Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Glen Cook

Author Topic: Glen Cook
deRost
Member # 3089

- posted      Profile for deRost   Email deRost         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else find Glen Cook's "Tyranny of the Night" a difficult read?

I find his sentence structure to be very confusing at times, as he often splits a single sentence into two. As an example (these two sentences are made up as I dont have it in front of me, but it illustrates how alot of his sentences are written):

"The patriarch would not be held accountable for wrong doings. Because the army was at fault."

I also find the amount of names, places, events, hierarchy's, etc crammed into each paragraph make it difficult to keep focus on.

I picked up this book because I had read good reviews of Glen Cook, and because the cover looked kick-butt (bad deRost, BAD! Judging a book by it's cover like that. BAD!)

Posts: 16 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheMaia
Member # 3231

- posted      Profile for TheMaia   Email TheMaia         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not read the book, and I have not heard anything about it however I wanted to reply to something else you just said.
I completely believe in judging books by their covers. Now this doesn't apply to all books but when I have no idea what to read I will go to book stores and just look for a cover to stand out to me. That is how I usually find new authors I like. Or ones I don't like.
But anyway. I know what you mean. I read a book once that drove me crazy to read because it was obvious that the author should never have been published if it were under normal circumstances. But I read it anyway just because of who wrote it.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.