

I might never finish another novel as long as I don't win that contest. Alas, new words are never a bad thing.

I do firmly want to continue this novel, and have my aim set on 20k words. Maybe by Sept end... We shall see.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.