Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » June: The Coda Section

Author Topic: June: The Coda Section
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
The last part of the book is the only one written by Nick, and it's dealing mainly with events that had already been resolved. Did this section drop from the lack of tension? Did you think it still had something to say? Were you frustrated by it? Why would only that segment be narrated by Nick, and why wouldn't his narrative have been included earlier in the book, when we didn't know what was happening on the road to Babylon?
Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
This was sort of a way to tie up loose ends, but Jones is not the only author to do this. If she had done it earlier, it would have meant possibly more chapters with new 1st Person POVs since Jones can't use Maree due to her state at the time. The big trouble I had was I already had figured out Nick wanted to be a Magid, and that wasn't such a surprise. It did move forward with the revelation of the Upper Room, which was appropriate. Telling it from Nick's perspective did mean Jones could finish explaining things. In the end, I was fine with it, though it did seem to drag because even though she 'shows' the action on the road to Babylon (whatever it was), it is 'telling' too.
Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
I could have done without it. It was good information, but it was too long. If the description of the trip to Babylon was shorter, I could have put up with it. I just felt that it was excessive.

Rux

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that there was a problem with this, and one that could have been easily fixed. If the long middle section of Nick's part had been placed in chronological order, it wouldn't have spoiled any surprises (or none that were crucial, anyway) and would have held my interest a lot better. Of course, it could have been a bit shorter, anyway.

The surrounding sections I think were fine as they were. They wouldn't have been too long if the middle section had been placed elsewhere.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.