Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Wicked - Gregory Maquire

Author Topic: Wicked - Gregory Maquire
TL 601
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for TL 601   Email TL 601         Edit/Delete Post 
A mile above Oz, the Witch balanced on the wind's forward edge, as if she were a green fleck of the land itself, flung up and sent wheeling away by the turbulent air. White and purple summer thunderheads mounded around her. Below, the Yellow Brick Road looped back on itself, like a relaxed noose. Though winter storms and the crowbars of agitators had torn up the road, still it led, relentlessly, to the Emerald City. The Witch could see the companions trudging along, maneuvering around the buckled sections, skirting trenches, skipping when the way was clear. They seemed oblivious of their fate. But it was not up to the Witch to enlighten them. She used the broom as a sort of balustrade, stepping down from the sky like one of her flying monkeys.

[This message has been edited by TL 601 (edited November 22, 2005).]

Posts: 237 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL 601
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for TL 601   Email TL 601         Edit/Delete Post 
To me, that is a great hook.
Posts: 237 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I have this book on my shelf, I totally forgot about it. I agree this is a great hook.
quote:
...as if she were a green fleck of the land itself...

I love that.

Note to self: put Wicked higher on reading list.

So many great books, so little time.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Graff
Member # 2648

- posted      Profile for 'Graff   Email 'Graff         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed it. And the prologue was masterfully done, I was almost instantly immersed in the characters.

My only nit is that he didn't wrap up everything I thought should have been wrapped up. He stopped the story where LF Baum stopped his--but the new tale needed to go further.

I'm glad the sequel is out. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

-----------
Wellington

Posts: 114 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know, I've seen several attempts to use the Oz background and characters to tell new (or revisionist) stories. I liked the Oz books by L. Frank Baum (and the few I've seen by Ruth Plumly Thompson), but I haven't liked more recent things set in Oz (the one that comes to mind is by Philip Jose Farmer).

That being said, I can also say that I have occasionally wondered if maybe the Wicked Witch was getting a raw deal from the others in Oz, and wondered what she would say if she were telling the story. Maybe this is all right.

Ah, well. I suppose if Sauron were the on-stage hero of "The Lord of the Rings," it would all be different than it was.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.