Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Novel Support Group 9/11 - 9/17

Author Topic: Novel Support Group 9/11 - 9/17
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group. Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Feel free to update the NSG Work in Progress thread with your current projects. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
Describe what you worked on.
Set goals for next week.
Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

Writing on a novel
Characterization
World Building
Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

As for me:

Last Week's Goals:

MAGE STORM: Think about what else I could do with this story.
Still thinking. Not in any rush. [Smile]

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE/THE VOICE OF PROPHECY: Possibly join the Clean Indie Reads Fall sale with these two.
Done. [Smile]

BEYOND THE PROPHECY: Releases next Tuesday.
Done and very happy with the results so far. [Big Grin]

MAGIC'S WARRIOR (temporary working title of DUAL MAGICS Book 4):
Take a short break from it.
I don't think the break will last much longer. [Smile]

BECOME: TO CATCH THE LIGHTNING (formerly DREAMER'S ROSE): Work on this while I try to recharge my enthusiasm for WAR OF MAGIC with more enthusiasm.
Yes. [Smile]

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Yes. [Smile]

Next Week's Goals:

MAGE STORM:
Think about what else I could do with this story.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE/THE VOICE OF PROPHECY:
Prepare for the Clean Indie Reads Fall sale with these two.

BEYOND THE PROPHECY:
Nothing for this week but just watch.

MAGIC'S WARRIOR (temporary working title of DUAL MAGICS Book 4):
Take a short break from it.

BECOME: TO CATCH THE LIGHTNING (formerly DREAMER'S ROSE):
Work on this while I try to recharge my enthusiasm for WAR OF MAGIC with more enthusiasm.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Week’s Goals:

The Gardener: Work on developing the milieu for more depth and authenticity. Didn’t happen, not a sausage of it, bugger all in fact. [Frown]

Battle School: Explain why the concepts I was discussing in Why Have a War At All are relevant and should be considered when including any type of organised conflict in your story. Didn’t happen either, not a sausage of it, bugger all in fact. [Frown]

The reasons for the lack of progress are simple: 12 years ago I was an über computer tech-head and software geek, then I walked away from that job. Since that time I have ignored technology and assumed the position of a Luddite as technology has passed me by. But now, I’ve decided to allow life to imitate art and I’m getting back into the swing; going wireless LAN, laptop instead of desktop, learning about free Wi-Fi, and running Linux (not certain which version I want to focus on yet) instead of, well, the worlds most dangerous and pernicious computer virus. And on that last note, it took me three days to nuke Windows 8 off my brand spanking newish laptop. So, I’ve been preoccupied while trying to learn how the modern-day digital age all comes together. Great fun! [Confused]

Next Week's Goals

Who knows? I'll just have to take it as it comes while I decide if I need unlimited downloads when my average monthly data use is 1Gb.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
I realized some useful things over the last week or two:

1) I figured out how to make my latest short story concept work well enough to write it. I'm going to try and lay down a rough draft over the next couple weeks.

2) I want to try and write the first draft of my novel idea during NaNoWriMo.

3) That means a *lot* of prep work and prewriting. I used to play at entering NaNoWriMo back when I was in my early 20's and I never got more than a few days in. Looking back on that, I realized it's because I wasn't invested in any of the projects or the characters. I felt like I needed to write some throw-away project so I'd have no emotional investment if I failed. Naturally, that meant I failed every time. This time I care about the story and characters a great deal, and I want to do this right. That means I need to finish a proper outline, write up character bios for quick reference, etcetera. If I do my planning properly, I will hopefully be able to jump right into the actual writing process when the time comes.

Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Thought about waiting a couple of days to add my post but I don't think anything will change by then,

So the only novel I really worked on was Journey of Mystery. And I worked on it in two ways. Now I half way estimate I am between 60,000 word and over 65,000+ but under 70,000. But that is the revised words not written words. I will explain:

First is the actual writing of it: Very little, my MC, Roger Twowinds, has just started the fight with half-dragons I think I mentioned last time. Which is also the beginning of his Ice adventure and the story turns a corner heading toward the finish.

I am also revising it. On that I am at the 60,000 to 65,000+ words count. I may have 3,000 to 10,000 more words written.
Anyway, there Roger and friend has just been attacked by a multi-tenticle sea creature while running.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.