Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » The Icarus Hunt: Timothy Zahn

Author Topic: The Icarus Hunt: Timothy Zahn
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Starting a book with action is a frequent discussion point for us so, figuring 13 lines x 10 words per line = 130 words:

quote:

They were waiting as I stepped through the door into the taverno: three of them, preadult Yavanni, roughly the size of Brahma bulls, looming over me from both sides of the entryway. Big, eager-eyed, and territorial, they were on the prowl and looking for an excuse to squash something soft.

From all indications, it looked like that something was going to be me.

I stopped short just inside the door, and as it swung closed against my back I caught a faint whiff of turpentine from the direction of my would-be assailants. Which meant that along with being young and brash, they were also tanked to the briskets. I was still outside the invisible boundary of the personal territories they'd staked out for themselves in the entryway...

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
J. H. Sorensen
Member # 403

- posted      Profile for J. H. Sorensen   Email J. H. Sorensen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bite. what is this?
Posts: 33 | Registered: Feb 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

The Icarus Hunt, by Timothy Zahn. When in doubt, break glass and see Topic blurb.

(I'm sorry. I couldn't resist. )

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a stinker. "...roughly the size of Brahma bulls..." and "From all indications..." are cliche. These fragments would turn me off immediately.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
As this is a novel I would give it a little bit more of a chance. (I'm asumign it's a novel...I think that's what Sorrenson was actually asking about.) But ONLY because it's a novel and the language hasn't turned me off so much that I feel it would be a chore to read. Quite the contrary, this opening sounds like it should be the opening for a movie rather than a book and a western movie at that. And that's probably the biggest turn off at the moment...because I'm afraid I don't like westerns at a genre, and most things that sound like westerns I tend not to like either.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

<giggle> Doc and I definitely have different reading tastes. Well, that’s not totally true, I suppose, since I wouldn’t necessarily have continued reading here, either, if someone hadn’t told me this book reminded him of mine and I wanted to see how. But a couple things come to mind with Doc’s comments:

As with dialogue, don’t thought patterns give us a flavor of the character? And since clichés are okay in dialogue, by extension they’d be okay in thoughts. Granted, there’s such a thing as deep thought where an author can use words and images the character wouldn’t but which express those thoughts in a less clichéd way, but a shallower mode of thought can and probably should mimic the character’s speech more closely. (And granted you wouldn’t want a character to speak or think only in clichés and become a caricature.) I thought the bull comment worked, given the similarities to a Wild West tavern in this passage and the sort of character the guy was.

Also – and this might be a spoiler here, so beware – the main character has a secret throughout the book which caused him to be less a hero, in my eyes at least although others may not think so, but which redeemed him at the end. I really enjoyed the book despite the brawl opening, which wouldn’t ordinarily have kept me reading, and even despite the shadow I thought the character’s shady past cast on it for me. Now, I had a personal reason to keep reading, but with the hindsight of having read the entire book, I don’t know if Zahn could have, or even should have, approached it differently.

(Yes, it's a novel. Please don't be piqued, J.H. I really didn't know what you were asking. )

Fire-Bringer
Member # 1856

- posted      Profile for Fire-Bringer   Email Fire-Bringer         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing that killed this for me was "brahma bulls" and "briskets." Got me thinking about food and being attacked by a beef roast. It just didn't work. I eat meat, I don't get thrashed by it.

Stinker.

-F

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Kolona:

It's not the comparison to Brahma bulls, it's the dreadfully worded "roughly the size of" that makes this a total stinker to me. I don't want to invest hundreds of pages in a the head of a character that thinks in cliches.

Call them Brahma bulls with flashing neon chips on their beefcake shoulders, or something like that.

I'd rather not read a sentence like: From all indications, it looked like that something was going to be me. Instead I'd rather read three words that describe what those indications are: a gleaming eye? a predator's snarl? a bully's snicker? Anything that's picturesque is better than the pseudo-understated "from all indications," which tells me nothing and merely wastes my time reading three words.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1714

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock           Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is about hooks and all...but I've got to comment on the ending. Wow, did it ever suck...

Card has said something about first-person narrative being difficult to do honestly, IIRC. This is a wonderful illustration.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

Although I would have liked the bull comment to be something more dramatic, too, I thought the first paragraph backed up the indication comment -- supplied the indications. Zahn could have left out the indication phrase part of that sentence entirely, but the phrase seemed wise-cracky and character-appropriate.

Although a brawling scene isn’t a draw for me, still, in keeping with the deep thought vs shallow thought idea, I thought the bull and indication comments gave a sense of the character’s personality and attitude. But I understand where you’re coming from, Doc.

Spoiler alert! Spoiler alert from here on!

I’m torn on that one, pickled. I liked the ending. Had the character been only the one portrayed throughout the book, I’d have not been as glad he resolved the issues, since I find it hard to sympathize with anti-heroes. Had I known who he was throughout, there wouldn’t have been the noble moment when he rises to full stature, which for me was a “Luke, I am your father” moment. (Okay, call me a rube. )

Moreover, because I wanted to keep the guy at arm’s length yet found myself liking him, Zahn invested me more in the character than if I had known the character was indisputably a good guy from the start. With full disclosure, it would have been an entirely different story.

In deference to OSC, I think this is a case of break the rules and count the cost. Had Zahn written the book in third person instead of chancing a less-than-honest first person, I think I’d have had a harder time liking the character, and the revelation then would have seemed author-contrived. And third person without the secret, like first person without the secret, would have been a different story.

And the crapshoot goes on…

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited February 27, 2004).]

pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1714

Spoilers continue...
Crapshoot, no kidding. At the point of the Big Revelation, I wanted to throw the book across the room - but it was from the library, so I couldn't. (Well, I could have...) I really like rogueish heroes - like Han Solo...what a guy...a shame Lucas slaughtered his personality with that stupid Greedo thing - and I really had grown to like this one, up close and personal. When he revealed himself, it was like he'd been lying to me the whole time.

"Little did they know that - oh, and you didn't either - that I was actually an interplanetary super spy!"

Groan...

It's otherwise a great story, though. The ending, aside from the big lie, wasn't bad either.

Kolona
Member # 1438

And still the spoilers continue...

I like roguish heroes, too, to a point. Loved Han Solo. (Why do you say "Lucas slaughtered his personality with that stupid Greedo thing?" Did you not think that was in keeping with his smuggling life?) Maybe McKell, unlike Solo, didn't have someone like Skywalker carrying the noble banner for him while he developed into the noble character he actually was -- kind of like Solo borrowing on Skywalker's purity or honor till he had some of his own.

The revelation really didn't bother me. I suppose it kind of validated how I felt about McKell, so there's probably a psychological thing going on here. Without the revelation, I would have finished the book upset I had been rooting for a rogue. This way, my liking the character was vindicated.

Actually, I submitted this opening because it started with action, a supposedly good thing, though I had been hard-pressed to think of a book that did. Maxey's book came to mind, till I noted that the action scene was in his prologue; the first chapter started more sedately. So I began to wonder if the hoopla about starting with action is not as hoopla-y as we're led to believe.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited February 27, 2004).]

pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1714

I'm talking about the Star Wars Special Edition, where Greedo shoots first and misses Han Solo by a mile. Only then does Solo fire...because, you see, he'd really only shoot someone in self-defense. Riiiiight...

Oh, yeah, we were talking about hooks, weren't we?

Kolona
Member # 1438

Wow. I never saw that version. Maybe I'll try to find that today. I think I agree with you, then.
JVRudnick
Member # 1981

- posted      Profile for JVRudnick   Email JVRudnick         Edit/Delete Post 
<grin> this worked well for me...and I loved the term briskets in relation to the bulls...loved it. Am gonna go to Amazon and buy same too!

Thanks!

Jim

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.