Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » September 2004 Book - First Novel

Author Topic: September 2004 Book - First Novel
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
First Novel

“Her first novel, Restoree, was written as a protest against the absurd and unrealistic portrayals of women in s-f novels in the 50s and early 60s.” Restoree was published in 1967, the year McCaffrey turned 41.

(From http://annemccaffrey.org/dragonhold/bio.html)

As a first topic, I thought we could discuss, in general, what you thought of this as a first novel. I enjoyed it enough to read it numerous times - I feel it holds together very well based on all the things that we discuss as necessary to writing something people will read. What did you learn that will help you write a novel and get published?

(I’ll address her purpose in the “Characters” thread.)

I was also encouraged by her age - I was feeling like I was too old to start thinking about writing, and I no longer have that holding me back.

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwalchmai
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Gwalchmai   Email Gwalchmai         Edit/Delete Post 
As a first novel I'm surprised by it's quality in that I didn't think it was particularly good. It seemed to me that McCaffrey didn't really know whetehr to write a story based around the characters or their actions and so didn't go into enough detail on either. I didn't really get a feel for any of the characters except for perhaps Maxil, and Ferril towards the end but likewise I didn't really get a feel for the situation they were in and I never really felt that anybody was in any danger.

The situation felt too controlled and even when Sara and Harlan were being shipwrecked or she was being carried off to the palace by Gorlot's henchmen or even when the Mil were attacking, I never for one moment doubted the outcome. I think the manner of how we viewed the Mil battle prevented there from being any suspense involved and suspense was what was generally missing throughout for me.

As for her age, I don't know. In my mind 41 is nothing for an author. To me it seems a better age to be published since the author is, older, more mature and has experienced more of life. They have also had plenty of time to practice and hone their writing skills.

Posts: 156 | Registered: Nov 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.