Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » September 2004 Book - Background

Author Topic: September 2004 Book - Background
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Background

Obviously, Sara has to learn about her new world and situation. How well do you think McCaffrey does showing and telling? I never felt like something was inserted just to inform me - I thought the background was blended in and naturally included. Obviously Harlan has to tell her things, but due to the situation it didn’t pull me out of the story. How about you?

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't pulled out by the explanations. They were well placed for when they were needed, usually. She did a few weird things with the time factor of 1st person (Explaining things the character didn't know at that point in the story, but did looking back) which I thought killed some tension, but that’s a stylistic choice one can make with a 1st person narrator, even if I’m personally not too fond of it.
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.