Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Aug: Language

Author Topic: Aug: Language
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that language has been a discussion in the main forum area several times. I'll admit I'm curious how the rest of you that read it felt. It would be nice to get a understanding of it affected you....or not.

Myself, I wasn't disturbed. I try to avoid cursing in my own writing, but that is a personal choice. (Which I am sure I'll change whenever I think I need to.) For this book, I think that William's attitude for the forced reply "**** you, sir" diminished its impact. Also this being basicly a military book, I think I'd loose some faith in the author if they didn't. The cliche "curse like a sailor" most likely has something to do with saliors cursing.

If you didn't notice...feel free to say so as well.

LDS

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed it the first time or two, but not in a distracting way, and overall it fit with both the situation and the mood of the story. As said above, character attitude gave it a emotive twist. It was interesting to watch the evolution of the **** you tradition over the years. And these are people struggling against horrible odds and conditions. If a few choice words gives them an avenue to vent off some of that, it just doesn't seem like a big thing.

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited July 27, 2004).]

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty much agree with you on that, and know I mentioned it in my response to the Beginning thread.

Haldeman used language appropriately - just enough to give the right flavor, not so much to bore or be a turn-off.

I like that the name "Mandella" doesn't get explained right away. I knew what it was based on from the beginning, but was happy the explanation happened in an organic way, later in the story, instead of forced on you in the beginning.

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I knew what it was based on from the beginning, but was happy the explanation happened in an organic way, later in the story, instead of forced on you in the beginning

I didn't, but that's because I was thinking of Nelson Mandela. Somehow I got stuck thinking it was tied in to that last name. I didn't even consider it as a dilapidation.

I agree about the placement. It works best at the end, when the cyclical nature of evolution is firmly embedded in my head.

Overall, the language didn't bother me. It fit with the situation.

One last note, the name of the planet at the end of the book was just...I had me a good chuckle when I read the name.

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited July 28, 2004).]

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I laughed too.

"Nelson Mandela" - that didn't even occur to me! When I was young, I had a Doodle Art poster that was called "Mandala" and was what the character described. So when I saw his name I automatically thought of my poster. . .

Poor authors - they have no clue if their clues will elicit the right responses. Well, maybe there is no right response. I had an expectation satisfied, and you got a surprise. Should work either way!

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely.
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.