Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » September 2004 Book - Cultures

Author Topic: September 2004 Book - Cultures
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Cultures

We get Sara’s Earth background - I liked how the descriptions keep the story from being too dated - as I reread the story, I was surprised how she avoided too many references that would make the story “old.” Was it enough? Something I noticed this last time - she offers “paper” as an improvement over the wax slates to the Lotharians. Does it make sense that she would forget they don’t have room for forests (and thus the most obvious way to get paper) in the need to grow food? Or maybe she is thinking of the Tane worlds and their resources?

McCaffrey creates an entire world for Lotharians - a history of being cattle (did that bug you for any reason?) and the value of women, of clans and cavesites, of the Warlord’s family and why and how they rule and how that rule is passed on, with varying geography and locations and names, occupations, politics, economics, philosophy, and an explanation of how Lotharians took their invaders technology and made it their own (giving her a chance to have a culture of contradictions in levels of progress and culture). We even get a different colored sun, which makes the grass look blue (or maybe it was blue!). How did Lothar come off as a world for you? Did you believe in it? Can we get past Sara ending on a planet of people who are basically humans?

We even get a few other alien races - the Tane, the Ertoi, and the Glan. They seem to exist to help create political and economic conflict, or provide technological help. Did the author need them to flesh out the story? Did you just enjoy the writing, or wonder about all the different aliens that were about?

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.