Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Aug: Beginning

Author Topic: Aug: Beginning
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
The beginning worked for me, it had just enough unknowns to keep me asking questions. I have been trying to look at the book from an editor style viewpoint, but it isn't easy. One thing I did notice was the second chapter. The event was relatively unimportant, no real story value at all. It did serve a purpose in allowing more backgound information while still keeping something moving while it was done.

I think more beggining writers should look at this chapter and see how easily he worked in background informaiton without the three page history lesson.

LDS

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I only decided to read the book after I checked out the sample pages on Amazon.com. They stopped about mid chapter two -- but I was hooked. I was actually rather irritated I couldn't just keep going right then.

It is just enough information to reel you in and just enough of the strang. There is also just enough character development of William to get attached -- he's someone I think most of us could relate to pretty easily. The chapters are short and snappy too; they have a bit of a rhythm to them that propels the reader forward.

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited July 27, 2004).]

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
- Haldeman hooks you very quickly, with the first sentence. The first chapter is only two and a quarter pages long (each short chapter is a scene so it goes quickly).

- In that very short space, he establishes enough background (of the story and the mc) so you know what is going on, and enough of a set-up to keep you going. I felt comfortable pretty quickly - it's like slipping on a new item of clothing at the store that immediately feels like you've owned it for a while.

I think those are probably the two best lessons we can get from the beginning.

- I understood his "army morale" chorus bit, and the impact wears off quickly. Fortunately, he doesn't use it much - if he had, it would have lost its point.

- I wish he had told us what happened to the "Rogers" character.

- So interesting the culture that gets set up early on, as an extrapolation of where our co-ed army might head - especially if we go to the stars long-term. Then he moves it along with each stage of Mandella's life.

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that the beginning is great. The first sentence is fantastic all by itself. And it just got better until I was giddy with excitement after the first chapter.

Haldeman does a great job weaving in the science with the action and characters. Very well done.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.